Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2011, 11:50   #1

Boat: Taswell 49
MOB Equipment: MOM or the Pole?

Looking at equiping the boat with MOB gear and am trying to decide between spending all the $$ for the MOM kit here : Switlik MOM 8 Man Overboard Module

And needing to get it recertified how ever often they recommend doing that. Versus the traditional pole with horseshoe ring and strobe kit.

Forespar

I like compact idea behind the MOM but it is a lot more expensive and doesnt really seem significantly different. Plus it will require more maintennance than the pole/strobe/horseshoe set up.

My boat came from the PO with a MOM but it was 6 years over due for recertification. We decided to pull the pin and try it out last summer. The entire kit was sun rotted and basically blew out into a cloud of strings. Im not slighting the kit, it was way past due for service, but looking at what I was left with has forced me to replace the whole set up.
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 12:12   #2

Boat: J40 #33 since 1987
Re: MOB equipment: MOM or the pole?

I like the MOM 8A because of its compactness and it is not nearly as intrusive as the pole and equipment strung out. I just replaced mine after 16 years-best price I found was at WestPac MOM-8A by Switlik | Westpac . Current service interval is 2 yrs if you need it certified for racing; otherwise I have been doing 3 yrs along with my liferaft (Winslow, not shrink wrapped but valise below decks). Don't know how yours got sun rotted inside the case; my case was broken in an accident. ???
sded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 12:41   #3

Boat: Taswell 49

I have a Ketch rig with center cockpit so there is not really any space issues on my boat for this kit. The old MOM I had we in a white plastic case that I suspect was letting enough UV through to trash the unit.
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 13:18   #4

Boat: J40 #33 since 1987

Then only a couple of things to worry about with conventional rig. It is fully exposed to the sun, so at least line will need to be replaced fairly frequently. And on mine, the pole was fairly noisy in the wind when I had it stowed against the backstay. Usually takes a little longer to deploy than a MOM, but nothing critical as long as you stay out of the way.
sded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 11:40   #5
Marine Service Provider

The early MOM modules had problems with UV. The solution was installing a "UV shield" inside the white container. This has really helped extend the life of these units.

The UV shield is the black fabric device inside the MOM container
liferaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 14:08   #6

Boat: Bristol 47.7
Re: MOB Equipment: MOM or the Pole?

Are these UV shields available though Switlik or is this an add-on that you've come up with on your own? Also, if you know, what is the cost of the re-certification for the MOM units?

Thanks.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 14:31   #7
Marine Service Provider

UV shields are made by Switlik and need to be installed when the unit is serviced. The basic cost of servicing is $130.00 and as of today, June 7th is valid for 2 years (yesterday it was only a one year certificate). Needless to say parts and repairs are in addition to the $130.00.
liferaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 14:37   #8

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Thanks Rollie. Now that the service interval is two years (with UV shield installed), maybe I'll service mine vs. just replacing it with a pole. Also presents a good opportunity to pull the pin and see how it actually deploys.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 14:53   #9

Boat: Seafarer36c

No one seems to mention these things cost $800. Then you need to spend $130 every 2 years? Wow! To top that off, they look a little cheesy up close. I'm not sure what a person ovb is worth but I could think of a better ways spend safety $$.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equipment, mob