Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2007, 09:38   #1

New Sails

I am replacing the sails on a 411 Beneteau. I have several quotes, and of course prices all over the board. How does the uninformed compare sails from a company such as "Cruising Sails Direct", which based on the fabric, and trade names such as "NorDc4800" seem to be a division of North sails but with considerably better pricing, and a company such as "Nationalsail.com" . This company quotes the same, 7oz, and 9oz dacron, triple stiched seams, handsewn leather chafe protection, and "Sunbrella" UV protection, but at almost half the price.

The price for the same sails directly from the North Sail loft, was 3 times the price from "nationalsail.com"

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Rick
Contrails II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:53   #2

Boat: Westsail 32
Rick,

Have you considered used sails from one of the reputable used sail dealers.
It is possible to get a great deal on lightly used sails, people trade in sails for all types of reasons. One mans loss is anothers gain. North sails has a tremendous advertising program and those costs have to be passed along to the customer. If you have your heart set on new cloth (plastic), do some reasearch and try to find a "small" high quality loft, near to you, they are out there. Go meet the sailmaker, a good set of sails takes alot of understanding from the loft as to what type of sailor you are and how you use the vessel. Ideally you want a sailmaker who is willing to come to the vessel and spend the time to understand what will best fit your needs.

Cheers,

CB
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:55   #3

Used sails are sooooo much cheaper. I've had good results with these guys: Sail Exchange

But google'ing "used sails" brings up a lot of others as well.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:01   #4
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Rick,

While I'm not familiar with "nationalsail.com" there are many others out there. Most are made in China/Taiwan. This is not a bad thing in most cases. I'll paste in what I had on my web sight about when I bought sails:

Prior to purchasing my sails, I shopped the Internet and the boat shows. If you absolutely must have the latest and greatest technology, latest and greatest materials, and the latest and greatest NAMES on your sails, then by all means believe what you see and hear at the boat shows and web sites, and purchase from those ‘Leading Manufacturers’. However, if you are a cruiser, or IMHO anything but a racer, you should consider buying your sails from places out side the U.S.

The major problem with buying outside the U.S. is that you cannot go visit them while they are making your sails – you cannot ‘touch and feel’ the clothes (although some will send you samples if you request it). ALWAYS review your order very carefully with the vendor before committing funds. Always request triple stitching.

I only retained the web addresses of two of the many different sail makers:
http://www.netfun.com/cgi-bin/hksail/quote.htm
Fareastsails, Hong Kong Sailmakers for Performance Cruising Sails
I wound up using Fareast Sails. After having gone through their processing, and having received and used their sails, I would rate them at a 7 (of 10). I have seen sails ordered from some of the local major manufacturers, and I would rate their products between 7.5 and 8.5 (. For the huge difference in pricing (about 45% of the ‘discounted sale’ price of the US manufacturers), I will accept and be happy with a 7.

Treat them like they are a computer program you are writing (spell out ALL your requirements exactly and try and think of how many ways they could goof and try to address those items). Example: They placed the 2nd reefing tack right next to a slide – makes it a bit difficult to set the sail properly. In the case of Fareast Sails, you have to deal with a middleman and some things are not clear or are not conveyed, as you would like.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 13:22   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrails II View Post
I am replacing the sails on a 411 Beneteau.
Ring your closest Sunsail or Moorings charter office and ask where they get theirs done.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 16:47   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Our sails were done by Rolly Tasker in Thailand. Here is there website. Sailmakers, Yacht Sails, Sailmaker, Racing Sails, Boat Sail Makers, Sail Designers, Crosscut Sail, Gennaker, Spinnaker

It appears that National Sail is a distributer for them. It might explain the low pricing.

Our sails are 6 years old and doing fine.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 22:29   #7

I'm replacing my 35# cqr as I get ready for long term cruising. The 35# CQR and Bruce have served me well for cruising in the protected waters of the NW, and where I can tie to a dock if a "real" storm kicks up. I've read the bulletins and reports on the different types of anchors, and have settled on the Delta. I like the spade, but not sure I can justify the extra cost (55# delta is about $350 less than a 44# spade).

As WM now has the anchors on sale.... and not desiring to stir up more anchor type controversy... my question is... for a 37' Tayana, displacement of 22,000#, would the 55# delta be overkill... and would a 44# suffice as the primary anchor. I'll carry the bruce as well as a fortress (as well as an old fisherman style) for second anchors and for soft mud bottoms. The primary anchor is on an all-chain rode. I like the idea of the 55# for added security, but not really excited about the extra weight, especially if it's not really needed.
Old 12-02-2014, 13:24   #8

Boat: Roberts 482
Re: New Sails

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Elusive View Post
Rick,

While I'm not familiar with "nationalsail.com" there are many others out there. Most are made in China/Taiwan. This is not a bad thing in most cases. I'll paste in what I had on my web sight about when I bought sails:

Prior to purchasing my sails, I shopped the Internet and the boat shows. If you absolutely must have the latest and greatest technology, latest and greatest materials, and the latest and greatest NAMES on your sails, then by all means believe what you see and hear at the boat shows and web sites, and purchase from those ‘Leading Manufacturers’. However, if you are a cruiser, or IMHO anything but a racer, you should consider buying your sails from places out side the U.S.

The major problem with buying outside the U.S. is that you cannot go visit them while they are making your sails – you cannot ‘touch and feel’ the clothes (although some will send you samples if you request it). ALWAYS review your order very carefully with the vendor before committing funds. Always request triple stitching.

I only retained the web addresses of two of the many different sail makers:
http://www.netfun.com/cgi-bin/hksail/quote.htm
Fareastsails, Hong Kong Sailmakers for Performance Cruising Sails
I wound up using Fareast Sails. After having gone through their processing, and having received and used their sails, I would rate them at a 7 (of 10). I have seen sails ordered from some of the local major manufacturers, and I would rate their products between 7.5 and 8.5 (. For the huge difference in pricing (about 45% of the ‘discounted sale’ price of the US manufacturers), I will accept and be happy with a 7.

Treat them like they are a computer program you are writing (spell out ALL your requirements exactly and try and think of how many ways they could goof and try to address those items). Example: They placed the 2nd reefing tack right next to a slide – makes it a bit difficult to set the sail properly. In the case of Fareast Sails, you have to deal with a middleman and some things are not clear or are not conveyed, as you would like.
=============

I went with Fareast sails also - I would rate them higher than 7 more like 8.5 - but I have cruising sails. I think to be a 9 or 10 you need to be in laminate type radial cut sails.

I too looked at North - they had Nordac or some cloth, but, what it really is just a generic cloth with their name to keep from buying the more expensive cloths from Bainbridge Challenge or Contender (Worldwide known name brands).

My old sails were Doyle and new sails are as good if not better - and a lot less.

I think next sails will be Challenge Warp Drive Radial cut, just because I think I could afford it and I would like to try Radial
Tom52 is offline   Reply With Quote