Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2022, 09:08   #1

Little Wonder 200 - refurb/restart

The boat came with a Little Wonder 200, 12 volt watermaker. By Village Marine Tec. It has one long membrane tube.

It has not been run for 10 to 12 years.

What should I check prior to running it? I want to avoid damaging any part of it.

I assume it will need a new membrane, maybe some new tubes/hoses if they can't be cleaned. Perhaps new pump impellers, if they didn't survive.

Suggestions welcome.
Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 12:43   #2

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i
Re: Little Wonder 200 - refurb/restart

After 10+ years I'd assume the membrane needs replaced, though I've heard stories of amazing recoveries.

I'm no water maker expert though I've owned a couple. I'd start by testing the raw water boost pump if there is one, and change the oil in the high pressure pump as well as the pre filter element. Then before replacing the old membrane see if the unit will start up and if the high pressure pump will develop adequate pressure at the spec flow rate. If so then you can fiddle with trying to clean the membrane if you want or just get a new one.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 12:57   #3

Re: Little Wonder 200 - refurb/restart

I dont know the details of that particular unit but in general:
Check to see that the pump isn't frozen up and rotates before attempting to start it. If it was left with seawater in it, it may be frozen or too corroded to use inside the cylinders. ... assuming it is a piston pump.
If the pump is OK etc and you get it turning under power, then I would just buy a new membrane. They aren't too expensive (or didn't used to be anyway).

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Refurb