Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2015, 04:57   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Fenders

I'd love to quote you on Taylor fenders.
Old 23-12-2015, 05:09   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Blue Stocking, you might want to try Taylor's new Super Duty Yacht Fenders. They are very easy to deflate and inflate with a foot pump like you use for inflatable boats.
Taylor Made Products 2016 Catalog
Old 23-12-2015, 05:53   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i have a geenormous taylor made fender i used to use to keep birdee off docks and wharves-- it popped. is a taylor. somehow i need to get it frommexico to usa to replace. i want another. was awesome huge, for megayachts. not patricia damage-- was already popped by a ts 2 yrs ago.\
in the mean time, i still have taylor and polyfoam fenders, but the supply is thinning...tires work. and the popped one, as continue i use it to keep boat off docks--it folds nicely at the right place to continue its original function--
hell louise's helpful hint--- when you use tires for fenders, if you wish to not receive black markings on your hull, add the popped fenders between tire and boat. they still work, just in a different manner.

if using tires or popped fenders, please keep mosquito count down by emptying and treating th estanding water held within them. ditto poppped fenders. yes, skeeters breed inside em. i watched a gekko crawl out of mine, so i washed inside..only one lizzy, welcomed with open arms and returned to boat.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 06:00   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I'd love to quote you on Taylor fenders.
Attaboy!

Keepin' momentum for the year end push...

Merry Christmas HopStar...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 17:56   #20

Boat: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge, Boston Whaler 235 Conquest
Fenders

Depending on what size and color you're looking for, I've found the least expensive White Double Eye Taylor Made 8 1/2" x 26" Fenders on-line at Walmart or wholesalemarine.com for $52-$54.

We bought ours in store at Walmart in Port Clinton for $52 each.

West Marine is selling the 2 pack for $99 right now.

Good luck!
Old 23-12-2015, 18:36   #21
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by natew View Post
Another + for the Taylor fenders, usually find the best deal is westmarine when they have them on sale (like now).

Like others I had a Big-B fender of unknown age leak due to cracking at the top. Shipped it back to them and within a week they sent me a brand new one. Now if only they would warranty lost fenders as the admril promptly lost the fender almost the next day.

If anyone finds a Big-B fender floating around San Diego harbor it's probably mine. Thanks!
Never had to buy one. I find them on the beach.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:32   #22
CHM

Boat: Beneteau Moorings 432

eBay. Just put the pin trough the valve and inflate. Cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
CHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:40   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Never had to buy one. I find them on the beach.
Between that, what came with the boat and garage sales, never bought at retail.

Bigger is better. Never got the deflate them idea. If they are deflated, I'm probably not going to use them. Keep the spares tied off on the davits for easy access.

Also have some of the flat foam fenders which are handy for slips where we barely fit as we only need about 4" per side to squeeze them in. They aren't good for tides or locks though as the edges tend to catch rather than slide up and down.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:48   #24

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i have a geenormous taylor made fender i used to use to keep birdee off docks and wharves-- it popped. is a taylor. somehow i need to get it frommexico to usa to replace. i want another. was awesome huge, for megayachts. not patricia damage-- was already popped by a ts 2 yrs ago.\
in the mean time, i still have taylor and polyfoam fenders, but the supply is thinning...tires work. and the popped one, as continue i use it to keep boat off docks--it folds nicely at the right place to continue its original function--
hell louise's helpful hint--- when you use tires for fenders, if you wish to not receive black markings on your hull, add the popped fenders between tire and boat. they still work, just in a different manner.

if using tires or popped fenders, please keep mosquito count down by emptying and treating th estanding water held within them. ditto poppped fenders. yes, skeeters breed inside em. i watched a gekko crawl out of mine, so i washed inside..only one lizzy, welcomed with open arms and returned to boat.
Zee, I just wrote Taylor and explained our situation. They did not want us to mail the faded fenders( they still held air, they were marking up our hull). Taylor requested we cut up the defective fenders. Taylor even asked if we wanted to switch to white, and to a different style. We received the new fenders within a week. Granted Mexico may be out of their shipping range for exchanges, but what about having them ship to one of the Boats from ca that cruise down your way?

We found that west marine is pretty competitive in pricing now, not so a few years ago. I'd definitely see what HopCar has to offer, I've seen some good deals come out of his store.

Anyways, happy new year.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:16   #25

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I think all fenders (and net floats used as fenders) are subject to UV damage, and it is when they are older that they leave guck on your topsides.

What I have done to avoid this problem on our aging collection of mixed type fenders is cover the fenders. Over the years, I've used track suit legs (from thrift shops), track suit material purchased from discount sewing stores, and heavy polyester canvas (discount sewing store, too). So far, it is the canvas that has held up best. I would not use Sunbrella again, because of its poor chafe resistance, it did not last well, and usually fenders are stored out of the sun on our boat. If they are to be stored n when not in use, you might want to use some uv treated cloth. What I used was heavier than WeatherMax, designed for outdoor use. Some people even use old T-shirts. If you keep them covered, they hold up much better, and with new fenders, the cover will extend its life. [If your fenders don't match, color-wise, covering them can make them appear all the same.]

Incidentally, acetone will remove the guck from the topsides, and can also clean up the fenders a bit. For little cost, covering the fenders keeps the guck from getting there in the first place.

Ann

PS ....maybe I should start a "save the fenders" foundation, eh?
Old 03-01-2016, 11:21   #26

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterwilliam View Post
Anybody know where I can get the special inflator for plastimo fenders (or how otherwise to inflate them). Adapter is available in England for 2 pound + 52 pound to post to Australia.
Hi, Peter,

Sorry, no. But a couple of ideas: how about a needle valve like for a rugby ball and a hand pump? or, most dinghy pumps come with a variety of adaptors, maybe one of those could be used? [We have a huge collection, from various pumps over the years, but we're no use to you here in Tassie. Ask around with people with larger dinghies.]

Good luck with it. Fifty-two pounds for a 2 pound object is really ridiculous! Maybe they were going to hand deliver it to you! Having stuff from outside Australia shipped to your local post office works best. Maybe some one here on CF can help you with it.

Ann
Old 04-01-2016, 09:03   #27

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
-----
if using tires or popped fenders, please keep mosquito count down by emptying and treating th estanding water held within them. -----
Zee - just drill a couple of holes in the tires to drain the water.
Old 08-01-2016, 17:35   #28

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I use the Taylor Made ball type. And I used them as a commercial fisherman. I never popped one. I usually check Amazon or Ebay, but Discount Marine Supplies has good prices and warehouses across America, so shipping is cheap or free. I buy my West resin there and no one else is even close on price including shipping. The local marine supply stores mostly bend you over and drive you around the dock.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 18:40   #29

Boat: Farrier F-22
Send a message via Skype™ to fugue137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeltje View Post
I use an old bicycle pump with a needle valve to re-inflate mine, but I'm one of those athletic kind of guys.

Jacques
I seldom see Americans using bicycle pumps, and never in the good part of town. Are you sure they're legal?
fugue137 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fender