Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2022, 06:01   #91
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Gori Prop Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glueinhair View Post
I joined this forum to tell as many yachties as I can. , for the simple reason that gori , deny this can happen , yet many forums have stories about it happening.

That’s funny- I have never, in 27 years in the prop installation biz, ever heard of of a Gori prop failing at all, much less in the manner you describe.

You come in here for the sole purpose of badmouthing a respected manufacturer without a shred of evidence to back up your claim? You sound like a disgruntled employee.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 04:32   #92

The shred of evidence is the shredded rubber that ripped itself out of the gori propeller hub in reverse thrust . Examine an exploded diagram to discover for yourself the mechanism that prevents a gori propeller from spinning off in reverse— spoiler, it’s the rubber , the rubber, and only the rubber .
Another shred of evidence I discovered today , at the local Yanmar dealership , was 2 more Gori propellers with hubs ripped out by rubber failure in reverse thrust .
Yet another, in attempting to source a repair place interstate, was the response” yeah there’s a few of those that crop up every year — not all that rare !”
I don’t consider this design of propeller, reliable enough for me to feel safe , so I’ll continue to have concern for the safety , and expense incurred , for those who use them.
Let me add , I run a Shipwright services and marine surveying business , and have involvements with the marine pleasure craft industry dating back 40 years + .
My next discussions will be with the insurers I report to and survey for with a view to a statistical examination of such gori failures beyond my own precinct , and to gain an objective picture of this issue
Glueinhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 08:29   #93
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The shred of evidence is the shredded rubber that ripped itself out of the gori propeller hub in reverse thrust .
You coming in here and making unsubstantiated claims does not constitute evidence.
Old 08-01-2022, 23:00   #94

Denial of evidence, it seems to me , is rather more self serving . Friend , you’re free to indulge whichever belief you wish to conjure .
It doesn’t change what happened to our Gori propeller, and the others I alluded to . So for now , I’ll sort out my real problem, and please, from my perspective, you’re free to keep calling it a make believe problem on your keyboard all you like , while I chat to Gori in Denmark — They’ve been most helpful by the way , and suggested a standard fix when this problem occurs
Old 09-01-2022, 05:22   #95
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Denial of evidence, it seems to me , is rather more self serving . Friend , you’re free to indulge whichever belief you wish to conjure .
It doesn’t change what happened to our Gori propeller, and the others I alluded to . So for now , I’ll sort out my real problem, and please, from my perspective, you’re free to keep calling it a make believe problem on your keyboard all you like , while I chat to Gori in Denmark — They’ve been most helpful by the way , and suggested a standard fix when this problem occurs

I didn’t say it was “make believe.” What I said was that you came here for the sole purpose of publicly defaming a respected propeller manufacturer and expected us to accept your statements without hesitation. No substantiation, no proof of your claims, no nothing. You couldn’t even be bothered to provide a pic of the prop in question. You aren’t some oracle of truth and we (or I at least) are under no obligation to take you at your word.
Old 09-01-2022, 13:55   #96

I have multiple pictures - On this forum however, unlike soc. Media , pictures must be drawn from a cloud or drop box URL address , neither of which I use — I have posted photos where I’m able — look at sailing and cruising on Facebook . But whether you’re willing to see evidence when it’s presented, is up to you .
I maintain this to be a design problem for Gori , and of the multiple forums I have discussed this on, ( this is but one) that seems to be the feedback I’m receiving.
I’m not here to convince you , in fact it might interest you to know that of all forums , you are the solidarity detractor — well done ! , I’m here to present my experience , and discuss what happened, the implications, the prevalence, people’s remedies , my choice of remedy , and how successful it was going forward . At this stage , I will not trust my vessel again to a Gori prop, but if Gori present a reasonable engineering solution , I’m open to it
Old 24-07-2022, 13:59   #97

On the 3-blade prop the rubber bushing can be replaced. Not so on the 2-blade version
PhilipLyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2022, 01:27   #98

Boat: Beneteau Oceania 461

I was almost ready to buy a gori now, after reading all about the gori problems I have decided to buy a Kiwi Prop and it's $2000 cheaper!
Cheers.
alanbe53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2022, 03:48   #99

We have and like GORI 2-blade very much.

The first set were original to the 1992 boat and we replaced in 2015. Not bc failure, but bc we liked the newer design of the collar zincs.

If GORI have a failing, it is that they don’t tolerate installation by the typical ignorant boatyard hack, and also are intolerant of poor maintenance by the typical lazy boat owner.

My GORI 2-blades have excellent thrust forward and reverse. The design is robust and relatively simple.
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote