Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2021, 14:35   #16

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36
Re: Mounting Flexible Solar to the Bimini - adhesive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon King View Post
Needing some sage advice on how to mount the solar panels on the large Bimini without having to sew them in with canvass and velcro. I was thinking about sandwich a bayonet anchor between a patch and the bimini and glue it down with industrial E6000. Am I being foolish and too cheap?
Hh-66.
That’s all there is to say.
Old 02-03-2021, 15:05   #17

I’ve heard these work well. https://www.sailrite.com/Stayput-Can...Fastener-Black

My canvas guy says you can carefully push an awl between the threads of Sunbrella cloth for inserting fasteners. He has pictures of small bolts with larger nylon fender washers safely securing flexible panels.
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 15:44   #18

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrcooler View Post
I’ve heard these work well. https://www.sailrite.com/Stayput-Can...Fastener-Black

My canvas guy says you can carefully push an awl between the threads of Sunbrella cloth for inserting fasteners. He has pictures of small bolts with larger nylon fender washers safely securing flexible panels.

Depends on the size of the hole.

I prefer a spin cutter for these larger fasteners.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 15:54   #19

Boat: Seaward 26RK

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.g.evans View Post
When I researched solar panels many years ago I found that the amorphous flexible panels had half the output of rigid panels. You don't want the boom to shade any panels or the output will be zero. My solution was a arch on the aft end. I had 4 rigid solar panels on the top and a hoist for the dinghy underneath.
Sometime weight is a main factor. Rigid panels are much heavier than semiflex and in turn require heavier support.
facciatosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 15:58   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Depends on the size of the hole.

I prefer a spin cutter for these larger fasteners.
I would agree. I went back and looked at them after posting and came to the same conclusion that those specific fasteners needed a bigger hole than just a “push through”. I’ve not tried those yet, but am looking because I only plan on putting a couple panels up when heading out for multiple days. Otherwise while at the dock or day sailing, there is no need to leave them up and exposed. I’ll just lay them flat under an aft berth mattress. In reference to that specific style fastener, they do make a model with two holes for through-fasteners that might be a better option if properly supported.
Old 02-03-2021, 17:53   #21

The whole point to flexible panels on the bimini is to keep the nice lines of the boat rather than having it look like Mad Max.

Everything is a compromise.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 19:16   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.g.evans View Post
When I researched solar panels many years ago I found that the amorphous flexible panels had half the output of rigid panels. You don't want the boom to shade any panels or the output will be zero. My solution was a arch on the aft end. I had 4 rigid solar panels on the top and a hoist for the dinghy underneath.
It must have been some time since you compared. Flexible panels are nearly as efficient and sized per watt as their rigid brothers. Rigid is more durable still, no doubt. But requires an arch - which if done right (expensive) can look well integrated. Or you can buy the arch in a box kit and have an awkward, oversized abomination stuck on the back of an otherwise sleek boat. When you include the cost of an arch, you could purchase several rounds of flexible panels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder View Post
The whole point to flexible panels on the bimini is to keep the nice lines of the boat rather than having it look like Mad Max.

Everything is a compromise.
EXACTLY!!
Old 02-03-2021, 20:54   #23

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrcooler View Post
It must have been some time since you compared. Flexible panels are nearly as efficient and sized per watt as their rigid brothers. Rigid is more durable still, no doubt. But requires an arch - which if done right (expensive) can look well integrated. Or you can buy the arch in a box kit and have an awkward, oversized abomination stuck on the back of an otherwise sleek boat. When you include the cost of an arch, you could purchase several rounds of flexible panels.

EXACTLY!!
Yes indeed. Each to their own, but we prefer our panels to be effectively invisible. The ones on the arch, no one knows are there (same width, and on aluminium sheet substrate, curving around the arch curve).

Next step is a pair of the largest semi's we can find to go on the bimini (between the main arch and the first hoop). The only giveaway should be the shadow.

Great to know the efficiency is coming up on semi's also.
Old 02-03-2021, 23:43   #24

We have three flex solar panels mounted on the Bimini with zippers. Zipper is stitched onto the fles panel. Strong connection and they have resisted 47 knots of wind without a problem. Easy to take off at the end of season.
hanjohuizing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 12:22   #25

Boat: Gulfstar, Hirsch, 45'

OK, just to post an update on the first attempt. I installed the 4 solar panels with 12 magnets each 1.25X.125 thick. thought they were strong enough, but when a 90 degree 30Kt wind hit they all went flying like a kite. ugh. all the magnets on the bottom cracked when they hit the floor. they looked great, but I wont use those again for that purpose. I'm going to use the spin cutter and fasteners from sailright. it was worth a try though. thanks all
Rubicon King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 13:17   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon King View Post
OK, just to post an update on the first attempt. I installed the 4 solar panels with 12 magnets each 1.25X.125 thick. thought they were strong enough, but when a 90 degree 30Kt wind hit they all went flying like a kite. ugh. all the magnets on the bottom cracked when they hit the floor. they looked great, but I wont use those again for that purpose. I'm going to use the spin cutter and fasteners from sailright. it was worth a try though. thanks all
Thanks for updating. I wish others did more consistently on this forum. If possible, please post pictures during/after installing the other fasteners. I’ll hopefully be working on solar for mine this summer.

Tags
adhesive, bimini, solar