Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2020, 09:49   #61

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462
Re: Has anyone considered using wire for hose clamps, instead of threaded steel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
So, with a rubber hose not reinforced with internal wire, do you find the hose will be cut by the wire clamp? How many turns around the hose do you typically use?

I would think corrosion and breakage would be more of a problem when using wire, due to the much smaller amount of metal cross-section in the wire compared to the standard hose clamp.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 10:09   #62

Boat: Gulfstar 41
Re: Has anyone considered using wire for hose clamps, instead of threaded steel?

I've used this system for years. I still use hose clamps where hoses need to be removed (e.g. winterizing the fresh water system). It works wel and one roll of SS wire fits all sizes of hose.
lewisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 10:49   #63
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
So, with a rubber hose not reinforced with internal wire, do you find the hose will be cut by the wire clamp? How many turns around the hose do you typically use?

I would think corrosion and breakage would be more of a problem when using wire, due to the much smaller amount of metal cross-section in the wire compared to the standard hose clamp.
Hose does not get cut unless you do that on purpose by tensioning it too much. The perfect execution for me is that the wire is flush with the hose.

It does not corrode at all when you use Monel wire, because Monel does not corrode. It does not break when you use wire of sufficient diameter. Use T-clamps for engine exhaust systems etc.

The number of wraps? It is a technique like a knot, you don’t just wrap some wire. The recommended clamp has a doubled wire make two full turns, so four turns total. There are videos showing this, some linked in this thread
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 10:52   #64

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissteyn View Post
Reading thru all comments - the one glaring omission is that when you get a survey - it is highly likely this type of clamp will have to be replaced with “normal” clamps.
With a survey costing around 750 , give or take - you want to get a clean first time look-see where they don’t start looking for other problems !
No. When a surveyor wants you to replace the wire clamp with another one, it is because you used it for the wrong application, i.e. engine exhaust where T-clamps are needed etc. or you used too thin wire.

The hose clamps with screw are not used much outside DIY. Much more often wire clamps, crimp clamps etc.
Old 20-03-2020, 11:12   #65

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
If the $100 tool was the only option, I think is give it a pass, but there are some simpler DIY approaches:

https://youtu.be/b21JWw3U4TY

Clamptite tool is available for $29 in Ebay. And I saw three different DIY versions online that didn't require anything more than hand tools to make (handheld drill, file, hacksaw and a vise). The one I liked the most was very creative, using a cheap hardware store turnbuckle, a bolt and a wing nut! And the guy's accent is priceless.

https://youtu.be/5w1_9IkeRmQ
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 11:41   #66

Boat: HUNTER 450

Life on board is already so complicated... I love my hoses clamps (anti-vibration are the best). One screwdriver, 10 turns.... Over... Thats-it!!!
EthanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 12:09   #67

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanC View Post
Life on board is already so complicated... I love my hoses clamps (anti-vibration are the best). One screwdriver, 10 turns.... Over... Thats-it!!!
Love the cuts in the arms when working around those clamps as well
Old 20-03-2020, 13:39   #68

Boat: HUNTER 450

So???
EthanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 14:29   #69

Boat: Florida Coaster 42’

Had one for over 10 years, would only use it for temporary repairs. There is a reason the entire marine industry, as well as automotive and heavy truck mfrs use hose clamps.
timb7734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 06:32   #70

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timb7734 View Post
Had one for over 10 years, would only use it for temporary repairs. There is a reason the entire marine industry, as well as automotive and heavy truck mfrs use hose clamps.
When you look under the hood of your car, you will not find one single of these diy screw type hose clamps
Old 21-03-2020, 06:45   #71

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
When you look under the hood of your car, you will not find one single of these diy screw type hose clamps

Depends on the manufacturer and age of the car. My 1998 build Jeep had 100% spring clamps from the factory. My 2001 BMW, however, has no spring clamps. Big connections are all o-ring and clip style quick disconnects attached to the hose with crimped clamps. But the smaller hoses are all screw clamps (which I found a bit strange).
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 08:07   #72

If done properly with the use of proper materials, a wire hose clamp used with a barbed fitting is perfectly acceptable. It takes skill to achieve an even pressure and loop the wire four times around the hose. In cases where larger diameter hoses are to be clamped, it is essential to use larger diameter wire. I have found that stainless steel safety wire works well for small hoses - up to 3/4" - and will work for larger hoses if two separate sets of wires are used. Wire is much more economical than marine grade hose clamps with a worm gear drive but critical hoses should be secured with regular hose clamps unless you are expert at using wire. I have never had a fitting failure attributable to a bad wire hose clamp in 63 years of boating. I use wire rather than store several sizes of hose clamps.
lituya1617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 14:59   #73

Just a friendly word of caution:
This type of hose clamping is not approved by loyd's register or others!

Meaning: yes it will work, but no, insurance will not pay if it fails.

I think it's a wonderfull tool to have on board for emergency (temporary) repairs or to use them on non vital systems like the on board water distribution.
For everything connected to a through-hull and below the waterline however, I will use a quality approved stainless hose clamp of the appropriate type. Yes these are expensive. Sinking the boat always costs more..
Nova Zembla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 17:25   #74

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova Zembla View Post
Just a friendly word of caution:
This type of hose clamping is not approved by loyd's register or others!

Meaning: yes it will work, but no, insurance will not pay if it fails.

I think it's a wonderfull tool to have on board for emergency (temporary) repairs or to use them on non vital systems like the on board water distribution.
For everything connected to a through-hull and below the waterline however, I will use a quality approved stainless hose clamp of the appropriate type. Yes these are expensive. Sinking the boat always costs more..
Your comment requires a link to Loyds documents that show that. My boat is ABS and Loyds certified and yet just looking at my Yanmar, it has all kinds of spring clamps, wire clamps etc.
Old 22-03-2020, 02:34   #75

Quote:
Your comment requires a link to Loyds documents that show that. My boat is ABS and Loyds certified and yet just looking at my Yanmar, it has all kinds of spring clamps, wire clamps etc.
Thank you for your response!
I'm sure your Yanmar uses all kinds of spring and wire clamps, this is pretty common.
When it comes to the salt water inlet, thru-hulls and wet exhaust hoses I'm fairly confident that quality stainless steel hoseclamps are being used though.

In order to get a Lloyd's Register approval on a product they look at:
1: Product design
2: Type testing (including sample testing)
3: Quality Assurance verification of the manufacturing facilities

Since the wire hoseclamp in this topic is manufactured by the end user on location there can be no certification of the finished product.
The only certifications that would be possible are on the quality of the tool itself, and perhaps the tensile strength and corrosive properties of the wire. Neither guarantees a certified hoseclamp.
In case it fails it will be nearly impossible to prove
A: that the remaining wire was indeed the recommended type.
B: that the hoseclamp has been made correctly by the installer.

A quick check shows no issued Lloyd's approvals for the clamptite company, or any wire clamp for that matter. The only approval I could find is for the JCS Hi-Grip range clamps (92/00154(E6))

Here's the link to the LR approvals database: https://www.lr.org/en/lr-approvals/

If you find a Lloyds approval for these wire clamps please let me know! In the meanwhile I took the liberty of sending an email to the clamptite company, maybe they can answer the question for us.

As I said before, I think this is an invaluable tool to have on board for emergency repairs or for use on non critical systems! Just use common sense with it when it comes to any hose connection that can potentially flood your boat
Nova Zembla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steel