Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2021, 09:54   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40
Re: Don't count on Defender for a bit...

Also remember that Defender was recently hacked. That's got to be slowing things down.
vpbarkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 09:55   #17

It is a good time to support your local outlets.

I don't like the big stores fronting products like it is in their warehouses only to find that they are subletting page space to anyone that is willing to give them a cut.

My last orders to Home Depot were all like that. Still waiting for product and HD has no control and no idea of the status of the order.

I think everyone has supply chain issues right now, but the availability and whether it is in stock or not, should be transparently shared prior to purchase.
StoneCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 10:16   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
They are clearly in over their heads with servicing latent demand, or something...

I spent a few boat bucks over a week ago on an assortment of items - heard nothing for several days, then was told my stuff would be ship "today, tomorrow at the latest", and now, 3 days after that (and well over a week since the order was placed) I'm told many of my items are backordered til the end of June. Everything I ordered had ample supply listed online at the time I ordered. Feels like so long ago, ha!

I should have known something was up a few weeks ago when I ordered an eye-spliced 3-strand dock line and it showed up looking like a cub scout had done the splice.

Lifelong customer who has never had anything to complain about with them, but wow, this year, I'd find somewhere else. Something ain't right over there.
I've had a varied customer service relationship with Defender
1) I ordered a 8-plait line for my Progress One windlass. Some sort of blue goop that put around the split broke my tensioner. I submitted a complaint to them and they said read our website we only support 3 strand. So I send a note to the manufacturer and they said 8-plait is supported. The product manager for Defender had not kept up with changes in technology. They give me a new pin and spring to repair the windlass and I returned the line for credit and bought it elsewhere
2) I recently ordered a close out Charles Industries Isolation Transformer. Price was half of list. The shipping department must have thought they were shipping clothing. The box arrived torn and the wooden case around the transformer was loose on two panels. I refused to open the box further and rejected the shipment. Defender picked it up at their expense and shipped one of the few remaining units. I told them I would pay for any special extra steps (total weight as 70 lbs!). Second unit arrived in much better shape and all is well.
3) Ordered new genoa sheets last year, Put them on the boat and the luggage tag splices failed in the first use. They took them back and I ordered from Westmarine Rigging in Annapolis and the workmanship was perfect.
Defender has good prices but....
CCCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 10:23   #19

Boat: 36 custom schooner

Defender notified me that they had had a security breach and soon afterwards my credit card notified me that my card had been compromiosed
Door Sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 10:25   #20

Boat: Cal 33-2

I have placed several orders with Defender this spring. All arrived promptly and well packaged. Only issue was a back ordered section of hose for a sink drain. They said Sheilds had kept pushing back the date of delivery to them. I found some at the local West Marine.
Old 11-06-2021, 10:28   #21

Boat: Caliber 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Don View Post
I noticed that too. In fact, I found better prices at West Marine (I couldn't believe it).
Don
WM probably mispriced that item, that is why it was cheaper
Old 11-06-2021, 10:36   #22

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
They are clearly in over their heads with servicing latent demand, or something...

I spent a few boat bucks over a week ago on an assortment of items - heard nothing for several days, then was told my stuff would be ship "today, tomorrow at the latest", and now, 3 days after that (and well over a week since the order was placed) I'm told many of my items are backordered til the end of June. Everything I ordered had ample supply listed online at the time I ordered. Feels like so long ago, ha!

I should have known something was up a few weeks ago when I ordered an eye-spliced 3-strand dock line and it showed up looking like a cub scout had done the splice.

Lifelong customer who has never had anything to complain about with them, but wow, this year, I'd find somewhere else. Something ain't right over there.

Have you asked to speak with a manager over there? They can help better than we can.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 10:40   #23
TBW

Boat: LeBlanc trawler; 50 ft

A few month ago I needed a new motor from Vetus for my stern thruster.
Started with Vetus (extra first rate!) Identified that there were 14 in the world coming off the line in Holland soon. Made sure one of them was mine. Placed the actual order with Defender. They coordinated with Vetus, tracked the container out of Rotterdam (Ever Given going at this time) and let me know as it moved in to the active UPS tracking. This was not a particularly easy order but Defender did a "Defender" job. Vetus too of course.
When the process started, there was not even a real backorder; just a 'we are going to make them pretty soon". I really needed this motor. Defender and Vetus got it for me. You will find it impossible to do better.
TW
TBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 10:40   #24

Boat: Tartan 37

I avoid Defender whenever possible. I had a horrible experience ordering a dinghy from them last fall. It arrived 3 weeks late with additional hidden shipping charges. Apon sea trials it had a poorly taped seam that leaked water. Defenders response “ no exchanges or returns, it’s a used boat now. It’s the manufacturers problem.” No help in fixing the issue or the least bit sympathetic.

Much better service from companies like, Hodge’s Marine, Maruipro and Fisheries Supply.
ABJ87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 10:49   #25

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I’ve been calling on every item lately to make 100% sure it’s in stock and shipping right away.
Which is totally reasonable from your end; you need to know. But with every customer doing that, no wonder they can’t even keep on top of basic customer service.
DanielI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 11:05   #26

Boat: Shannon Shoalsailer

Since the pandemic West Marine has been very undependable. Our local store is so poorly stocked that we gave up going in. Delays to an on line order took 6 weeks with no response to inquiries.

Hope the new owners at west straighten things out. Defender has always been a reliable source. Would hate to see defender degrade.
Bay Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 11:51   #27

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
Have you asked to speak with a manager over there? They can help better than we can.

Wasn’t looking for your help! Just wanted folks to know they should expect delays even if instructed otherwise.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 12:08   #28

Boat: Contessa 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielI View Post
FWIW, my new SS clutch handle arrived yesterday, on schedule.

I suspect supply chain issues are what you are seeing, which would explain why it is a problem with some things, and not others.
I understand "supply chain issues" but don't understand the retail sellers not telling you there will be a delay before you order. :<{
n5ama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 12:19   #29

Boat: 41' yawl

Hmmm- update- defender really kicked it into high gear today and seems to have pulled some strings to make this right in time for next weekend. Squeaky wheel gets the grease I guess, and I’m sure there’s a backlog of us squeaky wheels….
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 12:27   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Fellow a couple of slips over is waiting almost a month for some parts for a 10hp Honda 4 stroke. I bought port-lights through Vetus and they were on a long back order. India-Holland-USA.

Then check out this story about port congestion in China. They have 150 CASES of covid in a population of 114 MILLION and everything stops? WTF! I dont believe anything any more.

https://gcaptain.com/congestion-at-s...d-19-measures/

I have been doing extensive refits this last year and have been receiving Defender shipments at least every other week, many small, some not.

It is unusual for them to not be the cheapest, especially with Defender First pricing.

Just my experience.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fender