Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2019, 07:39   #1

Newer Magma grills - temperature control?

Hey Everyone -

Looking to upgrade from my old Magma grill due to a variety of reasons. Been reading the threads and some articles and am narrowing in on staying with a true Marine grill.

At this point the rectangle Magma infrared seem to be the front runners.

My question is for anyone who has bought one of these in the last couple of years - is there any temperature control? Like is there an actual low-medium-high?

My existing magma kettle burns at inferno hot and that is IT.

Thanks for the feedback!
jpeac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:07   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Newer Magma grills - temperature control?

I have three Magma grills, to include the IR Magma, two I left in the barn, the IR Magma I gave to my Son to use on his porch.
None of them are worth crap, they all burn too hot, the IR made no difference that I could tell.

Based on reports here, I bought and installed a Weber a couple of years ago, and it’s not a Marine grill, it’s much, much better, it actually stays lit, it’s electronic lighter still works, and it has honest to God low temp settings to go along with the incinerate setting. It’s simply just a much , much better grill.
It’s not a pretty as it’s not shiny, but it works where the Magma doesn’t.

All this is my opinion of course, grills are I guess a lot like anchors, people have different experiences with them.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0036.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	195503
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 14:03   #3

Boat: Lagoon 450
Re: Newer Magma grills - temperature control?

I purchased an IR Magma 2 years ago. I have the typical blue control valve that regulates temp. I'm just about to install my third burner. I've also replace 2 heat screens at a ridiculous price of $37 bucks each.

I try and keep a low heat but most of the parts are warping from too much heat. I'm disappointed.
mr336 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
agm, Grill