Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2022, 08:35   #16

Re: ‘Marine’ rip-offs…..much hate here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Umm, L-E, the Columbia 50 is an antique, now. And how did you know about the genset and AC? It IS a boat with super headroom.
The OP told us about their AC and genny. And antique or not, a 50 ft boat generally comes with a certain level of obligations and costs.

Look, yes I was a bit snotty to make that observation in the way I did, so apologies to the OP for that. And I'm sure she's a wonderful cruising boat. BUT it's no secret that the recreational sailboat market is a particularly irrational one. I've been both a service provider and a client; I can see both sides.

The OP is not wrong about pointing out the price discrepancies between the different channels. And they have done us all a service by pointing out alternatives. (Except of course for the local marine stores who, besides stocking, often provide advice, exchanges and after-sales service.) Getting all worked up about the price difference, and apparently not understanding why there continue to be such price differences... that seems a bit overwrought.

We took my Mom out for dinner on Mothers Day, to an upscale steak chain, because that's what she wanted. Dinner for 3 with wine and tip was about US$220. We could have provided essentially the same dinner in our backyard for maybe $US70. And you know that all we have to show for that $220 dinner is memories and a line-entry in my upcoming VISA bill.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 09:11   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
As an electrical wholesaler [WESCO-Westinghouse], our standard minimum turnover [actually 'ITR'] was 3 turns/year, for inventoried items - fewer turns required a special order.

Inventory Turnover Ratio (ITR) = Cost of goods sold (COGS) ÷ average inventory value
So, if your COGS, for the year, totaled $5,000,000, and your inventory was worth $1,666,000, your ITR would be 3.
So, the ITR depends upon the cost [including storage] of an item, and how often you sell it.
Inventory turnover is a good thing but sometimes that old, obscure part it the best advertising.

My family had a commercial restaurant repair business in a large and very competitive market. He regularly got grief from his accountant about keeping old parts on the shelf that had not turned in years. My dad knew (from years of experience) that when someone came in and bought that part after being disappointed by their current supplier there was a high probability that he was going to be their first choice the next time they needed a part for anything.
Be Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 09:32   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
Inventory turnover is a good thing but sometimes that old, obscure part it the best advertising...
Indeed!
Which was another cost of business, justifying [requiring] even higher mark-up.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2022, 22:09   #19
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
In a chandlery, you're basically paying for them to keep 3 or 4 of such niche things around, often for months, for the few boaters who either don't do research, or need/want things yesterday. As opposed to ... Amazon or similar, where turnover is rapid and overhead per item is orders of magnitude smaller.

But, does no-one see any irony in having a 50 ft boat, with a genny and air-conditioning, and complaining about saving $300?
You are correct .... the same ones bitching about a small markup (that is justified in some ways) will purchase expensive useless things on the other hand!
paulo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2022, 18:14   #20

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

This is the case not just in boats, but almost everywhere. A Yanmar starter is $1000. Hitachi makes them for them. You can buy the same Hitachi for around $300. Bosch makes all sorts of automotive electrical gear, as manufacturers don't make their own. They just paint 'em and put their label on them, and charge more. BTW, soft start kits are available for less than $100...
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2022, 19:30   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
In a chandlery, you're basically paying for them to keep 3 or 4 of such niche things around, often for months, for the few boaters who either don't do research, or need/want things yesterday. As opposed to ... Amazon or similar, where turnover is rapid and overhead per item is orders of magnitude smaller.

But, does no-one see any irony in having a 50 ft boat, with a genny and air-conditioning, and complaining about saving $300?
Maybe they have a big boat because they are not easily taken advantage of.

Tags
marine