Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2016, 15:55   #1

LED spotlight with USB charger

Has anyone seen a handheld LED spotlight that is charged via a USB 12 volt socket. Cigarette sockets for this set up are the norm but my new boat is equipped with USB sockets and I reckon it's the way to go. But can't find a manufacturer that agrees. Any suggestions besides installing a cigarette 12 volt receptacle? Seems old school.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
HKTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 16:03   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: LED spotlight with USB charger

USB sockets do not supply 12 volts, but rather 5 volts.

Jim
Old 04-08-2016, 17:04   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

There are some very powerful headlights for bikes that are usb charged.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 19:36   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

The 12V cigarette lighter outlet for your charging works. USB is 5V and that's a different thing. If you want a true "spot" light with capability to focus -- try to find a 12V halogen spotlight that uses a H1 bulb. The logic is you don't use the spot light for lengthy periods where an LED would be useful. If you buy a halogen, buy the H1 bulb. The folks selling halogens will just say "halogen" but you need to know whether it is H1 or H3. The filament on an H1 goes along the path of the light whereas the H3 is perpendicular to the path. You can focus the H1 into a very fine spot whereas not so much the H3. LEDs, to achieve the brightness are spread across an area--you cannot necessarily focus the beam on the LED light at all. So--general illumination is one thing you can do with LED but a spot light should be something you can focus and that gets you out of LED lighting.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:32   #5

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
The 12V cigarette lighter outlet for your charging works. USB is 5V and that's a different thing. If you want a true "spot" light with capability to focus -- try to find a 12V halogen spotlight that uses a H1 bulb. The logic is you don't use the spot light for lengthy periods where an LED would be useful. If you buy a halogen, buy the H1 bulb. The folks selling halogens will just say "halogen" but you need to know whether it is H1 or H3. The filament on an H1 goes along the path of the light whereas the H3 is perpendicular to the path. You can focus the H1 into a very fine spot whereas not so much the H3. LEDs, to achieve the brightness are spread across an area--you cannot necessarily focus the beam on the LED light at all. So--general illumination is one thing you can do with LED but a spot light should be something you can focus and that gets you out of LED lighting.
Now, those are some useful distinctions! I use an LED "spot" (I think it's a sort of security light) in my engine bay as basically, I just need to see the engine clearly, but it's intrinsically a more spread out light than a halogen. That's why LED "spots" make good deck lights: they illuminate more deck with a softer light.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:15   #6

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

If your boat came with a USB socket it is only good for charging computer related stuff. I cannot see a reason why anybody would build a searchlight to run off a USB circuit. You might ask the builder what they had in mind.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:33   #7

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Yes, there are flashlights (don't know of spots per se) that will charge via USB. Given today's extemely bright LEDs, I don't even carry a spot anymore. The uber bright LEDs are plenty and much more compact.

I have some large Mag Lite LED flashlights that use D Batts. I recharge these using a charger that connects to 12V.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:37   #8

Related note: a wide angle spot with a very bright beam can be almost useless on a sailboat with white decks and sails...so much back scatter you can barely see. A narrower beam reduces that problem.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:45   #9

I have a very good spotlight which will also blink SOS if needed that is LED and charged with a USB. I charge through my cigarette lighter with an adapter. I use an iPad and a iPod for music and navigation. I also have a camping lamp that collapses that is charged by USB that I use occasionally both in the cabin as a nice light and once as a anchor light. A friend of mine in Mexico has been using this lamp for over three years as an anchor light.

I got my spotlight from Westmarine and all my USB attachments from a local Apple store.

In my previous boats I use to have a storage area for all my navigation tools. I no longer have that but now I have to have a storage areas for wires, connections, plugs for all my digital gear. My how times change.
Moreorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:51   #10

Just did quick search on Amazon... bunch of options there.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:54   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Now, those are some useful distinctions! I use an LED "spot" (I think it's a sort of security light) in my engine bay as basically, I just need to see the engine clearly, but it's intrinsically a more spread out light than a halogen. That's why LED "spots" make good deck lights: they illuminate more deck with a softer light.
There are focusable LED. I have one that will focus down to a very narrow, very bright, long distance beam... fits in my pocket.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:58   #12

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Yes indeed they are out there.

Even at reasonable prices.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01AN...XMBK2CS3FXZZV6

I have two corded normal 12v socket spots, that always seem to have corroded connections and spotty performance.

For what it's worth my led Maglight is amazing as a spot light when the batteries are new, and works when I need it. After the new wears off the batteries it functions as a normal flashlight for a very long time used daily, but looses it's long range spot performance. So I keep a fresh set handy. D cells are too costly, however.

Like the idea of a long range led spot, usb rechargable, backup phone/tablet battery. Didn't realize the option was out there.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:22   #13

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

bzelbublive.info | better the devil you know t mart link on the left side has w proof led spot lights free post
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 14:54   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post

I have two corded normal 12v socket spots, that always seem to have corroded connections and spotty performance.

For what it's worth my led Maglight is amazing as a spot light when the batteries are new, and works when I need it. After the new wears off the batteries it functions as a normal flashlight for a very long time used daily, but looses it's long range spot performance. So I keep a fresh set handy. D cells are too costly, however.

Like the idea of a long range led spot, usb rechargable, backup phone/tablet battery. Didn't realize the option was out there.

You realize that is not a spotlight? Rather just a flashlight.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 05-08-2016, 15:11   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post

I've got a few Mag Lite LED 2 D cells (boat, home, truck). Hold up very well in the tropics. I load them with high capacity (10,000 mAh!) NIMH batteries... last a long time at full brightness. Beam can be adjusted a little. Agree makes a good small spot, not crazy bright like some high tech ones, but adequate. Expensive batteries first time, but last a long time. I've had some for years, in fact have yet to have any go bad. Need a good charger though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001A...D+cell+tenergy

Tags
charger