Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2007, 19:08   #1

Boat: Dufour 455GL
Cruising Shute

Has anyone experience the the ATN "Tacker" which locates the tack of the shute on the furled headsail.
I am odering a shute and lookin at the fitting options.
nickc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 10:30   #2

Boat: Catalina 400
Hi Nick,

Yes, I have used it. Very easy. You will like it. Plus, with a tad bit of modification, you can hook one end of your Hammock on there for lazy days at anchor (which is much more important, you understand!!!).

It works like advertised.

- CD
Old 29-06-2007, 11:39   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Dos a search on "ATN Tacker". There have been four threads on the subject in the last 12 months.

Cheers
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 22:21   #4
GreatKetch

And REALLY easy to make one! A bit of webbing, some sail cloth...
Why buy when you can make yourself?

Bill
Old 20-12-2020, 21:26   #5

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30
Re: Cruising Shute

With respect:
The asymmetric spinnaker, or MPS (multi-purpose sail), is properly spelled “cruising chute“, not “cruising shute“
I’ve not used the ATN Tacker, but the normally I fly the tack of my MPS only about 0.1m above the top of the bow pulpit on a non-adjustable strop (for simplicity). I sized the luff of the chute this way when I had it made.
So there’s no need of the Tacker as the tack never goes very far to leeward. Since the tack height is not adjustable; if I want more belly in the sail, I just slack the halyard a bit. Having the tack low down also minimizes healing when you are reaching with the cruising chute.
However, if you usually fly your MPS tack way above the deck, then the ATN Tacker would be useful to keep the tack from blowing far to leward; better to keep the tack close to the centerline of the boat...
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote