Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2014, 15:54   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Knife?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I agree that there is some romantic or perceived amuletness about knives with many people. On the other hand, though, there is a special feeling about an exquisite purpose-built tool that needs to do a job very well. Screwdrivers and forks just don't fall into that category.

While I have lots of knives around, and like some better than others, the only one that reaches worship status for me is my ...............

(or insert nose hair scissors)

.........................fillet knife. I do a lot of fishing for a wide variety of different types of fish, and a fillet knife that is an extension of your brain is magical.

My old one was many decades old and fit me and my use of it perfectly. Then it broke (because I was stupid with it and tried to use it for another purpose). I spent a couple of years buying and throwing away a dozen knives until I found one that worked with me again. Everything else was just hacking at a dead fish and not carving out a tuna loin in such a way that the sashimi will have the perfect texture size and cut, or working a debone on a snapper so that no one gets a nasty surprise when eating it, or taking the fine and fragile skin off a mahi, etc.

But I don't carry it to church and funerals, et al!

Mark
............ nose hair clippers. I clip many nasal hairs and these tiny scissors as an extension of my brain is magical. My old one was many decades old amd fit me and my use perfectly, then I stupidly broke it when using it as wire clippers. I spent a couple of years buying and throwing away dozens of nose hair scissors until I found one that worled with me again. Everything else was just hacking at mucous membranes and not carving out the nasal hairs in a perfect cut and length. Nobody gets a nasty surprise and I'm not taking off the fine and fragile skin, etc.

But I don't carry it to church of funerals, et al!

Hey, excuse my play, but I don't fish. Everyone is free to find their own esoteric romance! I can appreciate a good screwdriver too! .... 'like an extension of my brain!
Old 11-05-2014, 17:19   #32

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
............ nose hair clippers. I clip many nasal hairs and these tiny scissors as an extension of my brain is magical. My old one was many decades old amd fit me and my use perfectly, then I stupidly broke it when using it as wire clippers. I spent a couple of years buying and throwing away dozens of nose hair scissors until I found one that worled with me again. Everything else was just hacking at mucous membranes and not carving out the nasal hairs in a perfect cut and length. Nobody gets a nasty surprise and I'm not taking off the fine and fragile skin, etc.

But I don't carry it to church of funerals, et al!

Hey, excuse my play, but I don't fish. Everyone is free to find their own esoteric romance! I can appreciate a good screwdriver too! .... 'like an extension of my brain!

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 04:43   #33

Boat: csy 37

I gave up on nose hair clippers a long time ago. The little battery powered ones are much less painful and a whole lot easier to use.

Sent from my SCH-I200PP using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:15   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
I gave up on nose hair clippers a long time ago. The little battery powered ones are much less painful and a whole lot easier to use.

Sent from my SCH-I200PP using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Oh No! ....It was just another knife thread and now it's, "Do those that turn to Power ever go back?"
Old 12-05-2014, 09:48   #35

Boat: Bristol 41.1

I have been happy with a Boye folding knife that I purchased probably twenty years ago.

The blade is made from cobalt and is non-magnetic and corrosion proof. I especially like its low profile that allows me to carry it in my pocket without excessive bulk.

The current version of this knife has a marlinspike/shackle key addition that my version lacks. The shackle key would be handy.

Holds an edge pretty well, and after some use I can open and close it one handed. I have the pointed version, similar to below, less the marlinspike/shackle key of course.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	knives-Boye.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	81054  
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 13:47   #36

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Oh No! ....It was just another knife thread and now it's, "Do those that turn to Power ever go back?"
by now you've probably guessed that i also use an electric shaver. lost too many gallons of blood using a blade....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 14:31   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
by now you've probably guessed that i also use an electric shaver. lost too many gallons of blood using a blade....
I've played with the thread drift, but I should probably give this back to the serious knife guys. ...bring it on!
Old 13-05-2014, 13:24   #38

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: knife?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Belt??? I seem to remember what those were. Barely. Closest thing I have now to a belt is the UV-degraded elastic on my swim trunks. I never wear those.

What do people who don't have pants or belts use for this all-important, must-have-on-possession-at-all-times-ready-to-deploy, piece of kit?

Mark
A doubled piece of marline on my rigging knife. Been wearing it so many years, I have a minor panic attack when I misplace it. I lanyard hitch it to those handy loops on my pants...is that not what they are for? :what:
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:29   #39

Boat: Shin Fa 458 Custom Cutter but looks like a Liberty 458

Now that i have internet, i can answer the question of what knife was stolen. It was one of the Boye folding knives. Loved it but hate to buy another and have some low life taking it. hurt worse than them taking my wallet.
mestrezat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:58   #40

Quote:
These knife topics remind me of my wife's champagne glasses. She comments on the flare at the rim or the length of the stem and I'd be no less pleased with a dixie cup.

Hey, so what's to look for in a good fork anyway?
You do certainly have a point.

On the other hand, I've been a bit of a knife geek since my days in the Boy Scouts. I couldn't even begin to count the number of knives I have owned over the course of my life. If I ever went out without a pocket knife I think I would feel naked. To each their own, I guess.

Oh, yeah, and to contribute to the actual point of this thread... I have a Spyderco Atlantic Salt that I keep in a pocket, with a lanyard attaching it to my pants (normally a belt loop). I like the fact that it can be opened one-handed and is serrated. When I need a marlinspike I get a proper marlinspike. When I need to loosen an over-tight shackle I use the multi-tool that is also never too far away from hand.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:20   #41

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38, S/V Invictus

I had and tried quite a few things over the years.

Had a Boye knife. Too expensive, I rarely had it out. Also found that I just could not get the blade sharp enough. Marlin spike on it was worthless. Some other expensive ones...which I never took out, because I did not want to lose them.

Had a couple different multi tools. Never found them as useful as a real tool and found them too heavy to carry around in my pocket all the time. Never wore a belt.

So, finally, happily, ended up with an inexpensive Buck Bantam knife. About $20. So I bought a couple. Light enough to clip into a pocket full time. Never worried about losing or breaking it. It has an incredibly sharp blade (420 steel), but not too aggressive a point. Never rusted on me. One hand opening, which is good when working aloft or over the side. Comes in a couple different sizes.

Hope this helps
Old 04-06-2014, 08:04   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I certainly agree that a functional knife is an important tool to have aboard. So, I decided to go look at the brand of knife I've used for about tweny years. When I open it the base of the blade reads,- "Buck 315 USA". I have another knife that my wife gave me. It reads "RR577 China and 440 razor sharp". It has a pretty scrimshaw-like design on the handle. It's on the shelf, but I never use it!
Old 04-06-2014, 08:34   #43
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Everytime I get a really nice knife, I don't want to carry or use it. I want to collect it!
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 14:08   #44

Boat: PSC Orion 27

I have these strapped all over the boat, anywhere a line might need to be cut quickly. Made in US, cut through line like butter. They are stainless but will develop rust after a while. I drill a small hole in the bottom of the sheath to let water out. Don't know if you can still get them at Worst Marine or not, definitely worth the price.

3 1/4 inch NTL knife w/sheath, carded

goat

"Don't cut yourself, dumbass"
My Dad, 1967
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 14:39   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Everytime I get a really nice knife, I don't want to carry or use it. I want to collect it!
That's also why I don't get too nice a knife.

Some of the inexpensive ones work quite well, and you don't have to sweat them too much.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote