Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2021, 11:48   #1

Boat: 1984 Pearson 386, 38ft
Best Value for cockpit cushions and saloon cushions?

I'm currently cruising south on our Pearson 386 sailboat, Busy Being Born, and am looking to hear of any recommended vendors for custom cushions for the cockpit and interior saloon. There has to be some go to places? I thought I heard there is some place cheap in the Bahamas...

We have a dog and her nails seem to punture holes/tear our current set. So any durable recommendations is a bonus!

Thanks in advance!!

Matt
mrogers23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 13:38   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Best Value for cockpit cushions and saloon cushions?

Get the material off ebay or similar. Color of your choice Sunbrella. My cockpit cushion covers of Sunbrella (happen to be dark red on top and white on the bottom, as we reverse them where the dark red gets too hot to walk on barefoot) are now about 12 yrs. old, and just beginning to look worn. The cushion itself is closed cell foam.

I'm sure any upholsterer can do it for you, you don't need a marine service, because a cushion is a cushion, and upholstered chairs have funny corners to get around, don't worry about that. Pick whatever you like for the interior. It should be comfortable and washable if you drag wet sails through the saloon.

If you have a sewing machine, you can make them. Learn on the simple shapes. Personally, i prefer plastic #10 zippers to velcro. If you need new foam, visit a foam shop.

Ann

Tags
cockpit, cushions, saloon