Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2018, 00:21   #1

Faulty mini pet cocks. Beware.

My Planar diesel cabin heater also runs on kerosene, so I have dual inlet hoses feeding its pump via a Y-connector.

One hose is from a dedicated 10 litre (2.6 gallon) tank, and another from the fuel filter of the large diesel engine.

The idea is to switch from kerosene to diesel with a minimum of fuss.

So I thought two of these little aluminium stock cocks with brass tails would be ideal, having small tails which fit the tiny diameter fuel lines.

I ordered two from China on Ebay.

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	170899

Suitable size, yes, DANGEROUS YES.

Even when in the shut-off position, they leak fuel between the silver handle and the body. The internal o-ring which is supposed to seal them just doesn't do its job.

The first ones I installed leaked out a couple of litres of kerosene in a couple of hours. Luckily we spotted the mess in the bilge and took quick action to remove them.

Silly me thinking they were from a bad batch, ordered two new ones.

This time, I "tested" them by putting a finger over one tail and sucking on the other to see if they held a vacuum. They did.

So, gleefully I installed them, put them in the off position and went away.

Six weeks later we returned to the boat and did the usual, checking the bilge for dryness.

Shock horror---it was full of diesel and kerosene.

We pumped out about 30 litres (almost 8 gallons) into every container we could scrounge.

Now for years we've ALWAYS shut off the diesel from the main tank. Not this time it seems, and that was the consequence. (We have a "before leaving the boat" checklist but...I forgot to use it!)

I will try sturdier o-rings, and leave the units soaking in fuel for a week before re-installing them. Then watch them like a hawk---but chuck them out if they still don't work.

Apart from anything else, a US gallon of diesel in Australia is $US 4.40 and a gallon of kerosene $US 11.40.

So if you're thinking of buying these cute little pet cocks --beware.
starcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 00:49   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Faulty mini pet cocks. Beware.

^^ thanks for the heads up regarding these pet cocks. I buy some stuff from China (eBay) but I won't be getting these. In fact, mostly I get stuff that doesn't really matter if it is good quality or is going to be a non critical or for a single use job.

I have seen some good Italian tiny ball valves that might be suitable for you but I don't have a link or a current source for them.

Good luck with getting it sorted.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:36   #3

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by starcruiser View Post
I will try sturdier o-rings, and leave the units soaking in fuel for a week before re-installing them.
I'm sorry to hear about the mess. As to "sturdier" I hope you mean more fuel resistant. Cheap o-rings are made of neoprene or silicone, which are not even close to the best material to use for fuel - try nitrile or Viton. Whichever material you consider you should check for diesel and kerosene resistance, such as at Rubber Chemical Resistance, Rubber Chemical Compatibility, Page 3 - Mykin Inc.

I dumped a bunch of kerosene into the bilge due to a valve problem while I was ashore, and unfortunately the automatic bilge pump did work. Ugh. It was a long time ago, but still haunts me enough to be really careful with fuel.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:57   #4

Thanks Greg. By sturdier I mean thicker, a tighter fit and of course fuel resistant as you say.

The problem with these Chinese units is that the o-ring sits atop of some rubber-like material. So effectively you have little compression as both substances flex.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:58   #5

That would call into question the material used in the underlying rubber. Also, why do that other than to change the channel dimensions to be closer to square for an o-ring? Very strange. Good luck.

Greg
Old 01-06-2018, 14:57   #6

Click image for larger version

Name:	valve.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	170934

Had similar problem with this valve. Used this cheap valve for installation of a secondary diesel filter. Somehow it leaked air in fuel line. Got rid of it and air leak ended.
Baba Buoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 15:31   #7

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 49

If you buy cheap Chinese crap you get cheap Chinese crap. Everyone wants fancy stuff but doesn't want to pay for it. As the old saying goes...You pay one way or another. When dealing with fuels use parts that are designed for fuels. Why do they cost more? Because it costs more to make quality.

Now that you have paid the idiot tax, go to a boat part store or an eighteen wheel part store or an RV part store and buy a valve that is rated for fuel. Should only cost about $35.

In the end quality items are always cheaper.
Old 01-06-2018, 15:50   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Buoy View Post
Attachment 170934

Had similar problem with this valve. Used this cheap valve for installation of a secondary diesel filter. Somehow it leaked air in fuel line. Got rid of it and air leak ended.
I had that one too, to select between tanks. Air got sucked in. IIRC it was a problem with sealing the stem with an o-ring. Thing is, I didn't know it was Chinese - still don't. But it sure was a POS.

Greg
Old 01-06-2018, 17:18   #9

Boat: Hinterhoeller Niagara 35

Cheap Chinese Crap - unavoidable these days. One has to look hard for a well made pencil, let alone a fuel-proof valve.

Since it is unavoidable, I look for the best bet on Amazon or other sources paying only through PayPal. At least then if one is willing to complain enough you can get your money back.

Recently I ordered a waterproof connector for installation of my new masthead electronic wind vane / anemometer. I ordered and paid for 3 and received only 1 (the item was so inexpensive why not have a couple of spares?). The item turned out to be a well made quality piece of hardware (not all CCC is actually crappy), but it took 5 confused e-mails to achieve understanding with the vendor in China. Amazon ended up refunding the full purchase amount and the missing 2 arrived unexpectedly in today's mail.

Strange days indeed. Caveat emptor.
Boatwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 18:45   #10

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatwright View Post
Cheap Chinese Crap - unavoidable these days. One has to look hard for a well made pencil, let alone a fuel-proof valve.

Since it is unavoidable, I look for the best bet on Amazon or other sources paying only through PayPal. At least then if one is willing to complain enough you can get your money back.

Recently I ordered a waterproof connector for installation of my new masthead electronic wind vane / anemometer. I ordered and paid for 3 and received only 1 (the item was so inexpensive why not have a couple of spares?). The item turned out to be a well made quality piece of hardware (not all CCC is actually crappy), but it took 5 confused e-mails to achieve understanding with the vendor in China. Amazon ended up refunding the full purchase amount and the missing 2 arrived unexpectedly in today's mail.

Strange days indeed. Caveat emptor.
Not everything made in China is CCC but there is more CCC than GCG (Great Chinese Goods). For example; I personally know the owner of a company who had their product manufactured in China. Their product was nice but after a few orders it became CCC. The guy, unhappy with the CCC he just paid an arm and a leg to import into the US flew to China, purchased the manufacturer, and now his products are GCG.

How do you avoid CCC? Easy. You buy from a reputable dealer of quality brands.

If everyone stops buying CCC than no more CCC will be made. Unfortunately, too many people think something along the lines of "Defender sells this for $20 but I can get something similar for $2 on eBay". Fact is you can't.

The OP's story is very typical. Instead of spending $35 on a quality part; they bought CCC and ended up spending $50+ and still not having a working part. Plus, they wasted a whole lot of time cleaning up the mess. Was it worth it? Their boat will probably smell like diesel for the next few months.

BUY QUALITY, IT ULTIMATELY COSTS LESS

Would you like a quick lesson in Economics?
Old 01-06-2018, 19:08   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Faulty mini pet cocks. Beware.

And here I was,expecting a thread about one legged banty roosters...

Jim
Old 02-06-2018, 05:44   #12

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

Remember the basic business principle

The quality and service are remembered long after the price is forgotten
Bill

BUY QUALITY, IT ULTIMATELY COSTS LESS

Would you like a quick lesson in Economics?[/QUOTE]
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 23:48   #13

By the way --- I didn't buy these cheap Chinese petcocks because they were cheap...I would have paid much more had I found any with the right size small tails/spigots.

Anyway, my repairs don't seem to be going well.

I have been soaking the petcocks and new o-rings in diesel oil for a couple of days.

The rubber-like substance inside the body through which the valve turns appears to have hardened substantially.

On reassembly and test--seal with a finger on on the outlet while sucking on the inlet -- showed they weren't holding a vacuum.

I was sucking in air tinged with diesel. Not the most pleasant concoction.

Back to the drawing board.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:34   #14

Boat: ODAY 28

I also use e-bay for some things however I always check to see where it is made, tend to steer away from china made goods
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote