Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2020, 05:07   #1

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'
Has anyone considered using wire for hose clamps, instead of threaded steel?

Most boats have quite a few hose clamps on board, and I'm sure most of us carry a number of spares.

I learned of this, the other day:

https://clamptitetools.com/

https://youtu.be/982bm_fEm7c

It's a tool for making clamps out of wire. Apparently, this was the usual practice, 100 years ago, but it seems to have fallen out of favor.

The tool itself is rather pricy, but there are DIY versions:
https://youtu.be/WGGIJfzZxVs

If the resulting wire clamps are solid, I can see some advantages.

Anyone used anything like this?
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 05:18   #2

Re: Has anyone considered using wire for hose clamps, instead of threaded steel?

I’ve used wire for tiny hose clamps

In general I can’t see a use for that tool on a boat

Space , access to the clamp , is always poor

Clamps that handle hot water must be constant torque style or the expansion of the hose barb will cause the clamp to crush the rubber hose

Your tool could be handy for emergency repairs
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 05:46   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Has anyone considered using wire for hose clamps, instead of threaded steel?

Ive made many wire hose clamps ashore and as a provisional fix on boats. Never used a fancy tool, just a stout pair of lineman's pliers.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 05:47   #4

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

If the $100 tool was the only option, I think is give it a pass, but there are some simpler DIY approaches:

https://youtu.be/b21JWw3U4TY
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 05:59   #5

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Works quite well to clamp a hose, but also to bind different things together. I have one on the boat and one on the campervan, together with duct-tape and cable ties, can fix nearly anything
Old 13-03-2020, 06:02   #6

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

I have had one for a lot of years. A hose clamp is easier and quicker, but it does have it's uses. I have scabbed two rods together to extend length, I made a quick gaff using the clamptite to hold the hook to the pole, have used it to clamp hoses. It's a good tool to have in your bag of tricks. Only downside is I have to reread the directions every time I use it. Soon to be off the boat, it will be a keeper tool.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 06:20   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Holy crap - $130! ➥ https://clamptitetools.com/
I got mine, at the Ft Lauderdale boat show (mid 1990s), for under $20, less the pouch.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 07:13   #8
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I knew of several people who pitched them in the bin after failures. They are NOT as secure and conventional hose clamps, and what is the cost of a failure? Yes, they are one-size-fits-all, but they are more cumbersome to use in tight spots, often slower, less secure, and not a cost savings unless you are using a lot of clamps... but you won't use this for through hull, engine, or pressure water, or sanitation clamps.

I think it falls in the same catagory as cheap climbing rope--no use at all.
Old 13-03-2020, 07:21   #9

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

I see they are sold out of the $40 ones; that's more like I paid more than 20 years ago.

If there is room to work it, and usually there is, they do a better job because they make a more perfect circle w/o the flat side at the screw of a hose clamp. And you can tighten more than a hose clamp. But they can't be tightened later, so I normally use a hose clamp. I consider the Clamptite for emergency use.

But it is handy for mounting things, perhaps designed for using hose clamps. I mounted an antenna bracket to the stern rail with the CT, and it looked a lot better than with the hose clamp it was designed for.

I've also used it for installing new ends on a garden hoe, rather than a HC. Covered the wire with heat shrink tubing and didn't have the clunky HC screw sticking out.

So I find it very useful at times.

Someone had an article (maybe Good Old Boat?) about using nylon line with a Clamptite, but I've not tried that.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 07:24   #10

Looks to me They would tend to cut the hose
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 07:33   #11
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

For a long time already
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...mps-973-3.html
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 08:31   #12

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Holy crap - $130! ➥ https://clamptitetools.com/
I got mine, at the Ft Lauderdale boat show (mid 1990s), for under $20, less the pouch.

They have a range of sizes priced down to $30.

https://clamptitetools.com/collections/tools
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 09:13   #13

Best to use T-Bolt s.s hose clamps $2-3 ea.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 09:16   #14
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I see a lot of negative comments about this product which is not surprising on this forum, but readers should realize that these are mostly ignorant statements from people who probably never even touched one, let alone have experience with them.

These tools are the bees knees. With hose clamps, most problems come with the threaded screw that rusts, strips out the clamp etc. With this tool you get the very best screw and remove it when the clamp is in place.

There’s more: the actual clamp that is left can be of the very best material. I use Monel wire. It’s also very light, which is why it is used in the aircraft industry.

Now the negatives: you need a certain amount of space around the hose to use the clamp. Also, to remove the clamp you have to cut it out and throw it away.

I use this tool with Monel wire whenever access allows it and it is a hose that never needs to be taken off during it’s normal lifespan. I use top quality ABA or AWAB hose clamps otherwise. Make sure to always use the ribbed ones; never the ones with open slots where they always break when they fail.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 09:18   #15

Smile Re: Has anyone considered using wire for hose clamps, instead of threaded steel?

It is reasonably common in aviation to use lock wire twice circled around the tube or hose before twisting as a hose clamp.
A decent pair of twisting lock wire pliers will cost more than $100 though today.
Spring wire hose clamps are also not uncommon and special pliers are available for their installation and release - they are usually excellent.
The "trick" ones in today's world are the heat shrink hose clamps developed for temperature extremes made by Gates etc. very effective, light and non-corrosive.
Cheers,
Niall.
Niall leslie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steel