Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2011, 10:21   #1

Ocens - a Warning

G'day all,
A few months ago I bought a new Iridium handset along with a prepaid airtime package both from Ocens, I only used the phone a couple of times to test it when it arrived. Upon leaving the galapagos I switched it on to make a call and it appears there is a problem with the prepaid airtime, this could have actually happened much earlier however I hadn't used the handset in a while. Anyhow, email enquiries re this to ocens have been met with silence and it appears they have no intention of resolving the issue, which means 650 bucks worth of airtime in the toilet...hmmm. I'm not sure this is simply bad servoce because they were good up until this point so it may be a reflection on their comapny health....so....beware folks!!

Adios
A
Doe818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 10:52   #2

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: Ocens - a warning

Get in touch with the carrier and see what they say about it...
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 16:19   #3

The bummer about many of the prepaid plans is that they are only good for x months ( x depending on plan ), and one has to buy an extension to insure the minutes are not lost....

It certainly manages to make it a difficult choice as to what to get, prepaid or postpaid....

What type of package did you get, and when?
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:15   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

You bought a prepaid time slot for the phone? You didn't use the time paid for? If this is correct then why be mad at them? Or am I missing something?.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 16:09   #5

Re: Ocens - a Warning

Apologies for the late reply, been out of touch for a while. Yes it was prepaid, but with a 12 month validity that commenced in march this year, so there was still over 11 months to go when it stopped working...the latest update is that there isn't really one...the phone still does not work...however, a guy from ocens finally got back to me (after 2 months of me sending reminders re this) and said he thinks the phone is bad and has to be returned to them to be repaired...since I am in Tahiti now that is going to take a while and no success is g/teed...will let you know what happens but this was not intended to be a gripe msg, but rather a warning to all, if they're interested.
Old 22-06-2011, 03:38   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

Don't you just love customer service.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 02:30   #7

Boat: Hanse 445 - 2012
Send a message via Skype™ to James Baines

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Don't you just love customer service.......i2f
Sadly, with many large firms these days, “Customer Service” actually equates to “Customer Contempt” . On the other hand, the smaller firms seem to really care...
Old 24-04-2012, 21:31   #8

Re: Ocens - weather vs. IPad w/ Weather4D

Who has used Ocens weather software for PC vs. Weather4D for IPad and with what results via Satphone???
Skip Kleger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 22:33   #9

Boat: 73 pearson 35

next time pay with a credit card and dispute the claim on your card.....
i can do this up to 90 days on mine.
Bet cust service will be calling YOU.....
mARK
travler37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 01:12   #10

Mark, thats a great idea, I should have checked if that was possible at the time.
I eventually got the repaired phone back in fiji (under warranty but they even made me pay for the priority freight from tahiti to the US and customs clearance in fiji)....so the whole trip from east coast US to Fiji the satphone was either not working or away for repairs, then I laid up in fiji for the cyclone season so basically the 2000 dollar satphone and airtime could never be used. I'm about to return to the boat but the 500 minutes of prepaid airtime expired in March (one year after purchase)....go figure, I should have called someone in vladivostok for the time for 500 minutes just to use them nstead of giving them back to the tools....NEVER AGAIN!!!
Old 25-04-2012, 01:30   #11

Boat: 73 pearson 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe818 View Post
Mark, thats a great idea, I should have checked if that was possible at the time.
I eventually got the repaired phone back in fiji (under warranty but they even made me pay for the priority freight from tahiti to the US and customs clearance in fiji)....so the whole trip from east coast US to Fiji the satphone was either not working or away for repairs, then I laid up in fiji for the cyclone season so basically the 2000 dollar satphone and airtime could never be used. I'm about to return to the boat but the 500 minutes of prepaid airtime expired in March (one year after purchase)....go figure, I should have called someone in vladivostok for the time for 500 minutes just to use them nstead of giving them back to the tools....NEVER AGAIN!!!
Sucks to be you......
That is my humor........all you can do but smile and move on.
You said back in Fiji.
Just a thought if your heading south for the season or anywhere there is a iridum.spelling...grins.....dealer go do a face to face with documentation.If phone was in transit they might give you a credit.....or a 2 for one deal if you buy more time.hint.
ben there and it worked.But i had to dispute there charge on my card first so your milage may vary...
Talking loud in any mans shop tends to have some sort of results.....and i did not take a swing at the cop in pucket.was the thai whisky.....
Mark
travler37 is offline   Reply With Quote