Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2009, 10:11   #1

Boat: Lagoon 37 (TPI)
Link 2000 Replacement Recommendations

Our Link 2000 died 13 months after installation and we are looking for a battery monitoring system replacement. I am not going to be buying any more Xantrex products after this... Why? We have used a Link 2000 on our boats for several years. The Link got zapped by lightening and it was replaced by the insurance company early last year. On our return from the Bahamas, our Link started showing a negative discharge on one of the banks even though testing showed positive current flow during charging. I called up technical support when we got back to the Keys and after a round of in situ testing, Xantrex agreed that the Link was defective. The tech support person mentioned that they have been having trouble with the Link 2000's and may be discontinued. When it came time to replace the unit, I mentioned that we installed it 13 months ago (it's a 12 month warranty) and things changed. Sorry, too bad, the warranty is expired. To say the least I wasn't happy. A $600 piece of eletronics has a defect and it's one month out of warranty so too bad. [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/johnsona/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]

This is so different than our previous experience. When we got struck by lightening several years ago Xantrex replaced the Link 2000 for $75...no questions asked. Very good customer service then...very poor customer service now. It's interesting to note that West Marine no longer carries the Link 2000...mmmm

Anyway, I am looking at the Blue Sea Systems VSM 422 Vessel Systems Monitor and wondering if anyone has any recommendations about this or alternatives we should look at. The Blue Sea Systems monitor has a 3 year warranty. Thanks in advance for your recommendations...
SVKokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 10:32   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I'm surprised and sad to hear that about their service. The last time I called them their customer service was excellent.

You may want to look at Vector.

Vector - The Freedom of Power

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 10:37   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
I'm having a problem with my 2000 too. Talked to Zantrex, they no longer make them but will send you a replacement for $200. No need to send the old unit back. They keep on telling me how reliable these units are and mine must be wired wrong!! It was ok for three years and all of a sudden the wiring is wrong?
Old 07-11-2009, 11:08   #4

Rick,

We had the same problem except that it worked fine for about a year. We I first called them, they said they would replace it for $200. I was too upset to agree to the $200 on something one month out of warranty if it really had a defect. I asked why I should be spending $200 on something with a potential defect and was met with silence. When we just called last week, the price had gone up to $400.

Alan
Old 07-11-2009, 11:13   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVKokopelli View Post
Rick,

We had the same problem except that it worked fine for about a year. We I first called them, they said they would replace it for $200. I was too upset to agree to the $200 on something one month out of warranty. When we just called last week, the price had gone up to $400.

Alan
That's not good! I'm waiting till I go down to my boat in FL later this month to talk to them again. I'd put in another system except I don't know how and there sure seems to be a lot of wires going to that shunt. I had the unit installed by the dealer so really don't know where all the wires go.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:17   #6

The wires leading to the shunt are pretty easy to figure out if you take the Link installation instruction and mark which wire coming from the shunt to the Link is which. I traced all mine because the dealer installed the sense wires to battery bank 2 backwards. I'm hoping anything new I use will have the same shunt resistance as the Link so I don't have to replace the shunts. They are a pain to get to on our boat.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:23   #7

I'd like to get something that works. I used mine as an expensive volt meter last season.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:09   #8

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
This is not good to hear...I just installed a Link Pro...I believe this is their replacement for the link 2000.

It seems customer service is a problem for many companies anymore...but it also seems to depend on whom you get on the other end of the line.

I ran a thread last year about Lewmar's apparent poor customer service and was pleasantly surprised by the attention I generated by it after directing company management to that thread.

I received mulibal personal responses and even a letter from the Vice President of Lewmar insuring me they would stand behind their product ..in short I have a very positive relationship with them so far.

I think in this day and age of finger-tip information gathering and our strength as a common voice being billed as ' The worlds largest sailing community' rather we are or not....that any company CEO worth his pay check will sit up and pay attention if it is indeed brought to his.

In this regard it is good to open discussion with this intention in mind and if I could offer any worthwhile suggestion at all it would be for you to do as I did and challenge that higher level of management by directing them directly to this site and more importantly to this thread. I would also ask the Mods to rename the thread to garnish a higher public profile in the search engines...Such as " Zantrex/Link Pro 2000...Poor Customer service" or something like that.

Keeping the original post factual and relatively free of emotional content like you have done and being truthful in your claims is important as well..We are an important voice to them..don't diminish that by over ranting and bashing their products but by as you have here letting them know you have lost confidence it there company's service to a point of deciding to look at other options unless that attitude changes. (They need a reason to change)..if they have lost you already there is no incentive to change.

As others start chiming in with like complaints the case is built and public opinion sways other purchases away from them and the effect has the outcome we need to see that change.

Long live the Internet!

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:32   #9

Stillraining...thanks for the words of advice. I have spoken to Xantrex several times to no avail.

I looked at the LinkPro but it doesn't control the inverter. Fortunately, the inverter is in a location I can get to the front panel so the only thing I really lose is convenience and the ability to equalize. The batteries are new so hopefully by the time I get to the point I need to equalize, I can find someone with a control panel. If I am going to lose inverter control, for about the same price I can get the Blue Sea monitor and it does a lot more than the Link. My wife has been asking for water tank level monitors so maybe I can bring down 2 birds with one stone.
Old 07-11-2009, 13:19   #10

Yes, the 2000 controls my inverter/charger. That's the difficulty, I can't run them without it. That's all I can use it for at present, that and as a volt meter.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:45   #11

Boat: Jeanneau, SO 42.1 "Far Niente"
Scary conversation here! I have a Link 2000 and Freedom 2000 charger/inverter. The Freedom 2000 has failed 3 times now with repair bills running about $600 a pop. I doubt I'll pay to have it fixed again after reading this thread.

Reminds me of the Fischer Panda discussions. I have one of those as well!
Old 08-11-2009, 18:38   #12
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
My Freedom 30 was fried but my link2000 is still like new. Anyone stopping by can pick it up for a friendly price ;-)

If you replace: have a look at the Victron BMV-600. It's all you ever wanted and at a fair price.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 18:56   #13

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
FWIW...I was hearing good things about them 2 years ago that's why I bought....I now would not have ...I will keep my fingers crossed the link pro is built better then the 2000 so I don't have to find out first hand that service has slipped to sud-par levels.

I could have easily went Blue Sea as that is the panel I went with....Time will tell.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 07:29   #14

Re: Link 2000 Replacement Recommendations

Saw an old post that you had a Xantrex Link 2000 unit around. Any chance it is still available?
Golconda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 12:57   #15

Boat: Tartan T4400
Re: Link 2000 Replacement Recommendations

S/V Jedi Does the Victron BMV 600 control the Freedom inverter/Charger?

Mike
Gudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote