Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2021, 05:51   #16

Boat: Gulfstar Sailmaster 47
Re: McMaster-Carr Marine Products - Any Good?

Go ahead and try coal tar epoxy. It’s always better to learn from experience. Please come back and give us a report.
DirtRdEarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 14:24   #17

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

The bottom paint is Sea Hawk -- if you click the item then in the description click "Product Detail" then click the "SDS" (safety data sheets) it will tell you what the product is.

I have used McMaster products for 25 years and in general they are careful to only choose quality products. Their prices are high but they almost always have it in stock and ship it that day.
Old 11-01-2021, 15:48   #18

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaseas View Post
They won't ship anything outside the US any more from my experience. I have a dive shop in the Caribbean and they won't ship direct overseas or even to a US based exporter. Something about paper work etc. etc... So have to get order shipped to a US address and then reshipped onto a freight forwarder or shipping company.

I have found M-C to be one of the best sources for quality and selection of stainless. Very good and accurate grading. If you order 316L you will get 316L. Cheap they are not.

We order from McMaster cart almost daily- and we’re in Halifax,NS. So- they do ship to Canada - but only to commercial accounts.

Their selection and speed of shipping is incredible - we can typically order at 4pm our time and have it arrive before noon the next day. Customs and all.

...but- be prepared to pay.

Sometimes, it’s worth it.

Can’t comment on any ‘McMaster marine products’; as I don’t think they produce any - as others have noted they are a catalogue dealer, and resell other products. I don’t think they manufacture themselves - but their catalogue selection is incredible.

Ymmv...
NSboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 16:03   #19

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

If you need details on any McMaster product that are not shown on their website, just call them up. They will tell you the manufacturer, etc. Great company to deal with, they are the gold standard for customer service.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 17:15   #20

Great product and company to deal with. I recently ordered some ABS and HDPE material to make shims for a Daysailer centerboard trunk. The auto generated ship cost was excessive and customer service agreed and adjusted to correct price in a friendly manner.
searoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 18:04   #21

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
Totalboat is (I think) the house brand of Jamestown Distributors. They have a good reputation and I use them frequently. I have used their epoxy filler products but not their other Totalboat epoxies. I am currently rebuilding a 1965 Town Class with their products and MAS and West epoxy.
They are in Connecticut.

TotalBoat is indeed the Jamestown Distributors house brand.

I used to use it until they did an across-the-board price increase and now it is substantially the same price as WEST System, Interlux, etc. and so I just use these well-known brands where there are many more retail sources.

Grainger is a major McMaster-Carr competitor, not quite the same, but a shared focus on MRO and no shortage of products for marine use. They do require a commercial account. I use them all the time. I'd rather pay a few bucks extra for light bulbs or bolts than spend half the morning at the home center and only getting 90% of what I need.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:43   #22

Boat: Caroff 36

Thanks everyone for the comments on M-C and their marine products. I don't have a company so that's a problem. I should create one...

However... I've finally got word back from Dulux Canada that they can sell me the Amercoat products so I think I'll go with them. I'm going to order Amerlock Sealer (replaces preprimer 167), Amercoat 235 primer, Prep 788 and PPG thinner 91-82. Much less expensive than going with Interlux products and these products are specifically formulated to protect steel.

Progress!
raahell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 06:46   #23
Marine Service Provider

Can't believe none of you mentioned how easy it is to get sidetracked while reading the catalog....
They are also a fantastic source of G10 plate and tube.
We have built many many boats using MC...
Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 19:45   #24

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Being a Toolmaker and business owner, I have used McCarr for over 40 years. As mentioned, I buy bulk Stainless fasteners from them when doing boat work.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 08:58   #25

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raahell View Post
Thanks everyone for the comments on M-C and their marine products. I don't have a company so that's a problem. I should create one...

However... I've finally got word back from Dulux Canada that they can sell me the Amercoat products so I think I'll go with them. I'm going to order Amerlock Sealer (replaces preprimer 167), Amercoat 235 primer, Prep 788 and PPG thinner 91-82. Much less expensive than going with Interlux products and these products are specifically formulated to protect steel.

Progress!

Ameron products are awesome for steel boats. If you do the prep meticulously and apply as directed you won’t be disappointed.
NSboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 06:52   #26

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34

I just want to add that BoltDepot.com is an excellent source of reasonably priced quality marine fasteners, including hard-to-find silicon bronze if needed. Their website is very easy to navigate. And they ship usually the same day and don’t charge ridiculous amount for shipping. Their prices are typically about half of what I’d pay locally. They have no minimum order. You could order one item if you want to. And twice I’ve called them about something really oddball I was looking for. They were delighted by the challenge, and helpful. I have no connection to them other than a very satisfied customer.
BoatBumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 08:23   #27

Boat: Caroff 36

Sadly, BoltDepot doesn't ship outside USA.
raahell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 08:32   #28

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

If your looking for steel coatings like coal tar, I would check out SV Seeker on youtube. He tested quite a few different paint systems and he is also frugal. There are 36 videos in his "paint" playlist, link below

zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 09:39   #29

Boat: Custom Steel Cutter, 40Ft

If you have access to purchasing industrial products, you may want to look at Tnemec. I've had their coatings on my steelie for 15years and am very pleased. The only downside is shelf life, but I think that's always an issue.

Cheers!
keelbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 11:34   #30

Amen to all of the above M.C. testimonials. Used them for 25 years (not marine but University research materials). Their yellow catalog used to be over 1,000 pages and I would tell my students to close their eyes, open the catalog and point to whatever. I would call M.C. and they ALWAYS said, "Yes, we have that in stock and can have it to you the next day". Not cheap, but hey, if you need it ASAP.....
nybor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, mast