Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2010, 16:12   #1

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
Ikea Beds

Firstly, I am no way associated with Ikea, I share this because I have found something that works good, just as I have shared about Natures Head.

I have a single twin in the cabin now as I am in the middle of a refit. The single on the foundation I have in this link:
IKEA | Mattresses | Slatted bed bases | SULTAN LAXEBY | Slatted bed base and I put this mattress on it
IKEA | Mattresses | Foam mattresses | SULTAN FONNES | Foam mattress

I went back today and returned a queen sized foundation for a double because I just could not fit the queen in the v berth. After I cut the top 1/2 of a hanging locker down to the deck height of the V Berth and took some 75" 2x4's and a carpender square it became apparent that a 80"x60" bed just was not going to work if I wanted to keep both the Head and the galley, but a 53"x 75" bed would work, so I traded. Just cannot fit 5 gallons in a 3 gallon bucket; I tried.

Now to the test results, I have been sleeping on the twin in the cabin for about a week now and it is great. With bedding, the foundation of slats and the mattress it is less thanb 9" thick and it sleeps like a posturpetic or some such. Very comfortable. I put 2 cinch nylon straps around it and just tuck the sheet and blanket under the mattress and flip it up against the bulkhead, don't even know it is there. I will cover the underside with some type of light weight carpet later.

The double is the same foundation with another, nicer mattress which will be my bed in the v berth and I will likely get another twin for the other side of the cabin. The twins will be great sleeping underweigh and insofar as the v berth may not be the best place, especially if there are seas. So there are 2 sea-guest beds and one master that are light, comfortable, thin and do not completely break the bank.
Old 07-03-2010, 16:58   #2

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
I forgot to mention, the mattresses come in a plastic bag, rolled up and the foundations come in 2 boxes for assembly. so you will have no troble getting them aboard.
Old 07-03-2010, 17:43   #3

I use one of the Ikea slat systems with my existing foam boat mattress. Much cheaper than the Froli (sp?) system. I trimmed the slat lengths to fit the berth shape. It also had a way that you could double up some slats to add firmness in certain spots. Huge improvement in comfort and keeps airflow under the mattress.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 18:10   #4
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
I know the Ikea system, we have a bed with it, and it is much better than on a hard surface, but it does not even come close to the froli... not even in the same galaxy...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote