Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2012, 17:06   #1

Boat: Catalina 350
Consew 199R-2A

There is a Consew 199R-2A at a local estate sale. Does anyone have any experience with this machine? I can't tell if it has a walking foot. I think the needle is too small at 16x95.

Here is a site offering a new one for $2K so you can see the specifications. I want to use it for cavas and sail repair. If I can get it cheap, great - but I don't want to spend the money if it's not the right tool.

Consew 199R-2A 3 Step 2 Stitch, 9.5mm Zigzag, Straight Stitch 5mm, Reverse, Industrial Sewing Machine 199R2A, 10"Arm, 15/64"Lift, 3200SPM, Power Stand at AllBrands.com

Any feedback is appeciated.

Thanks,

Windseeker
Windseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 17:23   #2

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Re: Consew 199R-2A

just a quick look and it looks like more of a garment machine.. with 5mm for a streight stitch, that is only about 1/8 of an inch. the machine I have here for doing marine canvas has a stitch length of over 11mm.. the zig-zag is also rated at only 3/8 of an inch, much to narrow for sail repair IMO. my zig-zag set them in at 1/2 inch..
and last, the machine is designed to run up to 32hundred RPM.... never sewed that fast.. garment machines are rated and ballanced at higher RPMs, have and run smaller needles and wont take the larger diameter 138 thread needed for sewing marine canvas....
Bought a juki 5550 awhine back and thought It would be a great second machine, wrong, as it was a garment machine.. sold it last weekend for 100 dollars
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 17:24   #3

Boat: Catalina 350

Let me add something. In Don Casey's book, he states that a #18 is going to be a common size for canvas work. A needle up to size 22 may be needed. I'm looking at the manual online and it says standard needles 16x231 up to size 19 and 16x95 in all sizes. I just do not know what that means. Can I use an 18 or 22 needle?
Windseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 17:26   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windseeker View Post
Let me add something. In Don Casey's book, he states that a #18 is going to be a common size for canvas work. A needle up to size 22 may be needed. I'm looking at the manual online and it says standard needles 16x231 up to size 19 and 16x95 in all sizes. I just do not know what that means. Can I use an 18 or 22 needle?

Most all of my work is done with a 22 or a 23 needle............
Old 29-03-2012, 14:52   #5

Boat: Haida 26

This is a light uplostery machine, has twin needles and not enough presser foot lift. I wouldn't bother with this one..Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 07:10   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyjean View Post
This is a light uplostery machine, has twin needles and not enough presser foot lift. I wouldn't bother with this one..Michael..

The "22" model is a double neddle, The "2A" is a double stitch in zig,zag mode. making two stitches across the plane of the zigzag.
Old 30-03-2012, 09:41   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windseeker View Post

See Machine Needles | Singer Sewing for an explation on needle size. A quick guiide is what the manufactor of the sewing machine recommends.

Common sewing machines move the fabric from the bottom with the top foot stationary. Needle in and out of the fabric to create a stich. Bottom foot moves fabric to the stich lenght. Needle in and out to create next stich.

A walking foot machines works the same way except the top foot is movable. The top and bottom feet pinch the fabric and move the fabric.
Needle in and out of the fabric to create a stich. Bottom and top foot moves fabric to the stich lenght. Needle in and out to create next stich.
You can get walking foot attachments for machines. The difference is the attachment is move by friction of the bottom foot. A machine designed as a walking foot machine moves the top foot mechanically with the motor.

A compound walking foot machine is one that inserts the needle in the fabric and moves for it's stich lenght. Needle in. Bottom and top foot moves fabric to the stich lenght while needle is in the fabric. Stich created. Needle out and needle moves to the stich length to create next stich.

Hope this helps.

Gordon
gmau is offline   Reply With Quote