Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2023, 14:41   #31

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Defender Marine is exceptional

Defender is pedestrian.

Same exact prices as west marine at this point.

First pic is Defender website.

Second pic is West Marine website.

West marine is slightly better at this point because they have local stores.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FC1DB8A6-F5A4-4708-BB35-EB145738826C.jpeg
Views:	323
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	279901   Click image for larger version

Name:	4AFD89E2-0275-4D70-92AD-27883F741E2D.jpeg
Views:	309
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	279902  

Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2023, 08:50   #32

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I used to buy all my stuff at Defender and have for the most part switched to Fisheries Supply for the reasons stated upthread. I'm in Minnesota where there aren't any local chandleries with meaningful depth of inventory.

I use Hodges for electronics.

I was getting stuff from Defender, then their website got hacked, and my credit card got stolen which was a huge mess, and I think that is what probably precipitated the buyout.

Now like you I am pretty much Fisheries as a first stop, and have bought so much from them on my account I am getting amazing prices on most things, although I still do shop it around because at times on certain things Amazon can be cheaper.
Old 15-07-2024, 11:13   #33

Boat: Hans Christian 41 T

I went to their website today and for some reason I have been blocked. I cannot think of any action on my part that would cause this. Has this happened to any of you?
Old 15-07-2024, 11:21   #34

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigdaddy View Post
I went to their website today and for some reason I have been blocked. I cannot think of any action on my part that would cause this. Has this happened to any of you?
Are you connecting from Mexico (based on your profile it says you're in MX)? They may be blocking foreign IP addresses to reduce perceived or real fraud or scams. More information on how you've been blocked or what message you're getting would be helpful.
PNWSalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2024, 11:28   #35

Boat: Hunter 340

One nice thing about defender is they usually ship the same day and they have overnight shipping. They have most stuff so when I really need a part yesterday I usually use defender.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2024, 12:49   #36

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statistical View Post
One nice thing about defender is they usually ship the same day and they have overnight shipping. They have most stuff so when I really need a part yesterday I usually use defender.
That’s odd. My experience has been that many items listed as “in stock” are now “in stock” at a remote location and take two to three days to make it to their warehouse in Waterford. After they pulled this stunt one too many times I now do 10% of my business with them and 90% elsewhere. Those percentages were reversed before the corporate acquisition.
Their pricing is no longer attractive and their customer service is based on asking the right questions. Their selection of merchandise has also declined dramatically.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2024, 17:42   #37

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigdaddy View Post
I had to switch VPN location to ge to the Defender website. I presume like others they are blocking foriegn connections.
Old 15-07-2024, 19:04   #38

Boat: Custom 28' Power Catamaran

Years ago I bought a boat in New London, CT. Niagara 35. I had about a week or so to get it ready to go.

I asked some random guy on the dock if he knew of any marine supplies stores anywhere in the area. He looked at me kind of weird…..”You haven’t heard of Defender”?

I hadn’t, and replied as such….then decided to try it. Drove my rental car there. Oh wow, what a pleasant surprise! I spend about the next 2 weeks going there sometimes up to twice a day….they had everything, and were super polite, knowledgeable and helpful.

I am glad they are still there and still doing well….
massnspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2024, 01:15   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Just now, I had NO problem accessing Defender’s U.S. & Canadian website[s], from a Canadian IP address.
US➥ https://defender.com/en_us/
CA ➥ https://defender.ca/en_ca/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2024, 01:46   #40

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

As most have said….. they use to be my go to and spent $1,000’s there over the years. However since the new ownership prices are not the best. Still buy from them but find better prices and purchase elsewhere.
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2024, 05:19   #41

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSail View Post
As most have said….. they use to be my go to and spent $1,000’s there over the years. However since the new ownership prices are not the best. Still buy from them but find better prices and purchase elsewhere.
Agreed. I've been buying from them less often. Their prices on some items are still good, but they're no longer the best price for 90% of stuff like they used to be.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2024, 05:40   #42

Boat: Cal 33-2

I've been a Defender customer for decades. I do agree that things have changed since the recent acquisition by the new owners. Prices are still good for most things, but no longer almost always the lowest or close to lowest. After some customer service issues right after the acquisition, things are much better. Shipping is quick, typically arriving in a day or two here on Long Island. In the old days, you had to pay for shipping for everything, but they didn't charge sales tax. Now you pay sales tax but they have free shipping over $99. Not hard to make that limit on boat stuff.
Old 16-07-2024, 05:53   #43
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

their prices are no better than West Marine .. which is pretty bad

Tags
fender, marine

« Bavaria warranty | - »