Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2019, 11:19   #1

No Victron Technical Support

I bought a new Victron SmartSolar 100/15 MPPT controller. Bought into all the promised Bluetooth data collection. It didn't work correctly. Found out that Victron has no technical support. They have pushed this to the "dealers". Best I could get after several days was a response from a Victron "staff" person on their Victron Community blog. Fairly generic it said to take it back to dealer and have them test it and replace it if there is a problem. Not very realistic. Luckily l bought it from a local shop and not online. I took it back and they sent it back to their distributor. I may get a replacement. Two lessons: 1) if you want technical support you are basically on your own. Victron is not paying for an engineer to talk to you. Apparently they are not paying for any technical support. 2) make sure if you going to buy a Victron product you get it from a full service shop and not online from a retailer. I will add that there is no stated guarantee or return policy for this part.
svkatface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 12:14   #2

Boat: sabre 28
Re: No Victron Technical Support

I don't know where you live but that hasn't been experience with the folks from Maine.
In fact I was called back from two different people. Just saying....
Old 14-02-2019, 15:10   #3
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

yes all that is a crock IMO

Justin has been very responsive via email, their docs are very open and clear (yes some gaps at the high end from a Big Picture POV), the owner / designer participates in the support process, feedback is taken onboard in the ongoing development process, they're supportive of FOSS developers, I think all round a most excellent company to work for.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 15:11   #4
cruiser

And the 5-year warranty is well spelled out
Old 14-02-2019, 15:14   #5

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

I've had no problem with support.
Even had help from victron on their blog

https://community.victronenergy.com/index.html
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 03:38   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by svkatface View Post
... Found out that Victron has no technical support. They have pushed this to the "dealers"...

... make sure if you going to buy a Victron product you get it from a full service shop and not online from a retailer. I will add that there is no stated guarantee or return policy for this part.
Indeed.

"Victron products are supported by a worldwide distributor network. Victron provides distributors with training and resources so that they can provide sales, support, servicing, design and warranty to customers. This includes sales made online through webshops. We want you to have a great experience with our products. If your distributor is unable to assist you, they can contact a Victron Manager who will provide the necessary training."
https://www.victronenergy.com/support
Downloads ☞ https://www.victronenergy.com/suppor...loads/software
Dealer Finder ☞ https://www.victronenergy.com/where-to-buy

“LIMITED WARRANTY POLICY” (mostly exclusions)
https://www.solar-electric.com/lib/w...nty_Policy.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 09:44   #7

Boat: Gulfstar 37 Sloop

Lots of support in the PNW
artisanmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 12:53   #8
cruiser

Bruce @ Ocean Planet and Alan from Bay Marine are my go-to Victron vendors.

I bet buying through Maine Sail would also be a good bet.
Old 15-02-2019, 13:47   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Wild Cherry

What a winer!
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 14:19   #10
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat

About six years ago, when installing my first LFP bank for a client, I had a difficult time loading an update to the first LFP Assistant for a Victron Multi-Plus 3000. It just would not load and the software would not let me proceed without the update. It was 1800 EST and I fired off an email to Victron expressing my frustration. I packed up my tools, and was ready to step off the boat when my phone rang and showed a foreign phone number. It was Mathis Vader, the top guy at Victron. He said "I see you are frustrated" to which I replied "You're damned right I am!" Now note that they are six hours ahead of us so it was already midnight there. To make a long sea story a bit shorter, Mathis took control of my computer, could not get the update to load, woke up his senior software engineer, the engineer fixed a bug, the program updated and the battery bank was on line. I walked off the boat at 2030.

So, OP, Victron does provide technical support, and go above and beyond on a regular basis, they truly monitor and respond to comments on the Community site and provide service that most marine electrical manufacturers only wish they could provide.
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 15:24   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Charlie Johnson's (hi!) experience mirrors mine. Indeed, Victron and their distributors provide some of the best support and warranty service in the industry. We say this not because we sell their products, but we sell their products because it is so!
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 17:13   #12

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post
I don't know where you live but that hasn't been experience with the folks from Maine.
In fact I was called back from two different people. Just saying....
Who called you back, Victron or your reseller? Big difference, and it seems the OP wasn't too impressed with his reseller's effort.

Having said that, I also do miss a "proper" ticketing system on their site. They seem to rely on the forum, which gets answered by other customers (which I have done several times myself) or by their staff, if you're lucky enough or prompt them a few times (also something I had to do).

One has to assume that the resellers have their own line to Victron's tech support. I didn't even think about contacting outbackmarine.com.au with my question... doh.

Either way, their technical documentation is quite good and should answer most questions.

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 22:50   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by svkatface View Post
Bought into all the promised Bluetooth data collection. It didn't work correctly.
If you could be a little more specific, there is a lot of knowledge here that could help you out.

I had an issue with the Smart Battery Sense talking to my MPPT via bluetooth. I'd hazard a guess this is what you had trouble with as well. I know all dealers are not aware that the Smart Battery Sense can have extremely limited bluetooth range.

I did not have trouble talking to Justin of Victron and decided because of the level of support for the product here, to go with a 712, about five times more expensive than the Smart Batttery Sense but it does provide more information, and on my boat works (almost) flawlessly.
Old 16-02-2019, 09:16   #14
cruiser

I think the OP's goal was to vent or bash, not actually seek constructive help solving a current problem.

Great to see the truth of the matter so vehemently defended, actually reinforcing the great reputation of an exceptional company.
Old 24-02-2019, 05:52   #15

Boat: dutch barge. 61ft

Victron support has been steller, With Justin in the US always responds quickly, even when it is a weekend, even once when his new born was being delivered ! Matthijs also responds, calling back and emailing in the middle of a weekend and late at night.

The moral is, buy from a DEALER, and the poster must by now understand from all the positive comments that there is STELLAR service
dutch-barge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal