Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2021, 12:00   #31

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: McMaster-Carr Marine Products - Any Good?

For what it's worth, I haven't used any of the MC products you're asking about, but I have used their Urethane Casting Compound #8644K18 instead of Spartite, to seal the space between the mast and the partners. It's about a third of the price, and has a Shore A hardness of 94, which is comprable to Spartites Shore D hardness of 55-60. Been 2 1/2 years and problem free...FYI
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 13:57   #32

Boat: CT47 Ketch

Like anything else that you order off the internet, you have to do your own research.

But per handling and shipping time, they are excellent. In Southern CA, they have a giant warehouse. I used to order in the evening, take delivery mid morning the next day! How did they even do that!

Once you are a known customer, they seem to ship independent of the accounts receivable department. I once found out that I owed them a couple of bucks because a credit card had expired. They never even complained about it. I did have to pay up with my next order...

So, fast and accurate, not cheap and a big outfit not worried too much about a nickel here or there...
dbraymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 15:20   #33

Boat: Columbia 36

Mc Master Carr's specialty is supplying the maintenance departments of large companies. It doesn't make sense to have a $30-$40 and hour tech spend time shopping for parts. Anything he needs, MC probably has it and they'll send it right out. Cheaper in the long run even if their prices are higher than buying direct, and the company only needs to deal with one vendor. It's how large companies work. But for us they are a good place to start especially if you're not sure what you need. Then look to get it direct if you have the time to look. Re: Total Boat, it's some of the best stuff out there but I'm sure it's cheaper from totalboat.com or Jamestown. MC's angle is they'll get to a tech who needs it but doesn't know where it comes from.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 18:42   #34

Boat: Roberts Offshore 44 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raahell View Post
Thanks everyone for the comments on M-C and their marine products. I don't have a company so that's a problem. I should create one...

However... I've finally got word back from Dulux Canada that they can sell me the Amercoat products so I think I'll go with them. I'm going to order Amerlock Sealer (replaces preprimer 167), Amercoat 235 primer, Prep 788 and PPG thinner 91-82. Much less expensive than going with Interlux products and these products are specifically formulated to protect steel.

Progress!

Staying with one brand like PPG/Ameron will make your life a lot easier. Their professional chemists know compatibility between different products, intervals between coats, etc. Between different brands it is just trial and error.

Ameron coal tar epoxy is an excellent product. Just read up on the precautions if you ever need to grind it off- somewhat dangerous. It can be applied in thick coats by airless spray, perfect for inside a steel hull. I have bilge coatings perfectly intact after 30 years, no effect of oil and fuel exposure.

https://www.ppgpmc.com/products/AMERCOAT-78-HB
svloki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, mast