Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2019, 18:42   #46

Boat: Whitby 42
Re: Anyone Using Spot Devices???

I bought a spare just in case would you like to buy it at a discount still using original with confidence. Email me at rosspegg@outlook.com
Nauticuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 19:01   #47

Time for a poll........................
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 13:31   #48

Boat: John Traylor - Cutter Rigged Sloop - 65'

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Yes, Garmin introduced a newer version of the Explorer with full GPS functionality, including map/chart display. Unfortunately, it only supports maps/charts sourced via Garmin. This does inclued OpenStreet Map's maps (topos & road maps) and NOAA charts (USA only) and is a small display. No ability to import maps/charts from other sources, but you can import routes & waypoints. For my purposes I found that limited ability not so useful so did not upgrade from my Delorme Explorer.

With either model you can pair with EarthMate running on your phone/tablet. This gives you a bigger map/chart display and makes entering messages WAY easier than pecking them out one painful character at a time on the device itself.
Seems like a viable option is to purchase a used/older/cheaper Delorme unit, as that unit is still supported by Garmin and appears to provide the same features as the InReach SE+ and can be used with the EarthMate app. Can anyone confirm this experience first hand with a Delorme unit?

I don't need the extra map features of the InReach Explorer+.

Can anyone con
MoonlightSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 17:05   #49

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlightSailor View Post
Seems like a viable option is to purchase a used/older/cheaper Delorme unit, as that unit is still supported by Garmin and appears to provide the same features as the InReach SE+ and can be used with the EarthMate app. Can anyone confirm this experience first hand with a Delorme unit?

I don't need the extra map features of the InReach Explorer+.

Can anyone con
Yes, the Garmin SE can be used with Earthmate.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 18:37   #50

Boat: Catalina 470

I used a Spot for many years and have now used the Inreach for two years. I believe the Inreach is a much better piece of equip. The app makes communication and weather predictions very easy. I do miss gribs.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 20:38   #51

Boat: Ocean Alexander

I bought a Delorme inReach in 2015 and have used it on our sailboat from Seattle, up the coast to Kodak, Alaska and back down through Southeast Alaska over the course of 2 and a half years. I also brought it moose hunting with me this year on the Koyukuk River in Northern Alaska, just south of the Brooks Range. Never had a hiccup. My friends have always been able to contact me and know where I am. My only complaint is their weather forcasting service leaves a bunch to be desired.
Old 06-01-2019, 23:50   #52

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska JD View Post
My only complaint is their weather forcasting service leaves a bunch to be desired.
A while before they introduced that service, another enterprising hiker put together a service to deliver forecasts. You might find it more useful than the Garmin service. (https://wx2inreach.weebly.com/)
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote