Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2015, 13:55   #31

Re: New fighting fire product

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
Very useful especially if the user happens to be asleep, ashore at the tiki bar
I try not to sleep at tiki bars
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 14:06   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
I try not to sleep at tiki bars
That just means you're either a party machine or you're departing prematurely.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 16:08   #33

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
No, I am suggesting that your suggestion of ethnocentrism is entirely incorrect and that the fairly sensible suspicion of Chinese made products is well founded based upon recent historical fact. By the way only one product I mentioned as an example was counterfeit. The other two, both of which nearly killed me, were bona fide, over the counter Chinese made garbage.

I think you have misunderstood me. There is NO doubt that China is the king of fake counterfeit items of all sorts and dangerous items. NO DOUBT.

BUT, it's equally clear there are also a lot of bonafide products that come out of China which do meet Australian (some of the worlds highest safety standards) and US/Canada criteria.

With this product you seem to be dismissing it for not other reason than it's built in China? Based on an experience you have had of a totally different product built in China that was not safe?

That is certainly heading towards ethnocentrism. It's a bit like the claim from Harley Davidson MC that Asian or 'Jap' bikes are crap. Whereas Japanese products of almost any sort now days are of the highest standards of both manufacture and safety.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 16:12   #34

Quote:
From your linked document (I did not notice any certification board approval notes):

"Eye contact: Causes eye irritation due to ethylene glycol or propylene glycol content.

First-aid measures : Remove victim to fresh air and provide oxygen if breathing is difficult. Get medical attention.
Inhalation Indigestion:     Give one or two glasses of water and induce vomiting. Get medical attention.

Skin contact: Clean with water and soap.

Eye contact: Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 10 minutes while holding lids open. Get medical attention."

So causes severe eye irritation, at least. And is explosive. And refers to a person who comes in contact with its products as a "victim". I know for SURE I wouldn't want this going off in my face as I was trying to put out a fire on board by conventional (and proven effective) means.
It's an MSDS sheet! Do you not know what an MSDS sheet is? NO, they do not have certifications listed in them. They are not for that. They are about 'safety'. And NO, you would not want this going off in your face. The safety directions alone would indicate you should not be around it when it goes off. And YES, it's 'explosive', it's designed to be.
Old 21-07-2015, 17:07   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwheel View Post
Okay, got another one for y'all:

The Blazecut T-series.

Description | Blazecut

There's a video of it on YouTube suppressing a fire in the engine compartment of a VW Minivan.

Anyone know about it, or have it?

Matt
Thanks Matt, similar sort of thing but without the mess looking at the contents. It's basically an ordinary fire extinguisher that goes off when it melts.
Old 21-07-2015, 21:16   #36

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
It's an MSDS sheet! Do you not know what an MSDS sheet is? NO, they do not have certifications listed in them. They are not for that. They are about 'safety'. And NO, you would not want this going off in your face. The safety directions alone would indicate you should not be around it when it goes off. And YES, it's 'explosive', it's designed to be.
So you want this on a boat (by definition a small enclosed space)? How are you going to make sure it doesn't go off in your, or others' face? If intended as a replacement for a clean agent system for engine rooms or the like I would simply ask: Why? If for any other space it seems to me obviously inappropriate for a boat environment.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 21:19   #37

Quote:
I think you have misunderstood me. There is NO doubt that China is the king of fake counterfeit items of all sorts and dangerous items. NO DOUBT.

BUT, it's equally clear there are also a lot of bonafide products that come out of China which do meet Australian (some of the worlds highest safety standards) and US/Canada criteria.

With this product you seem to be dismissing it for not other reason than it's built in China? Based on an experience you have had of a totally different product built in China that was not safe?

That is certainly heading towards ethnocentrism. It's a bit like the claim from Harley Davidson MC that Asian or 'Jap' bikes are crap. Whereas Japanese products of almost any sort now days are of the highest standards of both manufacture and safety.
Where did I say that there were not good products from China? But that there are so many suspect means that those which are not yet fully demonstrated to be excellent products (such as this very new idea, for example), must be treated with particular caution. No? Further, how am I dismissing it on that sole criterion? You appear to ignore the completely cogent reasons I put forward, some derived from the product's own literature… You are setting up a strawman from what I said, which is unwarranted. And the ethnocentrism idea is ridiculous. I had previously even thought of using my love of Japanese products as a counterexample, but since you brought it up, meantime: YES! Damn straight! Thanks for another exquisite strawman. Actually you have no idea what my ethnic origins are… so your suggestion of "ethnocentrism" is particularly inappropriate, but please… don't say that one more time… or rather do, if you really like a hostage to fortune.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 21-07-2015, 21:58   #38

Quote:

Apart from my comments above, it has just occurred to me that your assumption regarding my own ethnicity is, well, extraordinarily ethnocentric.
Old 22-07-2015, 00:17   #39

Quote:
Apart from my comments above, it has just occurred to me that your assumption regarding my own ethnicity is, well, extraordinarily ethnocentric.
I made NO assumptions about your ethnicity what so ever. I apologise for any offence you received. It certainly wasn't my intent.

ethnocentrism has nothing to do with whatever your ethnicity might be. Nothing at all. I think your confusing what I said with some kind of 'racism' implication. And that certainly was not my meaning or intent.
Old 22-07-2015, 00:40   #40

Quote:
I made NO assumptions about your ethnicity what so ever. I apologise for any offence you received. It certainly wasn't my intent.

ethnocentrism has nothing to do with whatever your ethnicity might be. Nothing at all. I think your confusing what I said with some kind of 'racism' implication. And that certainly was not my meaning or intent.