Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2020, 08:16   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose
DuBarry boot defect

In 2008, I was preparing for my first Atlantic crossing. I decided to splurge and buy some DuBarry boots. I thought that the GoreTex uppers and their breathability would be a comfortable improvement over the white rubber shrimper's boots I usually wore.

In 2020, while getting my weather gear">foul weather gear together for my summer cruise, I pulled my DuBarry boots out of the closet in my home and was surprised to see a crack in the grey part of the sole. I don't think I have worn these boots more than 20 times in 12 years and I never wore them off the boat.

Learning on the DuBarry website that I could send the boots to Holland for repair that might cost up to €150, I sent the boots off to the DuBarry repair facility.

When DuBarry got the boots, I received this email from them...

"Dear Mr. Dubose,

Thank you for sending your boots to us.

We produced these boots in 2007, unfortunately the plasticizers are not working anymore because of age. Unfortunately it is not possible to re-sole these boots.

We would like to offer you a 25% discount on a new pair of Shamrock boots."

Well, that's all find and dandy, but a 25% discount on the DuBarry retail price, barely covers the 21% sales tax in The Netherlands. I can buy them in the US on eBay for $216 against DuBarry's retail price of €299.

If I bought a new pair of DuBarry Shamrock boots, what is going to prevent this manufacturing/material defect from happening again?

Any suggestions about a better brand?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0001.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	456.5 KB
ID:	224010   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0003.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	429.1 KB
ID:	224011  

Name:	_DSC0002.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	436.2 KB
ID:	224012   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0004.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	294.3 KB
ID:	224013  

Name:	_DSC0006.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	411.7 KB
ID:	224014  
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 08:26   #2

Re: DuBarry boot defect

Black soles on a boat?

Xtratuf, Pelagic, Grundens, Huk would all be a better option at significantly less cost IMHO
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 08:40   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Leopard 43 Powercat
Re: DuBarry boot defect

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
In 2008, I was preparing for my first Atlantic crossing. I decided to splurge and buy some DuBarry boots. I thought that the GoreTex uppers and their breathability would be a comfortable improvement over the white rubber shrimper's boots I usually wore.

In 2020, while getting my foul weather gear together for my summer cruise, I pulled my DuBarry boots out of the closet in my home and was surprised to see a crack in the grey part of the sole. I don't think I have worn these boots more than 20 times in 12 years and I never wore them off the boat.

Learning on the DuBarry website that I could send the boots to Holland for repair that might cost up to €150, I sent the boots off to the DuBarry repair facility.

When DuBarry got the boots, I received this email from them...

"Dear Mr. Dubose,

Thank you for sending your boots to us.

We produced these boots in 2007, unfortunately the plasticizers are not working anymore because of age. Unfortunately it is not possible to re-sole these boots.

We would like to offer you a 25% discount on a new pair of Shamrock boots."

Well, that's all find and dandy, but a 25% discount on the DuBarry retail price, barely covers the 21% sales tax in The Netherlands. I can buy them in the US on eBay for $216 against DuBarry's retail price of €299.

If I bought a new pair of DuBarry Shamrock boots, what is going to prevent this manufacturing/material defect from happening again?

Any suggestions about a better brand?
My Dubarry's of the same era did the exact same thing. I loved them when they worked, but ended up tossing them when I saw this issue and went back to using my 25 year old Musto M1 boots, which still serve me well today but they look as old and worn as they are.

I have my eye on a new pair of Gill Yachting boots.

Stephan
Stephan is offline   Reply With Quote