Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2017, 19:09   #196

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Is Coppercoat anti foul worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I think you have misunderstood. The first picture is of my hull, straight out of the water, 'before' cleaning. The second picture, is after a karcher.

Though, even after a karcher, this is the best my hull has ever been after cleaning anyway. I usually blow quite a bit of the traditional anti foul off with the karcher.
well, you are quite right... I did misunderstand! Your hull looks damn good for 19 months.

Two questions: where exactly was she moored, and what is a Karcher?

Jim
Old 08-10-2017, 19:40   #197

Boat: Catalina 470

Karcher=Gerni, hi pressure cleaner....i think.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 20:02   #198
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Karcher=Gerni, hi pressure cleaner....i think.
Exactly
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 20:12   #199

Thanks! I suspected such, but we Yanks, even with Google translate sometimes have a hard time with 'Stryne.

Jim
Old 08-10-2017, 20:31   #200
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Thanks! I suspected such, but we Yanks, even with Google translate sometimes have a hard time with 'Stryne.
Karcher is not Aussie for "pressure washer." It's a brand name of pressure washers available all over the world.

https://www.kaercher.com/us/
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 20:33   #201

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
This is 'after cleaning'.
Hmmm.... given my current plans to live down your way this is VERY interesting indeed.

On a less happy note, that's a nasty looking scrape on the starboard topsides.
Old 08-10-2017, 20:37   #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Karcher is not Aussie for "pressure washer." It's a brand name of pressure washers available all over the world.

Technically you are correct, but at a practical level, Aussies are very prone to adopting a brand name to describe an action or set of products.

For instance we "Gyprock" walls, which is drywall plastering to yous Yanks, even though we may often use Boral Plasterboard when we "Gyprock."

Back in the 50's we'd "Hoover" the carpet, and that name stuck around for vacuum cleaning anything for another 50 years, though now we are more likely to be sucking with a Dyson or a General Electric.

We "Karcher" the patio before a BBQ, even though we may use a Gerni (if we are posh), or more likely an Ozito if we are being frugal.

Welcome to Australia, even Jim, after more years than he can likely remember, falls foul of these little coloquialisms
Old 08-10-2017, 20:49   #203

Quote:

Well, in this case it was apparently used as a verb, not a proper noun with a capital first letter. And as Gilow says, Aussies do mangle the English language on occasion... where, for instance, "hoovering" has nothing to do with corrupt FBI personnel but rather refers to the act of vacuum cleaning a carpet or other surface.

But, despite these little idiosyncrasies, we kinda like most of them even if they talk funny!

Jim
Old 08-10-2017, 20:53   #204
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
...for instance, "hoovering" has nothing to do with corrupt FBI personnel but rather refers to the act of vacuum cleaning a carpet or other surface.
Growing up, we had a different definition of what "hoovering" meant.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 21:03   #205

Quote:
Growing up, we had a different definition of what "hoovering" meant.

If it's rude I'd rather not know, but as kids we were often accused of "hoovering up" our food.
Old 08-10-2017, 21:57   #206

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Hmmm.... given my current plans to live down your way this is VERY interesting indeed.

On a less happy note, that's a nasty looking scrape on the starboard topsides.
Karcher, yep as others have said a brand of pressure cleaner. Though pretty much everyone calls any brand a karcher here, just lazy language on our behalf I think.

She was on a swing mooring from Jan 2016 until April 2017 in the head of the Tamar River at Beauty Point. In April I brought her up to Launceston, which is why most of the weed has fallen off. Our river is so disgusting that nothing will live in it. The only place I found an oyster growing was on the prop. Just the one remarkably.

That scrape I'm hoping will buff out. It happened within a few weeks of being painted after my mooring bridle snapped and my boat was tide up to a pontoon jetty. On the other side is also a gash where my boat again broke loose and actually hit a visiting American yacht. No damage to them. And I decided to no longer use that company for the mooring.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 21:59   #207

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Well, in this case it was apparently used as a verb, not a proper noun with a capital first letter. And as Gilow says, Aussies do mangle the English language on occasion... where, for instance, "hoovering" has nothing to do with corrupt FBI personnel but rather refers to the act of vacuum cleaning a carpet or other surface.

But, despite these little idiosyncrasies, we kinda like most of them even if they talk funny!

Jim
yes. for many years as I was growing up the only brand of vacuum cleaner was a Hoover. Thus us older people continue to referring to vacuuming the carpet as 'hoovering'. Young people don't use the term.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 22:05   #208

Quote:
Karcher, yep as others have said a brand of pressure cleaner. Though pretty much everyone calls any brand a karcher here, just lazy language on our behalf I think.

She was on a swing mooring from Jan 2016 until April 2017 in the head of the Tamar River at Beauty Point. In April I brought her up to Launceston, which is why most of the weed has fallen off. Our river is so disgusting that nothing will live in it. The only place I found an oyster growing was on the prop. Just the one remarkably.

That scrape I'm hoping will buff out. It happened within a few weeks of being painted after my mooring bridle snapped and my boat was tide up to a pontoon jetty. On the other side is also a gash where my boat again broke loose and actually hit a visiting American yacht. No damage to them. And I decided to no longer use that company for the mooring.

Interesting!

Down in the D'Entrecasteaux area with which I am more familiar, they call pressure washers "Gurneys" (sp?). Tassie is a culturally diverse place!

I suspect that your location in Launceston is actually pretty good at discouraging growth, with a big influx of fresh water from the Esk as well as the TAmar, alternating with salty flood waters from the mouth of the river. At least up here on the Clarence, where we are just now, that alternating salinity has been known to clean off our bottom in just a couple of weeks. Doesn't get rid of the hard growth, but the various soft species tend to wither and fall off. Pretty good excuse to visit our friends here!

Jim
Old 08-10-2017, 22:20   #209
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

As someone who has lived in the N, S, E & W of Oz, I can tell ya that Aussies on the better side of town use their Gurney (or similar) to gurney the barbie while the rest use whatever they can borrow to karcher the barbie.

But Jim, please be careful lest some accuse of name dropping when you use them big words like "Down in the D'Entrecasteaux " when ya probably mean "cruising the channel"
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 22:27   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
As someone who has lived in the N, S, E & W of Oz, I can tell ya that Aussies on the better side of town use their Gurney (or similar) to gurney the barbie while the rest use whatever they can borrow to karcher the barbie.

I always knew you were a bit of a Toff mate. :^)