Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2010, 01:46   #1

Boat: Van de Stadt "YM Seahorse" 10m
Marlec Rutland 913 Wind Charger *Warning*

Buy a Marlec Rutland 913 wind charger at your own risk. My own experience of this product has been a nightmare.

The Rutland has a terrible inherent problem of the permanent magnets being embedded in the ABS plastic hubs which over time (a very short time in my case) will warp and lift from the hubs rendering the unit useless. Continued running will mean the stator will rub on them rendering it useless.

Able Solar in Auckland are their agents, and after considerable pressing (up to 20 tonne) the hubs appeared to have the magnets back in flush with the surrounding plastic hubs. They said they would see if the unit could be re-assembled. A few days later I got a bill for $50 and the hubs were still no good.

Oh . . . but I could always buy a new set for $660(NZ), or buy another one at over $1600! They have the parts sent to them and I still have my $50.

Needless to say, I now have a new turbine that doesn't use that kind of design and is running happily at the stern of our little ship producing up to 300 watts. Oh, unlike the Rutland which is British-built, the new one is Chinese and works great!
crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 20:14   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Chinese windcharger?

Could you tell us more about the Chinese windcharger that you have?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 22:58   #3

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Ive never heard of this happening before. Rutlands usually have a good reputation, although the perormance is a bit middle of the road.

Tags
rutland