Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2012, 12:27   #1

Dubarry Sea Boots

I'm planning on purchasing a pair of these Dubarry boots as a Christmas gift and I thought I'd check if anyone here might be able to comment on the quality or suggest alternatives (or a store that sells them more cheaply).
bitt3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 12:36   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Dubarry sea boots

Don't know anything about the Dubarry boots -- I'm sure they're great -- but in case you want to consider alternatives, I have a pair of the Musto HPX sea boots which I have worn through thick and thin -- they are fantastically good, feet warm and dry no matter what, and very modestly priced for what they are . . .
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 12:44   #3

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Dubarrys are supposed to be great and are obviously quite expensive, but unless you have intimate knowledge of the person in question's boot size (keeping in mind that the wearing of sea boots is often accompanied by the wearing of thick socks), I would hesitate to buy them without trying them.

Full disclosure: I have very wide and pretty long feet. I buy boots on the basis of "the giant that ordered these died...you want 50% off?"
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 14:04   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitt3n
I'm planning on purchasing a pair of these Dubarry boots as a Christmas gift and I thought I'd check if anyone here might be able to comment on the quality or suggest alternatives (or a store that sells them more cheaply).
All made in china now, the factory in Ireland is effectively a shadow of its former self.

Good boots , but I wouldn't buy anything that couldn't be returned. Boots are very personal and comfort instep fit etc are very important.

Dave
Old 17-12-2012, 16:28   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
All made in china now,

Dave
My Ultimas which I got in July were made in Portugal.

I do like them. Living in Calgary made the purchase rather protracted. DuBarry had a booth at the Stampede with their gardening and riding boots. I tried on some gardening boots to get my size (I needed a wide fit, the Extra)and then ordered a pair. They brought to Calgary last July.

I bought them to replace a pair of Sperry Fathoms that started to leak. They are very comfortable and they do breathe, which is essential for me.

And they are expensive.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 16:41   #6
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale

My Ultimas which I got in July were made in Portugal.

I do like them. Living in Calgary made the purchase rather protracted. DuBarry had a booth at the Stampede with their gardening and riding boots. I tried on some gardening boots to get my size (I needed a wide fit, the Extra)and then ordered a pair. They brought to Calgary last July.

I bought them to replace a pair of Sperry Fathoms that started to leak. They are very comfortable and they do breathe, which is essential for me.

And they are expensive.
Sorry your right , brain freeze , they are made by contract manufacturers in Portugal. At least the design remains in Ireland.

Dave
Old 18-12-2012, 09:29   #7

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: Dubarry Sea Boots

I have a pair of Dubarry Codura top boots I bought at the Southhampton Boat Show in 2005. I've worn the heck out of them and they continue to provide good service. Compared to the cheaper boots I used to replace every couple of years they are good value for money. I'd buy them again.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 22:04   #8

Thumbs up Re: Dubarry Sea Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
All made in china now, the factory in Ireland is effectively a shadow of its former self.

Good boots , but I wouldn't buy anything that couldn't be returned. Boots are very personal and comfort instep fit etc are very important.

Dave
Not True Dave but Dubarry do make 2 styles of boot i know of in China. A majority of their Boots and Shoes are still made in Europe including their classic Sea Boot the Ultima (I have a friend in England who sells them in his shop as well as all the others). I have sailed all over the globe in these boots from the Baltic to the Southern ocean and US Pacific Coast. They are the best boots that either myself or anyone I have raced with has had and chances are if you live near a sailing centre there will be a dealer who has them. I used some Musto APX a couple times when they were crew uniform but always preferred my Ultima (just personal pref). I know I have bought some from Team One when I was on the Newport/Burmuda and I had a team mate who bought theirs when we were in the San Fran bay (from a sailmaker I think). They list dealers here Dubarry Fall/Winter Collection | Enjoy the Dubarry Journey | Dubarry of Ireland
Wetbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 00:21   #9
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetbob

Not True Dave but Dubarry do make 2 styles of boot i know of in China. A majority of their Boots and Shoes are still made in Europe including their classic Sea Boot the Ultima (I have a friend in England who sells them in his shop as well as all the others). I have sailed all over the globe in these boots from the Baltic to the Southern ocean and US Pacific Coast. They are the best boots that either myself or anyone I have raced with has had and chances are if you live near a sailing centre there will be a dealer who has them. I used some Musto APX a couple times when they were crew uniform but always preferred my Ultima (just personal pref). I know I have bought some from Team One when I was on the Newport/Burmuda and I had a team mate who bought theirs when we were in the San Fran bay (from a sailmaker I think). They list dealers here Dubarry Fall/Winter Collection | Enjoy the Dubarry Journey | Dubarry of Ireland
They are good , mine are going on for 17 years. But I try to avoid sailing in areas that need them !!

Dave
Old 09-01-2015, 00:43   #10

Boat: Jeanneau 54DS
Re: Dubarry Sea Boots

Reviving an old thread, I know. The side rubber joint on my ten year old Dubarry Shamrock literally disintegrated yesterday as I was working on the boat under a pouring rain - (I was wondering the source of all those rubber crumbs on the deck until I noticed it was my boots melting away!)

Until yesterday, I'd had 10 years of great "service" (comfort, dryness, fit) from the Dubarrys, and I'm getting ready to order a new pair. FWIW...
Phoenician is offline   Reply With Quote