Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2011, 09:56   #16

Re: Diaphram Bilge Pump - Best choice?

They are a choice for a bilge pump. If you will have only one pump, they are a good choice. I like um because you can use the inlet hose to remove water from spots that don't drain, sort of like a vacum cleaner. That was handy on my old boat.With care they last a long time and are rebuildable. Other designs are better for moving large volumes of water though.
foamcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 10:27   #17

Boat: Beneteau 361

One problem with a lot of sailboats (e.g. my Beneteau 361) is that there is very little vertical space between the floor boards and the bilge, and the sump is about 2"x3"x2" with the two existing intakes (manual and electric) already stuffed in there. There's no room to put a pump under floor boards, so it has to be mounted elsewhere with an intake hose. What options are there for this situation, other than a larger or second diaphragm pump?
Old 20-04-2011, 10:51   #18

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by batkins61 View Post
One problem with a lot of sailboats (e.g. my Beneteau 361) is that there is very little vertical space between the floor boards and the bilge, and the sump is about 2"x3"x2" with the two existing intakes (manual and electric) already stuffed in there. There's no room to put a pump under floor boards, so it has to be mounted elsewhere with an intake hose. What options are there for this situation, other than a larger or second diaphragm pump?
You have relatively small pumps to take care of little leaks and dry out the boat. The big pump doesn't have to be in the lowest spot.

John
cal40john is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 11:22   #19

Boat: Beneteau 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
You have relatively small pumps to take care of little leaks and dry out the boat. The big pump doesn't have to be in the lowest spot.

John
Ok, that makes sense. There's room behind the engine between the transmission and the stuffing box, off to the side. Is there a safe way to T into the exhaust to save a cutting another hole?
Old 20-04-2011, 11:46   #20

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by batkins61 View Post
Ok, that makes sense. There's room behind the engine between the transmission and the stuffing box, off to the side. Is there a safe way to T into the exhaust to save a cutting another hole?
No. The people that write exhaust installation guides have gone to a lot of trouble trying to keep water from backing up the exhaust system and ruining the engine. Plumbing a 30 gpm or more pump into the exhaust seems to me to guarantee a hydro-locked engine.

The offshore racing crowd doesn't even allow tee-ing into sink or cockpit drains. I did use one of the additional cockpit drains added to my boat to tee into. Previous owners offshore raced my boat and had to add cockpit drains to meet the rule. So I still have 3 drains to empty the cockpit even if the 4th one is slow due to the bilge pump using most of its capacity. Though I might be sorry someday when the boat has a major leak down below in the middle of a big enough storm to keep the cockpit awash with waves.

John
cal40john is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, bilge pump