Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2016, 18:26   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: VZ 16
Best pain for antifouling

Hello,

very soon I need to do an antifouling on my boat and would like to ask which one do you recomend?

I am cruising in Virgin Islands area and got lot of life under my boat
I need paint that is very resistance for algae and other sea life.

My flap sterings are totaly blocked because of that

If somebody knows any good place where I can do this service in St Thomas would be greatful.
Jack_Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:40   #2

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
Re: Best pain for antifouling

As you know, different regions, salinity levels, sea water temperatures and sea-life reproductive cycles call for different paints to optimize performance. Then there's the budget vs performance consideration - or "barnacle per buck"

I've personally had a good experience with Trinidad Pro (has the slime resistance of Trinidad SR in there but seems to work better) in the warm waters of the gulf.

My best advice would be to perform an anecdotal survey of the cruisers around you - as much of the advice will fall into the realm of subjectivity. Unless you have 10 identical boats all in the same location, all painted at the same time with 10 different paints, it'd be difficult to objectively qualify which would work best for a specific location.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:05   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: VZ 16
Re: Best pain for antifouling

Thank you for respond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post

I've personally had a good experience with Trinidad Pro (has the slime resistance of Trinidad SR in there but seems to work better) in the warm waters of the gulf.

As you said I spoke with some local captains and marine stores and Trinidad Pro is highly recomended in Virgin Islands. Boat was shipped from Italy and I forgot to ask about what paint was used on her, but I did some extra boat cleaning and found Trynidad SR.
Also Micron 66 was high on the list.
Jack_Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote