Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2023, 10:13   #1

Boat: Pearson 365 Ketch
FIVE OCEAN WINDLASS'

I went ahead and pulled the trigger and tried one of the new Five Ocean windlass'. I wish there had been (ANY) reviews on these windlasses before I purchased it. From the site they looked decent and for the price worth a shot.
Here is what happened to me me..

I Had high hopes...
From first glance, appears a quality windlass. The outer case is of good quality, all stainless. Mounted the windlass per instructions and it worked fine, not a smooth take off on the gypsy, but rather jerky. This can be lived with. Discovered 8 months after install (took me a few months to get it installed), a dead windlass, and found fresh water intrusion, and a good amount at that. The water seized up the electronic brake on the motor, rendering it useless. This was due to a very poor silicon seal between the windlass halves. Contacted Five Oceans (via email only, no phones...), they didn't ask for pictures or any discussion, other than it warranty has passed by 3 months and an offer of a 15% discount. The damage started well before those 3 months. Well after that, there was no more responses from them, and I didn't even get my 15% discount. Very poor responses from these guys. Buyer beware, I coulda bought a Lewmar from what I've spent here...

I believe after I get the new motor and I do some water proofing of my own on the motor, and windlass chassis that it will work fine with no leaks. I may make a video on how to seal it up, maybe I can keep others from losing out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2116.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	275558  
Pearson365Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2023, 20:36   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: FIVE OCEAN WINDLASS'

Thanx for the heads up. I have bought a Maxwell. At least they have a phone number. that would have been the first red flag for me. here is what I found...

Five Oceans
headquarters:
10014 Premier Pkwy, Miramar, Florida, 33025, United States
phone:
(786) 331-9310
www.five-oceans.com
revenue:
$8 Million
number Of Employees:
<25

Five Oceans is a global brand of BARON USA specialized in marine and outdoor products.
Address: 350 Baron Cir, Cookeville, TN 38501
Phone: (931) 528-8476
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2023, 09:35   #3

Boat: Pearson 365 Ketch

You know after tearing apart the entire windlass, looking at it part wise, its not that bad a build. Its more just a lack of good assembly (found many loose bolts) some wrong quality hardware (found some standard steel screws on gear box that already developed some rust).
I disassembled the gear box and removed what I assume was grease, but looked far more like cosmoline, which I know eastern nations would pack military gear in to prevent rust. I removed all of the "Grease", cleaned and packed the gear box full of "red and tacky". I also replaced the hard to find metric bolts on the gear case with stainless.

I'm going to water proof the motor/housing the best a can and also will provide a drain hole into the chain locker to prevent any kind of water buildup.

What I did finally find that actually killed the windlass was that the electromagnetic brake that it uses, corroded from the water and prevented motor movement. Unfortunately the motor and brake "almost" seem to made as a unit. I'm gonna find this motor and brake and sell parts for these things cheap.. lol

This could be a good cheap windlass, if they make sure they are put together well.
Pearson365Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2023, 12:27   #4

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

They (Five Oceans) are a distributor, not a manufacturer. I'd assume that your windless was made in China. If so, your experience is par for the course. No repairs, absolutely no quality control, replacement parts will be problematic. Chinese manufacturers, with very rare exceptions, do not test what they build. They just make their product and ship it across the Pacific. They will not detect, much less correct, problems such as you experienced. This is the unfortunate norm.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2023, 12:46   #5

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

A few years back I bought some stainless bent wire snap hooks from Five Oceans for dinghy lifting. Badly rusted in a few months after salt water exposure while stored below decks.

They were not expensive so I got what I paid for.

Tags
wind, windlass