Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2020, 07:26   #31

Boat: Catalina 350
Re: I needeed a good digital fridge thermostat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
So does anyone know of a source of controllers in this form-factor that have adjustable hysteresis?
Most of them do, I investigated a lot and went with this one

https://www.amazon.com/XLX-Microcomp...strial&sr=1-42

to control the spillover fan from the freezer setting the fridge section temperature. The fan itself was the only man made thing I could hear when sat anchored so that had to go, I went with a computer fan. Looking at gamer websites, super quiet 12v ball bearing fans for desktop systems are popular and there are many to choose from.

For the freezer thermostat I kept it simple, just like the boat original item and my home fridge it has a 1-5 dial and is a bi-metal switch
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=...sQuxd6BQgBEKED

Then to know what temp I have it set to and that the cold plate etc is actually working- this solution is aesthetically far more pleasing and I know the temp without opening the freezer door and saves having temp loss from wiring coming through the sealed box- buy a pretty and cheap weather station and pop the external temp sensor in the freezer

https://www.weathershack.com/product...08-1417bl.html
cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 07:26   #32

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Surprised nobody has mentioned the Stainless Lobster. I love mine!

Puts more cold in the bank when charging, defrost cycle, highly configurable, lots of benefits.

Here is a review: https://seabits.com/save-battery-bee...dge-optimizer/
patja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 07:30   #33

Boat: Corbin 39

I had several failures with Egis Mobile's Stainless Lobster. The product was so voltage sensitive that they have now dropped it.
toddedger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 07:43   #34

Boat: Corbin 39

The Corel IR33 is an industrial grade thermostat that comes in many configurations. It will handle low voltages and spikes the Amazon knock offs will not. OP's picture looks like Corel but is not.

COREL model code IR33SOLNOO will turn compressor on and off, and can be set for defrost intervals. Works like a charm.

I purchased from Great Water, a really great mom and pop marine refrigeration company that really know their stuff. Though I highly recommend them, if you have the correct model number you can purchas it anywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	3.4 KB
ID:	221462  
toddedger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 07:57   #35

Boat: Jeanneau SO 440

I concur that the Carel thermostats are solidly built and last a long time. And I bought mine through Great Water as well. I had one on my previous boat, and three on my current boat. There's no guess work with a legacy dial that just has numbers like 1-5, or one, two or three snowflakes... who knows what temps these mean anyway!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200817_175520.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	414.7 KB
ID:	221463  
tgrimmett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 08:17   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoohaa View Post
Does anyone have any experience with these thermostats? Or can point me in the direction of a reasonably priced option.
I am wanting to have better control of my fridge and freezer in order to minimise the power draw.
Here's what I've been looking at.
Attachment 220503

I built my own last year out of spare electronics I had on board when my mechanical thermostat died in the Bahamas. I now have digital control and reporting as well as an alarm and programmable settings and auto defrost. Quite the upgrade from the original. I think the total for the materials was about $8.

I wrote a little about it here

Since its a long summer and I'm off the boat, a mk II is underway on a dedicated pcb. It has wifi and is bluetooth enabled to save wiring and cutting holes for even more displays.

Good luck on your search.
jram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 10:59   #37

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Does anyone have any experience with these thermostats? Or can point me in the direction of a reasonably priced option.
I am wanting to have better control of my fridge and freezer in order to minimise the power draw.
Attachment 220503
I have been using exactly this thermostat after removing an old mechanical one that was difficult to set and monitor. Now over a year and it works great. I like to have the large temp display to track in a glance, any changes in the temperature.
Old 18-08-2020, 21:12   #38

Boat: Beneteau First 38 - Noces d'Argent

Quote:
Attachment 220503
I have used the CHANEY units - senders fit in the fridge and the display stays outside. Got them on sale - they work very well. Also, for power control, I use an electronic timer bypassing the fridge sensor, so I can set the length of time the fridge - freezer operates. It is set 20 minutes off and ten minutes on - that woks perfect for me here in Vancouver, and our solar panels more that cover the draw. Good luck with your project. Doug
SammyYvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2023, 10:00   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuthbert View Post
Most of them do, I investigated a lot and went with this one

https://www.amazon.com/XLX-Microcomp...strial&sr=1-42

to control the spillover fan from the freezer setting the fridge section temperature. The fan itself was the only man made thing I could hear when sat anchored so that had to go, I went with a computer fan. Looking at gamer websites, super quiet 12v ball bearing fans for desktop systems are popular and there are many to choose from.

For the freezer thermostat I kept it simple, just like the boat original item and my home fridge it has a 1-5 dial and is a bi-metal switch
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=...sQuxd6BQgBEKED

Then to know what temp I have it set to and that the cold plate etc is actually working- this solution is aesthetically far more pleasing and I know the temp without opening the freezer door and saves having temp loss from wiring coming through the sealed box- buy a pretty and cheap weather station and pop the external temp sensor in the freezer

https://www.weathershack.com/product...08-1417bl.html
I know this is an old thread but I had bought these as well to control my freezer temp but the original phone cord lines that were to report temperature and turn on the compressor got very hot. Did you use a larger gauge wire?
ryanandtracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2023, 11:45   #40

Boat: Compromis 888 (29ft)

The sensor wires should not get hot at all, the current should be negligible. So either someone made a serious installation mistake, or the device itself is toast. Wires that heat up are usually a serious warning to take immediate action.