Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2017, 21:16   #31

Boat: 1973 Gulfstar 43 trawler, 1979 Endeavour 37 A plan
Re: Memory Foam...How much ?

The Dunlop latex mattress was around $600 from foam factory and the froli system was around $300. I will not cheap out ever again when it comes out bed. Latex all the way.
Fair winds
John
Boatingmadeez.com
GoneIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 08:03   #32

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Having all new interior cushions made with 1.5-2" memory foam on top of foam base for final height of 5-6" depending upon location (eg vee-berth, pilot berth & 1/4 berth = 6, main salon cushions =5"). Will be interesting to see if new are warmer to slp on than old cushions. But cost for 7 cushions with new foam (including memory), new sunbrella is $2723 here in CT. Company in Westbrook do excellent work and are very competitive. I made new cushions for previous boat but at this price I went with the pros. When describing cushions as too warm are folks putting sheets on? which we do routinely.
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 08:42   #33

Tried the Froli system under the factory vee-berth cushions. It worked well and eliminated the pressure points caused by the thin foam.

However, the Froli springs raise the cushions three inches. This causes them to separate several inches along the seam between them. This may not bother some, but it did bother me. Using a 2" foam pad from Walmart over the cushions helped reduce the problem. But it did not eliminate it as the pad would fall into the crack between the cushions.

The solution for me was to cut a memory foam mattress to size and lay over the factory cushions. I selected the gel foam "cool" material as I sleep hot.

The added height of the mattress reduces the headroom at the "pointy" end of the vee-berth. A sofa-sleeper replacement mattress is only 4-1/2" thick. Ordered the Classic Brands Cool Gel Memory Foam Sofa Mattress on Amazon in queen size for $150 including shipping. It's only 72" long so the length doesn't require cutting. Works great and sleeps cool.

It does make getting into the vee berth more of a challenge due to the additional height, but a folding stool solves that.
CTexJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 09:56   #34

Boat: Tartan 37

We bought a California king 10 inch memory foam mattress, with cool gel off Amazon for some crazy low price. We cut it to fit the v- berth and made a cover. We use to have a 2" & 3" topper, different setups before.

The pros
Cost under $230
USA made foam
Sleep like a baby
Made of several glued layers.
Going to try to pull one layer off, get it to 8".
Nothing slides or moves on it.
Not seeing any moisture under.
Very snugly, you don't roll at anchor.
No seams, or gaps.
Doesn't seem to hot, currently in Bahamas.

Cons
It's one piece and a beast to get under to storage.
Much higher, needed a step stool to get up.
Pretty heavy.
Hard to get in an out, the foam sucks you in.
Wonder how to get in out of the boat.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 13:35   #35

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

About 5 years ago I placed a 4" 'egg crate" style topper over my V birth. I was satisfied and just replaced it with a similar product from Target about $100. One side is flat and the upper 2" is cone shapes. The bed does not get hot. I cut a king to fit with a 1' x 2' piece glued on to fill one corner because my 96" x 84" is bigger tan any standard bedding size. Foam spray glue from Amazon worked well to hold the pieces together. I also placed a woven cloth topper over the foam with mattress suspenders to hold the cloth and bottom sheet in place.
The set up works well for me even though I have to lift the mattress to get at my water tank every 10 days or so.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 13:22   #36

Boat: Byliner 3258

I just posted on the subject you are asking about. the title is To sleep or not to sleep. Good luck on your perfect mattress.eace
Hunky Dory is offline   Reply With Quote