Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2010, 11:06   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman_Tx View Post
Too much LSD in the bongwater? LOL
Tahts waht hapnad 2 me
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:09   #17

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Maintenance shmaintenance! But look, Prof, it FITS!
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 16:21   #18

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
Yeah fishman, you have had experience with SWBT, then SBC and now ATT engineers? Like I always said, as I ignored their prints, wired it the way it should be and called in the correction, Engineers, ahhh they are OK but I would not want my daughter to marry one.
Old 06-01-2010, 16:33   #19

Boat: Jeanneau 57
I installed my Victron and had similar issues - and I have a 230V boat; but the DC cables barely fit in and the small control wire panel is situated dangerously close to the DC + and - power leads and the manual didn't explain how the whole assembly could be removed, so I taped up all the metal in that area and tried to get the wires into the slots, that was a real PITA until I inadvertantly stumbled upon the correct method. All in all I had issues with the installation, but not quite as bad as the OP encountered.
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 19:37   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Maybe a little thread drift but along these same lines, the oil filters on my last two boats were under the block in the back of the engine. Did a little googling and found a remote filter mount that as a bonus is a dual system with one standard filter and one ultra fine bypass filter. Can't wait to get that installed. Hope it works as advertised. Anyone use or familiar with Amsoil dual filter system?

Skip
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 19:55   #21
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

" If the nuts loosen over time," A good place to use liquid vinyl (Liquid 'Lectric) over the connections. It prevents them from loosening, it insulates if something does get to them, and it can be peeled off clean when need be.

Maybe you could get Apple to build an iCharger for sailors? I'm sure it wouldn't have any of those problems, although it might cost three times the price and only work with 18-volt systems. Which would also be available from your Apple dealer. (WEG)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:33   #22

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
Yeah fishman, you have had experience with SWBT, then SBC and now ATT engineers? Like I always said, as I ignored their prints, wired it the way it should be and called in the correction, Engineers, ahhh they are OK but I would not want my daughter to marry one.
Well, guess what? I was a Comm Construction engineer for 10 years in the USAF as well!!
Old 07-01-2010, 18:51   #23
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
in my former life I was a professional elctronics design engineer mainly working in AC drives systems for robotic car assembly , so Ican comment on both the car design and the electronics!

(a) were professionals, you think we design anything some uneducated pleb can fix. hah think again

(b) we have $$$$ of diagnostics , special tools etc that allow us to get to the unservicable thingy, youre meant to buy them and then spend $$$$x2 on training, even then you;ll never fix it like my robots can.

(c) weve spent zillions on establishing a overpaid, poorly trained expensive dealer servicing and installation network, you think we make it easy to install and fix ...pleaaaseeee,

(d) we know how to use the $$$$tooling to create good splices and what not, whadda need all the spaces between the connectors. see (c) as well.

(e) all the components fail about 1 month after the new model comes out, sure we could make the damm thing last forever, however that gets us fired

(f) marketing designs all spare parts and pricing.

(g) since we wrote the software we know all the funny front panel button sequences that we dont document in the manual and that actually make the unit sit up and beg, what, we have to keep some mystery in it, see the bit about the risk of being fired. we like to be indespensible, hence unreadable manuals, unexplained faults and wierd non-documented operation.

(h)our design work absolutly perfect in the design lab, after that all bets are off, anyway marketing gets involved and everything they touch....

(i) since we test all our designs without any cases ( we call them enclosures). we have no idea how difficult it is to wire up with the final case installed, we have no problem wiring to the PCB, anyway marketing designed the case, actually Jenny, 21 and just out of college designed it, shes completely clueless, but hey she brightens up the place.( and marketing keep putting her in the PR photo shoots in a white coat and bs-ing about our new "advanced transderm reciprecating invertor technologytm").

(j) first level tech support ..hah, these guys couldnt tie there shoes properly, we train em..right see (g) above.

see folks all explained
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:31   #24

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
LOL... I bet your are not far off the mark!
But it seems that someone in the marketing chain of a large marine company should stop and say.... I installed that last week and it sucked to install it and btw, who the $%^# wrote that install manual?
IN a perfect world......
Old 08-01-2010, 07:14   #25

Like I said I think most engineers are dain bramaged...brain damaged...what was I saying? Oh yeah! LSD in the bongwater...right...