Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 12:36   #1

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel
MarineDeck 2000 Cork Decks

Will revitalize old thread that did not go to far.

Does anybody have any experience with this product. Installation, wear and tear, pros and cons?

Thanks.
Old 11-08-2013, 13:36   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: MarineDeck 2000 Cork Decks

Some of the Tartan 34s came with cork cabin sole surface. Very good non skid and comfortable on bare feet but soaked up dirt. They needed to be sealed/varnished or things got muddy when they got wet.

The cork flooring material I'm familiar with is a household/commercial flooring material not really intended for exterior use. Are you referring to some type of cork exterior decking. The traditional applied non skid decking material is Treadmaster. Looks kind of corkish but think it's a rubber product.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 13:42   #3

This is a Dutch product made by Stazo with real cork.

My thought too was how long can remain clean and not pick up dirt or stain. And if exterior, non skid decking, then do not want to varnish. The comfort end of product I like. Also no doubt insect resistant. But concerned with durability as is not cheap.
Old 11-08-2013, 13:54   #4

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

My boatbuilder has fitted it to several boats (not mine). I think it is fabulous and wished I had fitted it. One boat is 5 years old and has worked very hard, constantly doing offshore races with 8 or 9 crew on board and it still looks really good. Last Christmas the boat came for a total tidy up including all the interior teak that had been in contact with buckles and harness clips and the exterior cork decks needed no attention and in my opinion still looked fabulous. They are cool to walk on and very grippy when wet.
Old 11-08-2013, 14:10   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbatical II View Post
My boatbuilder has fitted it to several boats (not mine). I think it is fabulous and wished I had fitted it. One boat is 5 years old and has worked very hard, constantly doing offshore races with 8 or 9 crew on board and it still looks really good. Last Christmas the boat came for a total tidy up including all the interior teak that had been in contact with buckles and harness clips and the exterior cork decks needed no attention and in my opinion still looked fabulous. They are cool to walk on and very grippy when wet.
Thanks Greg! That is what I wanted to hear. Seems easier to maintain than teak , gentler on feet, less a pain to install, and plus I can send templates of areas I want covered to factory and they will pre-cut layout for quick install. Now just need blinders on to see final price and shipping costs.
Old 16-11-2013, 10:32   #6

I installed this product on the cockpit and seats of my sailboat 13 years ago and it is , without a doubt, the best decking material available. It needs no maintenance or coating and grays out just like teak.

The boat has been raced hard with everything from winch handles to red wine hitting the deck with no adverse effects. It cleans up with just soap and water, has excellent non-skid in the wet, and does not get brutally hot in the sun as does "plastic" teak.

Not cheap (about the same as teak) but a much better product as far as is of installation and maintenance.
jejuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 08:21   #7

Boat: Leopard 40

Where can I buy it? I'm in St. Maarten and not returning to the States. We do have a very reasonable shipper for stuff from the States. The only place I've seen it for sale is Bargain Boat Parts, but they mention planks no the rolls I saw on a Youtube video.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, marine