Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2020, 15:18   #76
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Gori Prop Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethsail View Post
It seems that these props have a tendency to fall off much more so than other types of props. Not bashing them but there is definitely an issue.
Yes, there is an issue. It's an issue with installation and/or maintenance. Gori props do not simply "fall off" otherwise.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 02:04   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by nauticalnomad View Post
I had a gori prop that was 2 years old fly off from the rubber vulcanized bit that joins the inside shaft joiner to the outside propeller housing..
It just sheared off coming into berth.
Gori explained that this does not happen and they have not heard of it before and they will sell me a new one at cost price due to the warranty being not long out.

After accepting I then do some research and find on and offline from various people and fellow marine engineers that this is a common issue with Gori folding propellors....
I no longer have the boat. My new boat has a fixed propeller. I would not buy a folding prop..
I have just had exactly this issue, but mine was 5 years old. The boatyard who replaced it talked about maintenance, but can't see that there is any maintenance one can do to see the state of the inner construction of the prop, the boat was out of the water a month ago and no visible signs of wear. No idea if I will get anything from the insurance on this.
Robinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 02:43   #78
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinob View Post
I have just had exactly this issue, but mine was 5 years old. The boatyard who replaced it talked about maintenance, but can't see that there is any maintenance one can do to see the state of the inner construction of the prop, the boat was out of the water a month ago and no visible signs of wear. No idea if I will get anything from the insurance on this.
whay don't simply exchange rubber bushing in propeller. you must have local company do this job. here in Split,Croatia have 1 company do this job charge 500 know 75-80$ .

Rubber bushing is because the propeller must save saildrive if catch rope.

What i sea how work. have this rubber-like impeller From Volvo-penta Yanmar, Gori.. with huge hydraulic press put this seal in propeller(sometime propeller broke) after this some propeller go in the oven 1 day.

ask gori propeller for this flexible bushing spare parts and procedure for repair or where you can send propeler for repair.
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 02:52   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
whay don't simply exchange rubber bushing in propeller. you must have local company do this job. here in Split,Croatia have 1 company do this job charge 500 know 75-80$ .

Rubber bushing is because the propeller must save saildrive if catch rope.

What i sea how work. have this rubber-like impeller From Volvo-penta Yanmar, Gori.. with huge hydraulic press put this seal in propeller(sometime propeller broke) after this some propeller go in the oven 1 day.

ask gori propeller for this flexible bushing spare parts and procedure for repair or where you can send propeler for repair.
the main part of the propeller is lost in about 20M of water...... But thanks for input.
Robinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 09:13   #80

I purchased a boat with Gori 3 blade, cutlass bearing needed replacement. The jacket on the Gori would not come off, after days of trying I hired the yard, they sent 2 guys and both gave up. I eventually had to cut the jacket off as suggested by AB Marine to then just replace the jacket. I found out the new jacket is 600 plus shipping, only to find out the shipping I believe to be from Europe (not sure yet as still waiting for final cost and tracking 3 days later) after reading this I wish I just placed the previous fixed blade back on and be done with it, I've been laid up on the hard for 4 weeks already and have no idea how long a jacket will take but AB just emailed me to say it will come with no holes drilled for set screws so now I also need a machinist. Final cost to just remove and re install Gori with yard fees, new jacket, etc..??? I'll be living in regret in this parking lot perhaps for another couple weeks
HKL Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 09:14   #81
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

What was the problem with the jacket?
Old 30-10-2021, 09:27   #82

It would not back off, I tried propane with no luck, next mechanic used mepp gas, then last guy as second to last try used acetylene, the first mechanic was able to get it most of the way off but while working it back and forth it stop with 1/4" gap and stayed there. Any more force and I would have a serious risk of damage to my strut. The whole ordeal has been a curse that's keeping us on the hard. Once I cut through it and hit a cold chisel it freed up and came off with ease.
Old 30-10-2021, 11:17   #83
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Probably a stupid question but you did remove the the lock bolts from the jacket first, yes?
Old 30-10-2021, 13:23   #84

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "jacket" on a folding prop? No such part name on my F-O-F three blade.

Jim
Old 30-10-2021, 17:43   #85
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "jacket" on a folding prop? No such part name on my F-O-F three blade.

Jim

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1635641029.620164.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	247592
Old 30-10-2021, 17:59   #86

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

^^^^
Thanks, Matt... a very different assembly. I really like the simplicity of my F-O-F!

Jim
Old 31-10-2021, 05:27   #87

Yes of course the locking or set screws were removed. I've just decided to cancel the jacket order for now and put my fixed blade back on until next hull out.
Old 31-10-2021, 05:47   #88

FYI that assembly is very different from the 2-blade.

BTW when I bought my boat it had a 20-yo Gori 2-blade on one drive and I only replaced it bc I wanted the newer collar style zinc.

And for the nine years and +10K miles I’ve now owned this boat, I still have and quite like my Gori props. But I do my work myself and do follow their instructions
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 07:08   #89

Boat: S2 9.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
First of all, I bought the boat used, and the prop hasn't been off the shaft since I owned it. I did remove the shaft once for a different problem, and I also replaced the blades because of wear/damage to the gears which was there when I bought the boat. (I don't know how that happened).

When I replaced the blades, for each blade I undid an allen screw which locked in place a second allen screw. This allowed the removal of a short fat SS pin which is the hinge for the prop blade. After removing both blades and the integral gear on each one, this exposes the shaft nut. I didn't go any farther, but it looked to me like a normal type installation with a locknut or similar, and a tapered shaft with a key. I don't know for sure.

Steve B.

I have used Gori two bladed folding props since the 70s. I have not had an issue and like the props.

In the Gori instructions they tell you to use a Locktite product on the Allen screws. If this was not done, then that could be the cause of the lost prop?
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 03:53   #90

Gori two blade interesting failure
Coming in to a dock , very strong tail wind , Yanmar sail drive , in reverse, brought the engine revs up gradually to 2500 in the process of braking.
The rubber dampener parted from the hollow inside of the prop body and spun off , leaving an intact rubber , spline, and retaining screw on the shaft.
It seems the rubber dampener is only a captive component in forward thrust , with the only thing stopping any gory from flying off in reverse, is the adhesion of the rubber to the prop !!!!! Ffs.
Not reliable enough for me . There are viable competitors out there — im changing to kiwi prop
I joined this forum to tell as many yachties as I can. , for the simple reason that gori , deny this can happen , yet many forums have stories about it happening. .
If gori were honest enough to admit it happens, I’d probably consider a replacement , but — nah !!
Glueinhair is offline   Reply With Quote