Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 13:02   #16
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Maretron DSM-250 display review

I programmed a full size graph of apparent wind with a X-axis of 24h and an auto-ranging Y-axis Count your dollars cause you'll like it

I believe my Furuno RD33's can do this one too.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 06:14   #17

Boat: C&C 34

That display looks great!!! Looks like you have some pretty fresh breath too...
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 16:32   #18

Are you still happy with the DSM-250?
Old 15-03-2014, 18:18   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie91 View Post
Are you still happy with the DSM-250?
Hi Opie,

The display works as good as ever but the back of the plastic housing cracked. When I held it, it crumbled more in my fingers. The display is located inside so protected from the elements and UV.

I'll send an email to Maretron if they can send me a new housing. Thinking of a 3D printer: they could put the housing design on-line and you print a new one. May have to get one of those
Old 18-03-2014, 19:01   #20

Thanks for the update. Good luck with the housing. Please let us know how the support the product.
Old 21-03-2014, 18:03   #21

Boat: Nordhavn 47
Same thing happened to me and Maretron replaced it for free but I had to send the device to them. They wouldn't send parts even though it was an easy fix. They did check everything out so I am not unhappy. It would have been more convenient to just replace the back even if I had to pay for the part.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 16:42   #22

Anyone using the DSM-250 anchor alarm? If so how do you like it?
Old 17-01-2015, 06:45   #23
Formerly: Capt Wraun

Boat: Corbin39 CC Cutter Rig

I've recently installed the weather sensor and triducer. I have run into problems (because of the dealer) but Maretron's support absolutely sucks from the bottom of the bowl. I refuse to ever buy another Maretron product again.
My triducer thru-hull has broken, the depth reading is erratic and wrong, no speed, no temp and no help. The month-long string of emails regarding the dealer's assurance that the N2KView was a free download ended in a stalemate. In other words, zero customer satisfaction here.
Very unfortunate too because I am really impressed with the weather sensor. If only I could see ALL the data it gives. Rather, I have paid dearly for a sensor from which I will only get wind speed and true and apparent wind.
I'm unimpressed with Maretron
Old 17-01-2015, 07:35   #24

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Wow, that is the complete opposite of our experience with Maretron. In fact, our experiences with both their technical support and customer service support is among the top in the marine industry.

I'm not sure what your problem is with N2KView? It is a free download for the software, but you need a paid license to activate it - this is the problem? If so, the dealer should have understood that. N2KAnalyzer is free, and shows all of data your sensor produce in a virtual DSM-250 display. Also, all of the data are available for any other instruments to use and display (chartplotter, etc).

The triducer is an Airmar product, and they have had problems with it. Since it is OEM'd by Maretron (and others), it is Maretron's responsibility for it.

Again, our experience with Maretron support has exceeded our expectations. I'm sorry yours was different. Is the major problem with your dealer, or with Maretron itself?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 08:10   #25

Boat: Currently boatless

My experience with Maretron customer service was OK, not great. They agreed to exchange a defective product without any hassle, but it took them a long time to send a replacement.
Old 18-01-2015, 02:08   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We also had the DSM250 with plastic housing falling apart and service was quick and friendly. Got a brand new housing installed, new firmware but all my custom screens intact. And, after 3 years so well out of warranty, there was no charge.

If you hate this support, I wonder how you would rate Raymarine support... last time I called them and actually got a person on the line, they told me that they had discontinued the GPS unit I have because there were too many problems with it and I would have to buy the new model to fix the problems.

Old 18-01-2015, 04:07   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
We also had the DSM250 with plastic housing falling apart and service was quick and friendly. Got a brand new housing installed, new firmware but all my custom screens intact. And, after 3 years so well out of warranty, there was no charge.

If you hate this support, I wonder how you would rate Raymarine support... last time I called them and actually got a person on the line, they told me that they had discontinued the GPS unit I have because there were too many problems with it and I would have to buy the new model to fix the problems.
Nice to see you Nick -- you've been missed.

How did you program that 24 hour wind graph? I wonder if it would be possible to do a split screen with 24 hours wind speed on one part and 24 hours wind direction on the other?

Like others, I've had problems with my DSM-250, but found support to be superb. They gave me a whole new unit, and showed personal concern about getting the unit to me in time and in a place convenient to me. Top marks.

I have still not sorted everything out. It will not accept time from the network. Will not show true wind direction unless the boat has been moving. Etc. etc. Compatibility between N2K equipment of different makers has not yet reached perfection. But the DSM 250 still displays a lot of information you can't display on other devices, so I still think it's essential equipment.

Interestingly, the main display I wanted from the DSM 250 -- the weather screen, which doesn't work very well, is now much less important to me, since the last update of the B&G Triton firmware:

Click image for larger version

Name:	wind.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	309.7 KB
ID:	95639

A really nice display of meteorological wind (since ground wind and true wind is the same at anchor or in port).
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 04:20   #28

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I can't tell anything from their online documentation! Do they have a weather screen? Or enough weather you can put together into a custom screen? Ground wind direction? Barometer? Inside/outside temperature? Looks like a nice unit but can't find out anything about functionality.
I found the DSM too expensive for my tastes, though I wanted the rest of the stuff, so I went with their N2K View and that works very well. Also allows me to put the data on my 24" monitors.
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reviews