Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2020, 08:58   #46
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36
Re: For You Tool Geeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rreid01 View Post
The soft sided tool bags, while easier to stow than hard sided toolboxes, don’t address the real problem—organization. You still have to drag everything out to get to something at the bottom of the bag. However I agree the cost of the tool roll is simply ridiculous.

Multiple canvas bags for different types of tools is an interesting idea that I believe I’ll try.
i have the multiple canvas bags now and i think the tool roll is the evolution of that idea. tool bags are nice for storage in weird shaped corners but its still just hole to dump tools in and they just end up a jumbled mess.

i disagree with all the penny pinching comments. i prefer to buy something of very high quality that i know will last a lifetime rather than cheap, i hope this doesnt self destruct products. i dont understand that mindset. i guess maybe most cruisers are forced to be or naturally are cheap/resourceful but since im still at a dock and working full time, i'll go with the good stuff while i can afford it.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 09:00   #47
er9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
Hmm. I sense a fellow McMaster-Carr addict.
add me to that list. i spend waaay to much money there.
Old 17-10-2020, 09:08   #48

Main (ashore) tools:

Husky socket set in its supplied case (plastic and pretty sturdy), wrenches split into 2 tool rolls (metric, Imperial), a 'general' tool bag for screwdrivers, pliers, meters, etc. also a bag of drill bits and abrasives, and one bag for extra sockets, extensions, spinners.

On our microcruiser - now using a plastic ammo box. I went through a couple different tool boxes; they both busted open after rolling off a bench. The ammo case is standing up to abuse, and it forced me to be more selective about what tools to carry.

I like those Harbor Freight canvas bags, but aboard they probably would dump their contents when we heel or snap off a tack.

The OP's tool roll does look awesome. i might ask Santa for one...
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 10:42   #49

Boat: 43' Albin Sundeck

I just did a Google search and came up with a number of alternatives at around $40.

Wrench Roll-up at Amazon was $37 and Rugged Rollup at Walmart was $40.

Great idea.

When my Walmart fishing tackle box gives way, think I'll look into replacing it with 1 of those.
Nepidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 11:00   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by er9 View Post
curious what welder do you carry? thinking of buying one.
Its a cheapo Harbor Freight stick welder. A Honda 2000 will barely power it, you have to watch the and keep the duty cycle low. It will do a fair job, especially if you have good shore power. Us’s some pretty tiny sticks.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 13:49   #51

Boat: Robinson 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobeliaBlue View Post
Harbor Freight has small natural colour canvas bags for 10 bucks.
They call it a 15 in. Canvas Riggers Bag. I have several for each general task: woodwork, plumbing, electric, engine.

They fit most places and are handier than opening everything for one tool.

I've also got a few of their round canvas bags and they've held up well over a few years.
They don't make shoes to match tho.
I've been using this bag for over three years. It's continuously overloaded, mercilessly abused, and utterly bulletproof. A well-spent ten bucks.
Departing2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 14:47   #52
er9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Departing2017 View Post
I've been using this bag for over three years. It's continuously overloaded, mercilessly abused, and utterly bulletproof. A well-spent ten bucks.
yeah but if you get knocked over and it goes flying you got tools everywhere. my tool bags go into the port lazarette which is open to the engine compartment/batteries/ wires etc...i can keep the bags in place but definately dont want two dozen metal objects loose in there flying around. i have on similar though to use when i go work on a friends boat, load it up with what i need and go.
Old 29-10-2020, 07:25   #53

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

These bags from Duluth Trading have proven to be great for a lot of my tools and Bits.
They are made of a very tough material. The zipper is plastic and pull appears to be brass. They sell multiple sizes. These go in my soft tool bag which makes finding things much easier.

https://www.duluthtrading.com/on/dem...9260_color=BRN
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	79260_alt_01.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	226089  
Old 29-10-2020, 07:43   #54

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Well, for 1/3rd of the price of ONE Duluth bag (that I anyway get free from airline travel), I get five mesh bags... Why? Quite tired to open and dig in multiple dark bags to find the small tool, components and parts I’m looking for. Realised we sometime waste more time looking forward the tool/part than doing the job...
ZXSWEET Bags26 Storage Bags, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0711FRJ43..._-mTMFbGWX9PZC
Old 29-10-2020, 10:40   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeValency View Post
...for 1/3rd of the price of ONE Duluth bag (that I anyway get free from airline travel), I get five mesh bags... Why? Quite tired to open and dig in multiple dark bags to find the small tool, components and parts I’m looking for. Realised we sometime waste more time looking forward the tool/part than doing the job...

That's true. I once worked for a guy who had all his sockets loose in one bag

How are the mesh bags standing up? I'd be afraid that screwdrivers, pliers tips or open wrench ends would poke holes in them after just a little rough handling and banging around.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 11:18   #56

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
That's true. I once worked for a guy who had all his sockets loose in one bag

How are the mesh bags standing up? I'd be afraid that screwdrivers, pliers tips or open wrench ends would poke holes in them after just a little rough handling and banging around.
After a year and massive refit — e.g. continuous search for tools and parts, they are holding very well, including after washing machine rounds. And if one fail at some point, I can still afford to change for another $2 bag.

Many smaller (screws, nuts, washers, connectors etc) and larger parts I put in a thick wall zip bags of multiple sizes - save space and in one glance can see what I have...
Old 29-10-2020, 11:25   #57

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.50

Quote:
i have the multiple canvas bags now and i think the tool roll is the evolution of that idea. tool bags are nice for storage in weird shaped corners but its still just hole to dump tools in and they just end up a jumbled mess.

i disagree with all the penny pinching comments. i prefer to buy something of very high quality that i know will last a lifetime rather than cheap, i hope this doesnt self destruct products. i dont understand that mindset. i guess maybe most cruisers are forced to be or naturally are cheap/resourceful but since im still at a dock and working full time, i'll go with the good stuff while i can afford it.
I have struggled with this and struggled with this.

My latest idea which has worked for a few year is to by a number of these

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/rid...ack/1000819369

I put my drills, charger and battery right in them.

and then

I buy these

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/hus...zer/1000774948

About 7 of them will fit in the ridgid boxes and I sort my wrenches and in those and put them in the box. Same for all the sockets , ratchets and extensions.

I have 2 of the large black boxes and I have my hundreds of different screws in the husky box

They will not fit every ones needs because the black boxes are rather large but I have a rather large storage cabin and they fit well there.

I use the same system at home for my drills and screws there. Wrenches and sockets go in the tool chest.

Out on the construction sites the mechanical guys just use the 34 h x 34 w x 60 long coffin boxes on wheels. End of the day everything is dumped in there and it is just hopeless. You don't see the electrical goes doing that.
Sailor 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 20:00   #58
er9
cruiser

Talking Re: For You Tool Geeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
I have struggled with this and struggled with this.

My latest idea which has worked for a few year is to by a number of these

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/rid...ack/1000819369

I put my drills, charger and battery right in them.

and then

I buy these

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/hus...zer/1000774948

About 7 of them will fit in the ridgid boxes and I sort my wrenches and in those and put them in the box. Same for all the sockets , ratchets and extensions.

I have 2 of the large black boxes and I have my hundreds of different screws in the husky box

They will not fit every ones needs because the black boxes are rather large but I have a rather large storage cabin and they fit well there.

I use the same system at home for my drills and screws there. Wrenches and sockets go in the tool chest.

Out on the construction sites the mechanical guys just use the 34 h x 34 w x 60 long coffin boxes on wheels. End of the day everything is dumped in there and it is just hopeless. You don't see the electrical goes doing that.
i see your still basking in the stone age of tool storage. this conversation is discussing the latest iron age achievements of tool storage. please move on... :P
Old 30-10-2020, 07:53   #59

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.50

Quote:
i see your still basking in the stone age of tool storage. this conversation is discussing the latest iron age achievements of tool storage. please move on... :P
Ya its hard to move forward man I moved forward and bought the bags and tried them. Looks good when you first set it up but entropy has a way. I am much happier in the stone age
Sailor 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 17:33   #60

Boat: Tanzer 8.5 #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
If you maintain your boat properly , you don’t need any tools onboard.

Once everything is working reliably you can remove the tools.

In the unlikely event that something fails, I have a hammer, wd40 and some tape.
You forgot the beer!
Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=maintenance.flowchart.jpg Views: 67 Size: 35.5 KB ID: 227030" style="margin: 2px" />