Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2018, 22:27   #1

life raft re-certification costs

just got 2 quotes for the required 3 year re-certification of our Viking 4 man.

both are for $1500.

for a raft we bought new for $2500.

so $1500 every 3 years to keep it current?

what’s everyone else paying for these periodic service re-certs?

thanks,

journeyman
Journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:22   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: life raft re-certification costs

From 2013 ➥ https://www.practical-sailor.com/iss...k_10977-1.html

From 2011 ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ion-60101.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:28   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I continue to be shocked at what you guys pay for liferafts and servicing in the US.

My (£600) Seago 4 man is in for its 3 year service and I expect it to cost between £200 and £250.

https://www.seagoyachting.co.uk/servicedetail/

I know that's no comfort, but $1500 for a service, sheesh ;-(

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:37   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Around here, it costs £100 to £150 plus the consumables, not including hydro testing the cylinder. If you use the full slate of consumables purchased from the service station, the cost can add up fast, but $1500? Seems crazy. You can buy a whole new quality life raft for less than that, around here.

I have TWO rafts, so I'm somewhat sensitive to the costs. To keep costs down, I bring my own consumables, and I work with a friendly service station which is not anal about slightly expired flares or canopy batteries. So I typically spend £300 or so per raft, but every 10 years (or whatever) you will be hit with hydrotesting or replacement of something expensive, like the canopy light battery.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:49   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

It's a bit of a racket. Price depends a lot on the brand and where you do the recert. For cruisers you pretty much get to pick when you decide to recert: 3 year schedule, or let it go another year or so, or just before next big passage. You don't get a lot of choice as to where to do the recert because shipping is not practical.
My Viking 4-man Rescupro costs NZD$1,800 (USD$1,260) in Auckland NZ at the only company certified to handle Viking there.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:18   #6

I had a Viking 4 man UKSL. Had it recertified by Landrigan in Boston May 2013 for $1,380.77.
nickorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:28   #7

Boat: Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 34'

Just had my Viking 4-man repacked and re-certified in Alameda CA. It cost just under $1500. I agree it's a racket and outrageous. Few choices on the US West coast for Viking service, however.
jenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:33   #8

Boat: 39' Whitesell Ketch

The vacuum sealed ones go longer, 5 years the first time. When mine was due for re-certification, I opted to use the money to buy a folding dinghy that stows on deck. That boat doubles as a tender. I still carry the liferaft, and don't worry too much. I realize that this might seem dangerous. But I rarely am even 100 miles offshore. The need for the raft over the dinghy would be in bad weather, cool or cold water, with the big boat sinking quickly. Even then, I expect my uncertified raft will work. The odds are at least 1000/1 of ever needing the raft. I do carry two EPIRBS, often a SPOT Tracker, PFDs, flares etc. Some people have the money to buy the best of everything, I cruise on an old boat with old gear as simply as I can.
WanderingStar39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:50   #9

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

In USA certification only required if commercial.
This subject has been hammered over several threads.
It boils down to need and cost , over want and money available.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:04   #10

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

Well, yes, life raft station's are a rip off for sure, its always the statement, we hafto use our product's, because the coast guard requires it, which is bull **** for a pleasure vessel, and they know it, after watching rafts being serviced in singapore by great guys, who do commercial ships, and allowing me to participate in my raft, i learned what to do, check for corrosion., weight the cylinder, pump up the raft with air, ect., i do my own, the most difficult thing is, repacking, so it fits back in the case.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:25   #11

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

I always self-certified mine by opening it up, inflating it for 24 hrs to make sure it held air, replacing the out of date stuff like flares, meds, water, etc. and re-packing. That's all the commercial recertification places do. You are not required to have a certification unless you are a commercial vessel.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:13   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran

I have an 8 person Viking bought in Miami for about $3000 in 2012. I have had it re-certified every three years in Europe for not more the $750 each time. Looks like i'll be getting rid of it when I return to the states. Those prices are shocking and a ripoff. Sorry to hear this.
Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:07   #13
Marine Service Provider

It's a total racket. Does anyone remember when the Coast Guard made pyrotechnics required equipment n pleasure boats? Before that the 12 gauge ones were less than a dollar a piece and are nothing more that a weak version of a 12 gage shotgun round which I can buy today for 22 cents each. The out-of-control cost of safety gear causes many people to ignore the requirement and the need. Now try to re-battery your EPIRB, might as well throw it away and buy a new one.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 13:10   #14

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft

One somewhat novel solution is to buy a steel boat �� Like ours! Having said that we do have a liferaft and yes, sadly, it needs reinspection if not recertification. This is somewhat complicated by the fact that it is New Zealand made and not all certifiers will take makes they are not familiar with.

We were quoted $1100. But it will take a week and involves two trips across the state.

Jim
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 13:27   #15
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

One could argue that if the difference between recertifying and replacing is just $1000....put out some free ads and try to sell it, as is, for $1000. And be done with it. Just get that thousand dollars back, if someone will pay you that, and buy a new one.

What the US market is, is what it is. We could always ask something like BoatUS to start a petition for Congress to regulate things...but be careful what you wish for.

At least the good news if that you have a Viking, which is a damn good raft.

If you have a recreational (i.e. not mandatory carriage) vessel, then of course you could always repack it yourself. A clean floor, a clean tarp, inflate it with some clean dry gas (nitrogen or CO2 from a welding supply, they rent the full tank out), do your own check for leaks or deterioration, weigh the gas bottle to make sure it hasn't leaked, eyeball things closely...this is actually an easier job than putting on makeup and an evening gown and having your hair done up. (There must be some analogy for guys that's similar, I just couldn't think of one at hand.)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
certification