Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2020, 14:57   #1

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch
Is Racor LG100 the best fuel spill prevention option?

I'm going crazy trying to find the perfect fuel spill prevention option and would love some informed opinions on the available products today.

More specifically, I have two products I have questions about:

Contestant #1: Racor LG100 Fuel/Air Separator

BoatUS reviewed a bunch of products and determined a clear winner, the Racor LG100 Fuel/Air Separator.

Practical Sailor has a similar listing of products and also rates the Racor LG100 highly.

So it appears that the Racor LG100 is the best available option, but I need more information before I consider it to be perfect for my needs.

QUESTION - if you have experience with this product can you explain to me how it will signal you to stop filling and prevent a spill out the deck fill?

I get that it will prevent fuel coming out of the vent, and even minimize foam, but I don't get how it will help me figure out when to stop filling before I get a gusher out the deck fill.

Contestant #2: Herrington Fuel Spill Guard

This Fuel Spill Guard looks great, BUT, Fisheries Supply (my most trusted resource) stopped selling it, I don't see any other reputable vendor selling it, and when I contacted the manufacturer they offered to sell me one but wouldn't answer my questions about why it's not carried by FS or anyone else.

The reason it looks great to me is that it has an audible 12v alarm and prevents from spilling out fuel vent hose, incorporating a reservoir that returns fuel to the tank.

QUESTION: Know anything about this product? If you have one, how to you like it"

The audible, 12v alarm would definitely help the user know to stop filling, and would be more effective than the low tech Green Marine Fuel Whistle, which requires fuel filling fast enough to generate enough air to hear the whistle.

I have one, have used it 3 times so far, and it works, but one time it didn't and I had a gusher. My theory is that the foam generated by the faster fuel flow blocked the air needed for the whistle. Most recently I tried stopping at a safe fill point and filling the rest of the way in 2 gallon spurts to allow for foam to settle, and that seemed to work, but my tanks are over 100 gallons and that can take a long time (until I get more accurate fuel gauges).

Here's a CF thread that mentions the Fuel Whistle, the Attwood Surge Protector, and the Racor.

I'm just trying to be a clean, responsible boater and while I don't need to fill my tanks to the tippy top, I need a clear signal when to stop filling until I can upgrade my fuel senders.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 12:39   #2

Re: Is Racor LG100 the best fuel spill prevention option?

Update- after a lot of research and experimentation here's a three-pronged strategy that I now use to prevent embarrassing and damaging fuel spills at fuel docks-

1. Spill Prevention at deck fill

I've been using a Scandvik Cleanway and it's a great design that works well to prevent the "gusher" from spilling fuel all over the deck that's happened to me a few times (photo attached).

In truth, since we got it we haven't had a "gusher" because we now take our time and use a start/stop procedure to prevent foam from building up. But it's great peace of mind to know that if we had a gusher it would be contained.

2. Fuel Whistle

We installed a Fuel Whistle in the vent line that lets us know when the tank is near full. Works well but requires enough air flow to work, so we use the start/stop method when we know the tank is 3/4 or more full to ensure we're not creating foam that will prevent the whistle from working.

3. Vent Spill Catcher

This is a game changer for us. Instead of fancy gadgets that either are no longer available or that we don't like how they work (see OP) this device goes over the vent and catches any fuel that spills from overfilling.

Apparently, this used to be commercially available but no longer. But after seeing one at a fuel dock it looked easy to make, so I did! See attached photos. The hardest part is figuring out the rubber ring to cover the area around the vent and direct spilled fuel into the container, but this extra nozzle that came with the Scandvik Cleanway was perfect!

I hope you find this helpful and welcome your comments!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scandvikcleanway.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	224101   Click image for larger version

Name:	ventcatcher1.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	224102  

Name:	ventcatcher2.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	224103  
Old 24-09-2020, 12:52   #3

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

There is also this system from Vetus that I am looking into.
The top part on left is an optional charcoal filter for removing smell of the fumes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4C43D7E7-5BC2-4D5D-B794-E77CEC60A84E.png
Views:	156
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	224111  
sailormed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 12:59   #4

What is so hard about just fueling slowly?

I looked at #3 and it wouldn't fit on my boat, the vent is too close to the rubrail on the transom.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 13:42   #5

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

I used to crumple paper towels to capture vent spills.
Now I fuel and listen carefully. Bubbling gurgles = stop. I could fit another few liters in but at 400 liters between the two ranks that’s ok.
Works for me.
Maybe because the fills are a straight 2’ short shot into each tank. And the vent is close enough to hear.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 13:43   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
There is also this system from Vetus that I am looking into.
The top part on left is an optional charcoal filter for removing smell of the fumes.
That's a very cool system, but reviewing how it works on their website I don't see anything about preventing fuel vent spills.

The Scandvick Cleanway is simpler and cheaper and fits my preference for KISS solutions.
Old 24-09-2020, 15:36   #7

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
What is so hard about just fueling slowly?
For some boats fueling slowly enough to not get some fuel on deck or out the vent means very slowly. I realize that now as our new boat I can fill to the top of the tank at a modest pace and never have a problem. Last boat it was a challenge to not need at least one absorbent pad even when going slowly.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, racor