Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2023, 10:17   #1

Defender Marine is exceptional

I've been buying from Defender Marine since 1978. Always happy with the price and service.
I recently read that they were purchased by a Canadian company with a background in motorcycle accessories.
I wondered if this would affect their dedication to the boating community.
I am pleased to report they are better than ever. They remain honest and their people are really hard working. Even working weekends to program my new Navico AIS. Ordered on Friday, shipped out Monday. Exceptional.
Sansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2023, 10:27   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Defender Marine is exceptional

So far, my only complaints since the buyout are that their prices are no longer as good and they've discontinued their splicing services. But otherwise, they've still been great to deal with.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2023, 10:45   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I had been a longtime patron and fan. Since the change is ownership the selection has fallen precipitously while the prices have risen…precipitously. They are frequently underpriced by West Marine. I never thought I’d see the day THAT happened. The people were and are great…the business plan of profits over all else has driven many to seek alternatives.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2023, 21:41   #4

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

I've spent many many thousands of dollars with Defender over the last few years. The new website sucks IMO. The prices are way way higher. I no longer consider them my first stop and lately I hardly check them at all.

I'm glad our major refit purchases are over and most were made when they had great service and great prices.

It's a shame really as I feel I have lost my go to shopping spot. No other single place has replaced it for me. I check Hodges Marine a lot now but my last 5 purchases have been from different boating websites.
Old 27-07-2023, 05:54   #5

Boat: Sabre 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
I've spent many many thousands of dollars with Defender over the last few years. The new website sucks IMO. The prices are way way higher. I no longer consider them my first stop and lately I hardly check them at all.

I'm glad our major refit purchases are over and most were made when they had great service and great prices.

It's a shame really as I feel I have lost my go to shopping spot. No other single place has replaced it for me. I check Hodges Marine a lot now but my last 5 purchases have been from different boating websites.
^^ this

Spent thousands on Defender, prices are no longer competitive and website is not as user friendly, I check other sources first now, still shop at Defender though but not as much.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2023, 07:12   #6

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

an alternative site, inventory is not as extensive, prices most times competitive and customer service most times very good.

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/

===========
didnt pay attention,FlyingScot already mentioned thiis site
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2023, 07:21   #7

Boat: Tartan 3800

I used to buy all my stuff at Defender and have for the most part switched to Fisheries Supply for the reasons stated upthread. I'm in Minnesota where there aren't any local chandleries with meaningful depth of inventory.

I use Hodges for electronics.
Old 27-07-2023, 08:19   #8

Boat: Tartan 37

Interesting first post?

Used to order from them quite a bit. Bought a new Achilles inflatable from them a few years ago, had a few leaks right out the box. When asking for assistance they where rude and unhelpful.

I avoid them whenever possible now.
ABJ87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2023, 08:50   #9

Defender went through a VERY rough patch on customer service right after the ownership change. The changeover was truly terribly handled.

My experience is that has gotten back to where it should be. They recently have worked with us on several things, and done right by us.

Prices are not what they used to be. They are no longer always the cheapest around on all things. But that's just the way. They will have to re-calibrate that as time goes by to see what makes sense for them. Who is the cheapest changes with time. It is not rare these days that West Marine is price competitive. A few years ago that would have been unthinkable.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2023, 09:26   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

I have 3 items in my Defender cart: $128.
I saw the referral for Fisheries Supply, so out of curiosity, I put the same 3 items in my cart there: $151.
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2023, 11:27   #11

Defender was hands down the best place for me to shop before the acquisition. I have spent more than $20K there over the years, as I have bought several big purchases from them. Now it is hit or miss. The new website is not user friendly and some prices have gone way up. And they basically took my Defender First annual membership fee (paid a few months before the acquisition was announced) and told me to shove it. I still shop there but now I price things out everywhere else too. If they have what I want for the right price, then it is a no brainer, as speed of delivery is fantastic for me (overnight via UPS Ground). But they are no longer my default option.
Plumbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2023, 12:05   #12

Boat: Catalina 42

I live pretty near Defender. They had an actual physical store with tons of stuff in the adjacent warehouse.

They used to have an annual Warehouse Sale in March where the discounted their already low prices by a bunch more. It was always mobbed but very well run. Lots of mfr. reps were there, it was great.

I agree with the prior posters about the new website and new prices. I don't like either. I've not been back in person, but I hear the store is pretty much gone, they want to sell online.

West Marine is now my go to place. I actually still use Defender for stuff West doesn't keep in stock, but West is just easier. Hate that new Defender website, it is pretty hinky on my iPad.
Reeve21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2023, 12:26   #13

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRobertJr View Post
I have 3 items in my Defender cart: $128.
I saw the referral for Fisheries Supply, so out of curiosity, I put the same 3 items in my cart there: $151.

What are the totals after shipping? Defender's shipping rates are way out of whack. I no longer use them for this reason.
Old 27-07-2023, 12:42   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
What are the totals after shipping? Defender's shipping rates are way out of whack. I no longer use them for this reason.
For my order, the Defender shipping is $4, which brings the total to $132. I could not get an estimated shipping from Fisheries Supply without registering, but even with free shipping, their price is $151.

I am sure it matters what you are buying. I saw the endorsement for Fisheries Supply, so I took a look. In this case, they did not beat Defender, which tells me that not all their prices are unreasonable and uncompetitive. I do not always buy from Defender, but I have not boycotted them either.
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2023, 12:44   #15

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRobertJr View Post
For my order, the Defender shipping is $4, which brings the total to $132. I could not get an estimated shipping from Fisheries Supply without registering, but even with free shipping, their price is $151.

I am sure it matters what you are buying. I saw the endorsement for Fisheries Supply, so I took a look. In this case, they did not beat Defender, which tells me that not all their prices are unreasonable and uncompetitive. I do not always buy from Defender, but I have not boycotted them either.

Ok fair enough. As always it pays :-) to shop around. You are right in that some places have better prices on certain things. And maybe Defender has reset their shipping rates. I can only say that last year they were way too high.

Tags
fender, marine