Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2017, 16:48   #61

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: International Micron 66

FWIW, Micron 66 didn’t work well for me, but the water is warm here. Seahawk Biocop TF has done the best job for me.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 17:48   #62
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
None of us "know" stuff that's outside our own experience. Sorry, Kenomac, we don't do videos. But if you're trying to call my Jim a liar in a polite way, it is not amusing, nor is it true. One of those 15 kn. through the water times, we were sort of out of control, but for others, this boat is a performance boat, not very heavy for her size for a cruising boat. Of course she surfs downwind, too. Our averages, still are below the 8.8 theoretical hull speed, but we do routinely see more in a breeze--9's, 10's, and 11's, mostly. Ymmv. Your boat is very different from ours. Dockhead's boat has been set up continually to improve its windward performance, and he's spent bunches to optimize his sails for his conditions. He's not misleading you, he's made his boat faster by spending $$ on it.

Ann
Asking someone to offer up some proof, isn’t the same as calling someone a “liar.” Please drop the over-sensitivity.

I’ve been called a “nine year old” and a “pitbull” on this thread, and my boat has been called “tubby,” “slow” and “heavy”.... but you don’t hear me crying about it, even though all I was asking for was a visual of the “finer boats.” Next time, please use your smartphone to video your boat when it’s doing 15 knots if you expect us to believe your story.

And BTW... that was me in the spacesuit back in 1969 taking the first steps on the moon, NOT...... Neil Armstrong as the news reported. Here’s a picture of me waving.

Looks to me like Micron 66 won’t work well near Italy since I spend half the year up a freshwater tributary. I’ll probably stick with the cheap stuff and scrub more often.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1E474619-709C-4DA4-B674-63E310273AE9.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	437.8 KB
ID:	160727  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 18:01   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You guys had the Rover with you on the first landing?

Interesting story, you ever wonder why the videos of the first landing are so crappy?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 18:16   #64
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You guys had the Rover with you on the first landing?

Interesting story, you ever wonder why the videos of the first landing are so crappy?
Yes definitely, we had the Rover.... a little known fact. The videos were crappy because video tape hadn’t yet been invented.
Old 19-12-2017, 18:23   #65

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Next time, please use your smartphone to video your boat when it’s doing 15 knots if you expect us to believe your story.
Ken, I really don't give a rats ass if you believe our story, and I'm not likely to be spending time doing a video to dispel your disbelief.

I know that in the entire recorded history of CF you have never once been wrong, but maybe this will be the first time. How many reports of boats exceeding their theoretical hull speed will it take to convince you? If Dockhead produces his video and Pete7 continues to verify his claim, will you be convinced? So far, all you have done is convince many of us that you are ill informed about the realities of "hull speed" calculations and their relationship to achieved performance.

As to the 15+ knot episodes, there have been but three in the 15 years and 58,000 miles we've done in this boat. I don't claim them as expected performance. But the ~ 10 knot speed reaching is not so uncommon and I do expect to do that sort of speed when conditions are right.

I haven't called you a pit bull or a nine year old, but IIRC from my parenting days, there is an age where children say "no, no, no,no..." no matter what is presented to them.

Jim
Old 19-12-2017, 18:30   #66
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Ken, I really don't give a rats ass if you believe our story, and I'm not likely to be spending time doing a video to dispel your disbelief.

I know that in the entire recorded history of CF you have never once been wrong, but maybe this will be the first time. How many reports of boats exceeding their theoretical hull speed will it take to convince you? If Dockhead produces his video and Pete7 continues to verify his claim, will you be convinced? So far, all you have done is convince many of us that you are ill informed about the realities of "hull speed" calculations and their relationship to achieved performance.

As to the 15+ knot episodes, there have been but three in the 15 years and 58,000 miles we've done in this boat. I don't claim them as expected performance. But the ~ 10 knot speed reaching is not so uncommon and I do expect to do that sort of speed when conditions are right.

I haven't called you a pit bull or a nine year old, but IIRC from my parenting days, there is an age where children say "no, no, no,no..." no matter what is presented to them.

Jim
Like Dockhead, you must also have a warp drive aboard your starship....awesome, ‘wish I had one..

“Engage!”
Old 19-12-2017, 18:45   #67

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Like Dockhead, you must also have a warp drive aboard your starship....awesome, ‘wish I had one..

“Engage!”

How about this, a 1976 allied seawind lead mine with no appreciable hydrodynamic refinement to its underbody. 6.76k hull speed. There is not a 2 knot current in this area.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0065.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	440.5 KB
ID:	160732
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 19:15   #68

Boat: Rafiki 37

I appreciate all the on-topic info about Micron 66. I’ve been considering it for next season.

As for the speed silliness, let me just add that my full-keel, ridiculous-displacement, LWL: 32’ boat hit 15 knots this past season, and averaged over 12 knots for more than a week. And I even have photos to prove it

… of course, this happened as we were riding the ebb tide as we flushed down the St. Lawrence
Old 20-12-2017, 12:58   #69

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Has this hull speed thing just up and died?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 13:52   #70

Hope not, it was a fun read.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 13:58   #71

Boat: Rafiki 37

I just figured everyone was in such awe of my speed record than nothing more need be said .

… but I’d much rather be learning more about Micron 66.
Old 20-12-2017, 14:22   #72

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

It'd want to be good.
$79/litre for the 66 vs $45/ litre for the Altex sea barrier 3000 we have had on for 18 mths.

https://marinetradesupplies.com.au/?...-micron-66-10l

https://marinetradesupplies.com.au/?...3000-10l-black
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 15:30   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My 28,000 lb PSC44 has a 33' 7" DWL and we regularly top 10 kts for minutes at a time with the spinnaker up in big wind. Put us in front of a wave and we will surf (not plane) for a short time at 11 kts -- all measured by GPS and confirmed by paddlewheel knotmeter, and witnessed by my crewmembers. Our knotmeter has topped 12 kts, but I suspect that was due to water agitated when we were plowing through the waves.

In these cases we are pushing the boat extremely hard. At ten kts we are on the hairy edge of losing control -- the boat would much rather broach and lay over sideways (and I've got the broken spinnaker poles to prove it!) We are plowing a huge hole in the water, and certainly exceeding our static hull speed, and even our "at speed" hull speed (waterline closer to 40 ft). It just takes lots of power.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 18:14   #74

Boat: Tartan 40

Yup Ken. We regularly exceed hull speed cruising on our T40 which admittedly is a performance oriented cruiser. But that’s still with full tanks dinghy on davits, genset, 180 feet chain, etc. best run was offshore this past summer where we averaged 9 knots on a broad reach, max surf was 12.6 knots but regularly exceeded 10. I have no need to prove it to you but wish I had videoed it. Maybe all of your raw sewage discharge makes your bottom foul more than the rest of us [emoji3]
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 18:56   #75

Boat: Norseman 447

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
Nice review of the 66. Was wondering how it fared.

Sorry you have to deal with senseless barking from a pitbull.

+1, done plenty of 200 nms days on our 31 ton schooner!