Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2012, 06:56   #1

Boat: Allied Seawind 30'
High Gain Wifi Antenna's

I am planning on buying a new High Gain Wifi Antenna. I am looking at the SuperPass Long Range 38 dBm USB or the Super USB KA 20 45 dBm. Does anyone have any feeling about these or other products available

I am fairly clueless when it comes to this stuff, but I don't want a router because it uses more power and seems to me to just be another piece of electronics to break and store (30' boat). I would prefer something I can just plug into my usb.
SeawindGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 10:19   #2

Re: High Gain Wifi Antenna's

This kind of antenna is going to be very directional. Meaning that it is going to have to be aimed at the source to be effective. Easy enough to do when at a dock, not so much when at anchor.

Maybe something to consider.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 10:46   #3

Boat: Sabre 42

Hi,

When I did the research over a year ago, I found that for my own setup, a wifi booster install that did not rely on USB was a better choice. I mounted the booster and antenna on the outboard hoist pole at the stern and ran Ethernet cable to the nav station a little more than 5 meters away. The Ethernet cable plugs directly into almost all laptops so there's no need for a router. If you would want to add a wireless router later (for an iPad for example), this would be easy as well. With my booster (a Bullet 4HP), power is supplied over the Ethernet cable, so there's only one wire to run.

There are several pre-configured versions of this setup for boats available online that are built around this Bullet wifi radio. I am frugal so I just bought the radio and a 6dB antenna and configured it myself.
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 11:04   #4

Boat: searching...

Hi,

I use a pre configured Antenna from WaveWifi (Rogue Wave | Wave Wifi, the #1 Name in Marine Wifi, Yacht Wifi, Marina Wifi & Wireless Internet) very happy with that setup.

The previous comments are real good hints: First go with a omni directional Antenna, all other is a nightmare at anchor and I highly recommend Ethernet over USB as well. You have the option to install a 12V router (50US) and can serve multiple devices (not all devices can handle USB Internet/and or you need drivers/cables - and you never know what gimmick you like next).

Another thing, even if I'm happy with my product I like the new Wire AP very much. (The Wirie and The WirieAP: Product Overview and Comparison). You could build that yourself. Since the whole stuff (including a wireless router at no extra space!) is in a watertight box its very easy to handle. Plug in to 12V and voila. I know guys who hoist that thing up in the mast - amazing how much more reception you get. And since wireless is build in the only thing you need is a free halyard and a longer 12V cable...
swisscraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 11:09   #5

I have the wirie ap; really happy with it.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 11:16   #6

Boat: Lagoon, 38

I have been looking at a product called nauticloud....
RockBottomCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 07:44   #7

Boat: Topper Hermanson, Cutter, 36

I have installed the Bad Boy wifi with repeater inside the boat. It was a little pricey but it works very well at anchor and in marinas. Cheers/ Golden Echo
Golden Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 13:11   #8

Boat: Gulfstar CSY 50

what sort of range are you getting with your devices? The Wifi Bat claims 10 miles (i'm not that optimist) but realistically what could I expect? Is the wifi bat worth the $$$/£££ or should I spend my money elsewhere?
frazerhalliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 13:33   #9

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I have been checking out these guys. Seems to be reasonably priced but no claims of distance. Anyone try these?
Marine WiFi Systems
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 13:49   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I have been checking out these guys. Seems to be reasonably priced but no claims of distance. Anyone try these?
Marine WiFi Systems
Have not bought one yet but when I do will buy from these guys. Every report I have read from customers has been very happy with the product and completely blown away with the support. Since I know just enough about this stuff to be dangerous, good support is highly appreciated.

You could build the same system they offer for a little less but not that much less, especially when you start adding up your time.

Regarding distance, again from reports, their system matches the performance of others.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 14:02   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Have not bought one yet but when I do will buy from these guys. Every report I have read from customers has been very happy with the product and completely blown away with the support. Since I know just enough about this stuff to be dangerous, good support is highly appreciated.

You could build the same system they offer for a little less but not that much less, especially when you start adding up your time.

Regarding distance, again from reports, their system matches the performance of others.
Thanx for that...It seems like it was made by a cruiser for a cruiser. I'm in a slip now using T-mobile for $50 a month and 5 gigs of band width. Even though I do not download videos, it still uses almost all of it. So this would be a great asset to run with it. I seriously doubt any 10 mile claim. But if it pulled an unsecured WiFi in from one mile to 3 out of 5 bars, I would be jazzed!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 13-11-2012, 14:22   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Any claims for WiFi "range" are for the tourists. Like the walkietalkies you see in the drugstore that say "20 mile range!" on them.

The only meaningful number is how many watts effective radiated power (ERP) or a similar power output figure that also tells you if it is directional or omnidirectional. The reception sensitivity also counts, as does the power of the other station, but all you can compare for certain is the ERP of your own unit.

And, if the unit is "2" or "5" gigahertz or both. The 802.11n gear can use both bands and while 5GHz connections are less common, they tend to have fewer interference problems as well. The older 802.11g equipment is obsolete, no matter how well it is still supported.

Ten miles is certainly possible. The record is something like 128 miles but that's using special software and a BIG dish. But "mile" claims are like selling a sports car based on the numbers on the speedometer. Looks good, means nothing.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 16:31   #13

Boat: Sabre 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor
Marine WiFi Systems
Like skipmac, I have heard nothing but great things about these. They are on my list of stuff-to-buy when I get the budget for it.

I'm sure you could piece together your own system, but I'd rather pay an extra $50 (or what ever the number is) to same the hassle.
Old 13-11-2012, 16:37   #14

Yes...and the hassle for me is, like Skipjack, I know enough to be dangerous and the tech support for me would be terrible if it didn't work.
Old 13-11-2012, 17:39   #15
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I purchased an extender off Amazon for around $100 and it worked great for getting a connection. The real problem is that almost all networks are now password protected. The ones with great signals are usually hotels and you won't be able to get the password. The restaurants have their signals turned down so low now that when you walk out the door you loose connection.

Have you looked at the ATT mifi? I think you can use it in the USVI without any extra charges. 3g and 4g are going to make all these antenna systems obsolete within a year or two.

Tags
antenna