Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2018, 06:45   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Cabin Heaters: Which is Best and Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
... Has anyone ever used a 12v heater like this in a small space? ...
Not very much heat, at about 150 Watt (or less).

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:04   #62
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Not very much heat, at about 150 Watt (or less).
But enough to take the edge off things?
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:19   #63

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
The only edge it will take off is from your batteries.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:49   #64

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
I agree with @Dockhead. 150W is not helpful in warming things up. You might as well turn on a couple of light bulbs.

You'll get more useful heat by percing a pot of coffee. Consider a small propane heater. Play "rock, paper, scissors" to see who has to get up and start the engine to get some real heat in the camper. Start a portable generator and run a real heater while you charge batteries and heat water. Stack your clothes close at hand and put on socks and long underwear under the covers. Get a bus heater for whatever fuel you run your camper on.

You wouldn't buy a 150W hair dryer. Don't expect anything useful from a 150W heater.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:03   #65

Quote:
So... we do NOT need heat on our boat - we have no intention of ever leaving the tropics in it! BUT, at the moment we're in the UK and travelling a lot in the campervan. And it's winter here. And cold at night when the engine (and therefore heater) is off. Not a problem for sleeping we have doubled up the duvets.... but in the morning it's a bit uncomfortable getting dressed.

Has anyone ever used a 12v heater like this in a small space?

I was thinking of wiring it directly into the housekeeping battery... and connecting a switch so we can use it while stationary. Any feedback?
As others have said: Useless. Get a catalytic heater fed by green propane bottles (US). Use the techniques mentioned for getting dressed, then fire it up. It takes but a few minutes to get going. I don't have heat on our boat unless plugged in. Having moved to southwest BC in 2016, that heater has been fine for shoulder season at anchor or on park docks with no electricity. It's equivalent to a 1500 watt electric heater. Nowhere near as good as my friends' diesel heaters, but I haven't gotten there, yet. Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:34   #66

If you use the propane heater, make sure you have a window(s)/door(s) cracked open to lit in combustion air otherwise bad things can happen.

We used to use a white gas heater years ago when camping but always had windows open in the vehicle or tent. We stayed warm even with the openings.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 12:16   #67

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

You don't need heat, camping out in winter in the UK? I'm writing this from one of the warmest spots in the UK, and I am tell you that I sure need heat. It's 6C right now. My Eber is not functional and I've got about 5kW of electric heat going, and it's just about comfortable.

I would sure spring for a small Webasto or something, if I were you. Or one of those inexpensive Russian Planar heaters which are popular in the UK at the moment..
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 13:05   #68
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

I agree get a little planar off eBay the 3k unit can be had for $200 USD and it comes with its own 2.5 US gallon fuel tank. In a campervan dead easy install.
Old 12-01-2018, 13:07   #69
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
You don't need heat, camping out in winter in the UK? I'm writing this from one of the warmest spots in the UK, and I am tell you that I sure need heat. It's 6C right now. My Eber is not functional and I've got about 5kW of electric heat going, and it's just about comfortable.

I would sure spring for a small Webasto or something, if I were you. Or one of those inexpensive Russian Planar heaters which are popular in the UK at the moment..
come on 6c that's 43f. Aka tee shirt and shorts weather
Old 12-01-2018, 17:27   #70
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We just drove down to the in-laws for xmas. It went down to minus 9 the first night, so the MiL let us and the dogs sleep on a mattress in the basement. I can't tell you what a relief it was....!
Old 12-01-2018, 18:21   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

The only low wattage thing that will give decent heat is an electric blanket, electric throw or maybe a heating pad.
To get the air warm in the morning a propane heater with a reflector is hard to beat, it’s not a leave on kind of thing due to CO and fire danger, but in the Military I carried one and would light it about 20 min before getting up and it would drive off the damp chill.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 21:41   #72

Boat: Kaufman 47

For a campervan, I would have already installed a remote start. Wale up, reach for your keys, push a button and your van starts up. All from the warmth of your bed. When the van warms up, get up and start your day. We have it on our truck and it's essential when we visit in Massachusetts in winters.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 14:23   #73

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

If you're in a cool/cold climate, a diesel stove is probably the best solution. It gives a lot of heat, you already have the fuel, and by adding a coil, you can make hot water, too. Most new stoves come with a water coil or have the option. In warm weather I have a couple induction hot plates that can work off the inverter. My bbq can double as an oven.
I spent a lifetime on the water and picked a large boat for my last one. An old 83', wood planked hull. I wanted comfort and I spend my time in the North Pacific. I can heat the boat with diesel, wood, wood pellets and electricity. The cheapest way is wood, if available free and I do the work. Otherwise about $150/cord. But storage is a big problem. In really cold weather about 2 cords a month. Adding some coal lumps on overnight burns helps in the morning (about $5/5gallon bucket). Next cheapest is wood pellets. If diesel is cheap ($2/gallon), then it beats electricity, $.07/kwh where I am. Average winter heating, near the Oregon coast is about $7/day for the whole boat. At 0° about $12-15/day using a combination of diesel, pellets, and electricity. With a little thought, I tied it all together with hydronic heating and engine coolant.
Propane would come in between wood pellets and diesel, but I don't use explosive fuels inside the hull. My alternators aren't shielded, etc., and I've had enough of that kind of excitement.
Todays diesel doesn't burn well. Some complain of soot. Using #1 diesel or adding a catalyst to #2 solves the soot problem with a proper stack.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 16:06   #74
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The only low wattage thing that will give decent heat is an electric blanket, electric throw or maybe a heating pad.
To get the air warm in the morning a propane heater with a reflector is hard to beat, it’s not a leave on kind of thing due to CO and fire danger, but in the Military I carried one and would light it about 20 min before getting up and it would drive off the damp chill.
I guess we'd better just keep putting the kettle on in the morning then!
Old 14-01-2018, 17:25   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Cabin Heaters: Which is Best and Why?

We have an electric throw, on the sticker it says 130 Watts.
I have measured close to 100W on high with a Kill-A-Watt meter, but what’s interesting is when you turn it down, it then pulses that 100W on and off, the lower the setting the longer time between pulses and I assume the shorter the on pulse, but I’ve not really studied it. I ought to leave it on the kill a watt as it will tell me the cumulative draw.

Meaning we can stay toasty warm in the bed for I think about 50W or less which is about a 5 amp draw on battery, or say 40 AH for an eight hour night. It may well be less.
That ain’t bad.
We put a light blanket on top of the heated throw to hold in its heat.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin