Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2021, 06:34   #31

Boat: Leisure 27
Re: Opinion on Nanni Engines??

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Apparently good engines, but the big problem is on the back end - hard to get parts and/or service anywhere but... UK is it?

Someone who has more specifics please chime in. This is just some scuttlebutt I've heard - or may have read on this Forum.

LittleWing77
You could also take one from Beta Diesel . Is Uk based and uses the same Kubota engines as nanni . https://www.nannienergy.com/nanni-engines-ranges.html .
YellowBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2021, 07:43   #32

Boat: Chris Craft Dory 22'

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
I had a Nanni. It is a Kubota marinized in France. The engine itself is not the problem. Getting parts is, at least here in the USA.
There may be Nanni distributors in the USA that could help you with parts,
One of my customers repowered his boat 10 - 15 years ago with Nanni diesel engines. His where based on a Toyota diesel engine. As others have said, good engines, although Toyota parts in the US are non existent. The main problem he had was the exhaust manifold / heat exchanger failed. Blew a hole between the exhaust side and the coolant side. We had to go to the ONE US distributor for the parts, and it was almost a 3 month wait for the parts pre covid, and quite expensive. We also needed a replacement waste gate actuator, that was only a month wait.
NNBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2021, 07:56   #33
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Hence engine choice is often more about parts distribution then absolute quality. Hence why having a Volvo Penta is a big plus.
Old 15-10-2021, 08:20   #34

I recently helped a guy change oil on his Catalina 30. He had a beta 25 installed years ago. He really likes the orientation of the oil filter.
edlepera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2021, 08:59   #35

Boat: CHB MV 35

Our '86 Nanni Mercedes has been trouble free during our 13 yr. "watch", with the exception that we had to have an elbow in the exhaust manifold replaced with a
custom built SS elbow -
scott meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2021, 09:02   #36

Hello, My experience so far on an older Nanni 5280 is that they are a good engine but this on a canal boat and a fairly easy life. What I wanted to convey is that it can be difficult to get parts as the main Kubota sources will not supply parts and even getting a cross reference to the Kubota original part numbers seems hard. You seem to be channelled into the Nanni distributors and some of the pricing (at least in New Zealand ) is fairly expensive. Some of the Nanni conversions are based on other blocks including Toyota and the parts business may be easier. I would say the engineering on the conversions is done very well with no obvious weak areas so far (3 years ). Good luck with this anyway. Cheers Peter
lapuntru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2021, 09:15   #37

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Greenland 34

I have 2 Nanni’s. 4.34 TDI 135hp. They are fantastic engines. Almost 20 years old and about 600hrs. One burns a little oil but that it. Fuel burn is amazing. I cruise at 15-18knots at about 2200 rpm burning 4-5gph total for both engines. I was having problems getting parts but found distributors here in the US that are very receptive. SunPower in south Florida is very good. Also RDI in Seattle. When I researching need to rebuild because of oil burning I found 2 interesting points. Beta doesn’t not offer an engine more than 85hp in the US. Nanni is the only one that has simple old style non electric engines that meet EPA requirements. Nanni still makes a 135hp engine that I can get for less than 20K if I decide to repower. Personally I would avoid Yanmar and Volvo. Too many problems with electrical.
Marcsailcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2021, 10:06   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
I
no work around when the computer fails. Beta, I believe, is still a mechanical system.
I was told that about my Scania DC09. It is running fine with a mechanical control system. No diesel engineers have heard of anyone else doing that.

I won't have electronics on primary systems.
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2021, 11:53   #39

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Hence engine choice is often more about parts distribution then absolute quality. Hence why having a Volvo Penta is a big plus.
Yes...especially the 2000 and 2010 series. They were real gems.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2021, 13:29   #40

Boat: Amel 41
Send a message via Yahoo to lo2jones

Offer 5o pay 1/2 or some other portion to get the motor you like.
lo2jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2021, 13:59   #41

Boat: Van de Stadt 38'

I have Nanni with Mercedes block 43HP & Hurth gearbox, for the last 25 years. It never gave me any problems.

Replacements over the years are: SW impellers, oil+ filter, SW anodes, anti freeze coolant and one primer pump. It's just the usual stuff for any engine

Nothing but praise for the old Nanni.
pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2021, 09:36   #42

I don't know if I'm being a bit thick here, but have you looked at a replacement Perkins engine?
I see they are now owned by Caterpillar.
Spares still available worldwide for the old engines.

It's also not rocket science to build a stainless water cooled exhaust manifold, and to find a generic heat exchanger .

Maybe I'm missing the obvious in this,....or seeing it where no-one else is.
Elleroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2021, 15:21   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by skenn_ie View Post
I was told that about my Scania DC09. It is running fine with a mechanical control system. No diesel engineers have heard of anyone else doing that.

I won't have electronics on primary systems.

Including this one. It rather depends on what you call primary control, if your Scania is common rail with an ECU are you referring to the gear selector and engine speed control as “Primary control” or have you somehow reverted it to mechanical injection. I’m genuinely interested.
Scania make superb engines but your 5cylinder is new to me apart from seeing one at a boat show.
Pete
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2021, 15:38   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elleroo View Post
I don't know if I'm being a bit thick here, but have you looked at a replacement Perkins engine?
I see they are now owned by Caterpillar.
Spares still available worldwide for the old engines.

It's also not rocket science to build a stainless water cooled exhaust manifold, and to find a generic heat exchanger .

Maybe I'm missing the obvious in this,....or seeing it where no-one else is.

All good points Elleroo but the OP isn’t buying or installing the replacement and the seller is going to go for the softest option.
Caterpillar parts are really expensive and as far as I know they only use the Perkins/Shibaura range in generators and skidsteers, I haven’t seen a marine offering yet.
I totally agree with marinising a known base engine if you have the skills and the time but I suspect most of the forum would prefer to be out sailing, not slugging it out with a welding machine and lathe in a workshop.
Either Nanni or Betamarine will be just fine but I’m wary of the Twindisc (formerly Technodrive) gearbox
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2021, 16:45   #45

Boat: Kitson 1200

Hi skipperpete what is your concern with the Twindisc gearbox? Are your referring to saildrives or a standard gearbox? I have Twindisc saildrives and have not had any problems.
mjamesw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine