Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2016, 18:03   #1

Boat: Sceptre 36
Jabsco Head Pump

In the last 2 years, I have replaced the Jabsco locking head pump 3 times. I think this is really poor design and construction. The dealer made good on replacement but really, this is really poor product.
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 18:08   #2

Boat: Krogen 42
Re: Jabsco Head Pump

I'm not sure what pimp you are asking about

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 06-10-2016, 18:09   #3

Boat: Krogen 42

Pump, that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 06-10-2016, 18:12   #4

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Rex Delay,

Jabsco has sold millions of these toilets. You do not need to replace the pump.

Just replace the Joker and Base valve once a year and your good to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jabsco.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	132449  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 18:23   #5

No, actually the pump completely self destructed. There are 6 screws on the top of the pump holding the thing together. Four of them were over torqued and destroyed the plastic studs they were driven into. If they used bolts, no problem but the screws broke the plastic studs and the result was no pump, period. Total failure!
Old 06-10-2016, 18:26   #6

Part number 26 on previous post. Yes I am pissed off. 3 pumps in 2 years is stupid!
Old 06-10-2016, 18:27   #7

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Delay View Post
No, actually the pump completely self destructed. There are 6 screws on the top of the pump holding the thing together. Four of them were over torqued and destroyed the plastic studs they were driven into. If they used bolts, no problem but the screws broke the plastic studs and the result was no pump, period. Total failure!
Wow, we have used these toilets for over 20 years and never have had that happen.

We have 3 of them on our current boat with no issues at all.
Old 06-10-2016, 18:29   #8

On my previous boat, same pump, ten years no problem. Have had this boat 2 years and replaced the pump 3 times. Do not know what they have changed but it is crap!
Old 06-10-2016, 18:46   #9

Community Sponsor

Jabsco Head Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Delay View Post
On my previous boat, same pump, ten years no problem. Have had this boat 2 years and replaced the pump 3 times. Do not know what they have changed but it is crap!
Jabsco has not changed anything. I suspect your going to go through a few more pumps before you figure out that its not the Jabsco pump, but some sort of restriction in you plumbing system.

Their would be millions of pissed off boaters if there was a problem with the Jabsco pump.

We have not seen millions of pissed of boater, other than yourself.

When you do the same thing 3 times and get the same bad result, its time to change your strategy and dig a bit deeper.
Old 06-10-2016, 18:54   #10

It is the pump construction. There are 6 screws on the top which hold the components together. In 2 of the last pumps, the screws were over torqued and broke the plastic studs holding the pump halves together. When they fail, which is inevitable, there is no way to repair as the pump cap is no longer attached to the pump body. This is a recent and hopefully over change in construction technique but it causes a total failure of the pump. Bring out the bucket!!
Old 06-10-2016, 18:59   #11

If the 6 screws were replaced with though bolts, no problem and this failure could not occur.
Old 06-10-2016, 23:29   #12

Firstly, it's not the pump but the person who is tightening the screws. It might be a Jabsco worker, a person at the chandlery or a person on your boat. Some people tighten things that leak a little to try to be helpful. Maybe you have a crew member or guest who lifts the handle too forcefully, hoping to get the bowl perfectly clear. Some people don't appreciate their own strength. Second, I think that a product like the jasbsco which has been performing well for decades in some fairly harsh conditions is a durable product. It can take some serious s**t.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 23:52   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Those screws, at least on my non-locking Jabsco pump, are not common self tappers. They have a double helix thread, and the two threads on the cheap screws are not quite symmetrical. I have found that if when inserting the screw there is any perceptible resistance to turning (this is before it bottoms on the housing), you should withdraw it. As you turn it "backwards" you can feel two distinct "bumps" as it goes past where the threads engage. So, if it has had resistance, as you turn it out, go "one bump" past where it frees up and try retightening the screw. If you have done this correctly, it will screw in easily. If it does not, try again. Eventually you will get the correct orientation and it will go in with very little drag until it bottoms. Then tighten gingerly.

It is failing to do this that cracks the plastic housings. If you crack the housing, all is not lost... usually! Simply drill through the existing screw hole until you have a clear hole all the way through the flange. Then use a long, skinny machine screw and washer and nut on the bottom. Because I did not know about the double helix thread, I cracked one hole on our toilet pump and made t he machine screw adaptation... 13 years ago! Still working, with the replacement of a couple of joker and flap valves over the years. Not a great toilet,but with care they are useable.

Jim
Old 07-10-2016, 16:21   #14

If the assembly was machine screws and nuts which would fit into the existing moldings, it would improve the design and such failures could not happen. The cost to Jabsco for such an improvement would be less than a dime per unit and such failures could not occur. When you have guests aboard and the only head fails completely, it tends to annoy you when it was not operator error but manufacturing defect.
Old 07-10-2016, 18:00   #15

Boat: Camano Troll

Rex, it's pointless for you to tell us how you could come up with a better design for the pump. We are not in a position to change how they build their pumps. It would be more productive it you contacted the manufacturer with your suggestions.

BTW: I have one of those toilets and it's been fine. No problems with the pump.

Tags
head, jabsco