Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2023, 06:50   #31

Re: Anyone with experience using "hull shield" ultrasonic antifouling system?

I'd add one last observation of the article. That each manufacturer installed their gear themselves. No sidestepping by questioning installation.

Another interesting tidbit there were no differences between the 4 brands. All provided some modest improvements. Seems odd that no one stood out one way or the other.

The only item I could see that might make a difference is whether the devices were left 'ON' all the time which is not mentioned. HullShield (a new entrant and not in the 2015 test) states that their system must be run 24/7. Periods of inactivity will quickly allow growth to form and since UA is not extremely strong, it has no way to remove growth. Would have been helpful if the PBO article provided insight into how the devices were operated over the season.

I have always found testimonial evidence vs some sort of testing such as PBO did frustrating. Would seem pretty easy to do if one were motivated which i assume manufacturers are. I guess it's possible that it's been tested but the results were less than compelling and were never released.

Search continues....
Old 09-03-2023, 08:54   #32

Boat: Alajuela 33

I seem to recall Practical Sailor doing a test on an ultrasonic antifouling unit maybe a decade ago.

They had two boats with the same bottom paint in the same marina, and put the ultrasonic unit on one.

As I recall, they gave up on the test after a couple months when it showed no affect.
Old 09-03-2023, 08:57   #33
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by japawil View Post
I seem to recall Practical Sailor doing a test on an ultrasonic antifouling unit maybe a decade ago.

They had two boats with the same bottom paint in the same marina, and put the ultrasonic unit on one.

As I recall, they gave up on the test after a couple months when it showed no affect.
I admin a Facebook group for professional hull cleaners (2700 members) and I posted the question this morning- "What has been your experience (if any) with ultrasonic anti fouling systems." I'll let it run all day and post the results here later on.

So far, not looking so good for you ultrasonic advocates
Old 09-03-2023, 09:19   #34

Re: Anyone with experience using "hull shield" ultrasonic antifouling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
If you think I am trying to protect my livelihood from a device that nobody uses, you are sadly mistaken. I mean, I understand why it suits you to infer that I have an ax to grind, but having been in this business for over 28 years and in all that time have never lost a customer (or even had a reduction in cleaning frequency) to an ultrasonic system? Yeah, I'm not particularly concerned about a loss of revenue. So either the manufacturers haven't figured out how to sell them or the systems don't perform as advertised. But since a device that (according to the video) essentially eliminates the need for in-water hull cleaning hasn't caught on by now, I know on which possibility I'd bet my money.
@fstbttms I do want to pick your brain in the topic of bottom paint. On my last large vessel (Carver C40) after a good research, I ended up painting the bottom with SeaHawk Biocop TF and it was amazing. I hauled the boat a year later with zero growth. I am in contract to buy a 45' catamaran. The idea is to go full time sailing in few years. Everybody is telling me to go with Coppercoat. Do you have a professional recommendation? I will appreciate to take advantage of your knowledge
Old 09-03-2023, 09:45   #35
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hezi973 View Post
@fstbttms I do want to pick your brain in the topic of bottom paint. On my last large vessel (Carver C40) after a good research, I ended up painting the bottom with SeaHawk Biocop TF and it was amazing. I hauled the boat a year later with zero growth. I am in contract to buy a 45' catamaran. The idea is to go full time sailing in few years. Everybody is telling me to go with Coppercoat. Do you have a professional recommendation? I will appreciate to take advantage of your knowledge
Where do you do your boating?
Old 09-03-2023, 09:48   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by japawil View Post

You are correct on all counts. Here is the PS report from 2012. The manufacturer is no longer in business.

https://www.practical-sailor.com/boa...ng-test-update
Old 09-03-2023, 10:55   #37

Quote:
Where do you do your boating?
I am going to take the Cat in France. Get few months worth of work there and as soon as weather/season permit, Going to cross the Atlantic. I am going to stay about 2 years north of NYC on the Hudson and will sail in fresh to salt water (boat will dock in brackish). After that, the plan is to go travel the world in much much warmer latitudes
Old 09-03-2023, 11:01   #38
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hezi973 View Post
I am going to take the Cat in France. Get few months worth of work there and as soon as weather/season permit, Going to cross the Atlantic. I am going to stay about 2 years north of NYC on the Hudson and will sail in fresh to salt water (boat will dock in brackish). After that, the plan is to go travel the world in much much warmer latitudes
Well, I am a fan of neither Sea Hawk paints or Coppercoat. But forced to choose between the two, I'd go with Biocop. I know lots of hull divers in Florida who swear by it.

I wouldn't wish Coppercoat on an enemy.
Old 09-03-2023, 11:09   #39

Location: Florida, Off the Caloosahatchee Canal for the Summer
Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

FB, Here is a thread asking anyone for information on success with ultrasonic devices to impair marine growth. There have been 39 posts so far, including this one. 14 (Fourteen) of them (over 1/3rd) have been by you stating that they don't work.

Follow the money. As stated in the other threads about this, people who make their money on boats that accumulate bottom growth are hardly unbiased when it comes to giving factual information about a product that, if it works, has the potential of putting them out of business, or at least severely impacting their income.

Why are you so vociferous in trying to censor or disparage any free exchange of information regarding ultrasonic anti fouling devices? If they truly don't do anything at all, I'd think you'd just laugh and remain silent!

In the words of the immortal Bard, "The lady doth protest too much, methinks" Please substitute "Laddy" for "Lady"
Old 09-03-2023, 11:14   #40
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueH2Obound View Post
Why are you... trying to censor or disparage any free exchange of information regarding ultrasonic anti fouling devices?
Gee, hypocrite much? I have done neither of those things. But you certainly have.

It seems that some of you don't like what this hull cleaning professional has to say about the subject. I find it ironic that instead of proving me wrong, the best you can do is to lie about my intentions.
Old 09-03-2023, 11:17   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueH2Obound View Post
FB, Here is a thread asking anyone for information on success with ultrasonic devices to impair marine growth. There have been 39 posts so far, including this one. 14 (Fourteen) of them (over 1/3rd) have been by you stating that they don't work.

Follow the money. As stated in the other threads about this, people who make their money on boats that accumulate bottom growth are hardly unbiased when it comes to giving factual information about a product that, if it works, has the potential of putting them out of business, or at least severely impacting their income.

Why are you so vociferous in trying to censor or disparage any free exchange of information regarding ultrasonic anti fouling devices? If they truly don't do anything at all, I'd think you'd just laugh and remain silent!

In the words of the immortal Bard, "The lady doth protest too much, methinks" Please substitute "Laddy" for "Lady"[emoji3]
Yea, same on a trawler specific group. Roughly 30% of the posts are from fstbttms saying outlandish things with his only proof being "I've been a bottom diver for 28 years and cleaned 42,000 hulls." A real buzz-kill.
Old 09-03-2023, 11:19   #42

Quote:
Gee, hypocrite much? I have done neither of those things. But you certainly have.

It seems that some of you don't like what this hull cleaning professional has to say about the subject. I find it ironic that instead of proving me wrong, the best you can do is to lie about my intentions.
Its customary that when an intelligent person takes a forceful position, its supported by a modicum of fact, not wait for it to be disproven. Problem is you make no effort to prove yourself right. Just hang your hat on credentials that few believe and fewer still care about.
Old 09-03-2023, 11:22   #43
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Yea, same on a trawler specific group. Roughly 30% of the posts are from fstbttms saying outlandish things with his only proof being "I've been a bottom diver for 28 years and cleaned 42,000 hulls." A real buzz-kill.
"Outlandish"? Please quote me. Prove to everybody here that anything I have ever posted in either group is not true.

You won't, because you can't. I have the knowledge and experience that you do not, and am 100% more qualified to speak on this subject than you are. So, like your pal above, the best you can do is to slander me.
Old 09-03-2023, 11:34   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
And this is in the UK, where fouling conditions are much less robust than in places like southern California or Florida. If ultrasonics can't do the job in relatively cold, sunless regions like the UK, how well do they perform in places where fouling is a serious concern?
Lets just correct that statement shall we? Whilst there are areas with low fouling, sadly in Southern UK its a real battle. Not the fouling you see just lifting off as a diver with a scraper just glides along on You Tube, but fine grass and barnacles thriving in the nutrient warm waters up to 20c in the summer.

Small pressure washers struggle and we need the clubs diesel powered hot water pressure washer to do a good job. Still take an hour. Those floor scrubbing pads used on rotary machines make a good hand held alternative.
I wish it wasn't such a problem but even with the best antifoul paint allowed its a battle.

We don't use divers.

Pete
Old 09-03-2023, 11:38   #45

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Please to all of you who participate in this thread, let's not be disrespectful and let's maintain respect for the opinions of others.
Closed Thread

Tags
enc, hull