Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2013, 23:29   #16

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore
re: Goretex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
I would add fit, and I would trade price for it.
+1

Most of that breathable stuff is made for guys with 40" chests and 34" sleeves. I have a big chest and shoulders but am only 5'7" tall. I currently have a set of high quality PVC slickers that I have had for well over 20 years. These were made for commercial fishermen and other professional watermen so there is room for multiple heavy layers. The base fabric wicks pretty good. If you choose your layers carefully you don't need breathability. If they fit right, there is ventilation unless it is literally blowing a hurricane and you need a belt to hold your jacket hem down. I spent my youth fishing and often practically lived in my slickers in the winter. White rubber shrimp boots are about $15 and are quite comfortable and grip the deck well. No silly yachty boots to go with my slickers, if you please.

For waterPROOF PVC slickers, look in National Fisherman for the ads for the CORRECT gear. Don't get slickers at walmart! 66N is good for lightweight but long lasting stuff that wicks beautifully. Hellys are okay... just heavier so not so good in warm weather. If guys who put in 20 hour days wearing the stuff are okay with it, it is probably good enough for sailboat guys, even if they won't let you in the YC any more.

Bottom line is if the fit is wrong, the gear is wrong. You aren't dressing for the prom! Gotta have room inside for ventilation up/down the legs and arms, and for insulating layers. All of the yachty stuff is just WRONG. And ridiculously expensive. I has spoken.
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 00:33   #17
cruiser

I agree with yachting/prom clothes.

I looked at all the "offshore" stuff, then I spent a hundred fifty bucks at a commercial fishermen's dive here in Salmon Bay in Seattle.

You want to look good, go to REI. You want to stay dry and warm, go where working men who don't get to come in out of the rain go.

When you see Carhartt everywhere, bluegloves in packs of a dozen and thick wool sold two yards at a time, you're in the right place.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 06:51   #18

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
I've heard rumors that the pro sailors wear their sponsor's gear for the photo-shoots, but switch to their personal favorite stuff once the cameras are put away. Given the extra weight issue, and the fact that these boats are pretty much always shooting video these days, perhaps that rumor is no longer accurate (if it ever was). (...)
As you said - possibly a fact some time ago but only a rumor today. I have watched many VOR documentals - offshore they all wear the stuff they advertise on the dock.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote